photo post test

• 6.5K Views
  • Last Post 23 December 2012
biddulph posted this 21 December 2012

Hi guys,

this is a test to see if I can post a picture on this system.

The photo is my bed for the night in the Painted Desert in Central Australia. Height of summer in late January, no need for a sheet even to sleep with.

Rifle is my 224 Weatherby Varmint Master, German made.

Not a soul to be seen out here at this time of year. Perfect solitude.

cheers

James

Attached Files

Order By: Standard | Newest | Votes
biddulph posted this 21 December 2012

Hey, it worked!

thanks guys for all the tips. I'll sort this out yet!

This shot is painted desert scenery. I think it got its name from the one you guys have in the states.

I did a slow drive that day as 40c outside and lots of flys till sunset. Had 50 hours of audio books and good airconitioning so cruised at about 30mph. very relaxing really.

Camps were just a spot to lay my sleeping mat down off the road and out of sight.

OK I've sorted out how to attach pictures. Thank the good Lord for that!!

cheers

James

Attached Files

RicinYakima posted this 22 December 2012

Beautiful country! Similar to eastern Nevada and western Utah. Ric

Attached Files

biddulph posted this 22 December 2012

My old reloading set up.

Renovations have caused my beautiful cyclone shelter to be demolished but it will arise from the ashes as a wonderful space 3 times the size.

Note air conditioner which is essential in a climate oh so worse than Florida's..

Attached Files

Coffe in expresso pot on camp stove and .303 Lee Enfield at dawn.

Central Australia in winter... so cold I used a tent and carried a 20 litre water bag warmed from a 12 hour drive down the 1500 km south from Darwin and moved that into the tent that night for warmth...

this was a winter trip in July.

Attached Files

Feral camel, central Australia last Xmas...

2.5 million of these awaiting my 375 H&H...

Attached Files

.224 Weatherby with Dingo.

Xmas last year.

These guys came over about 5000 years ago with the Aboriginal people.

About the same idea as a coyote. Very cunning and tough on calfs and especially sheep.

Attached Files

At the range. August this year...

Attached Files

tturner53 posted this 22 December 2012

Awesome. More please.

Attached Files

biddulph posted this 23 December 2012

Why thank you Mr. Turner!

I do a lot of trips into the bush, both a lone and with my young children. The kids love it and its the best environment for little kids: no TV or electronic stuff to clutter their minds with and healthy exercise that humans grown up with for 200 000 years or so... can't knock that!

I'll dig out a series of shots that show what my part of Australia is like, and also seek to put a cast 'spin' on them too!

Photo: how cast bullet real men heat up a frozen pasta dinner at the end of a long days drive: put it on top of the hot diesel motor... Central Aus, 2007

Attached Files

spot the dingo

Attached Files

My new years eve this year. Oodnadatta Track enroute to Brisbane to meet up the family who flew down.

A flat tyre caused me to camp here rather than join in the new years eve joy at Oodnadatta, a 'town' to give it a name, consisting of a fuel bowser, a couple of general stores and a medical service.

A quite night but cheered on by solitude and scotch on ice with beer chasers with free shooting stars thrown in... couldn't have asked for more really!

Attached Files

And happy new year! Same spot, next morning.

Attached Files

camp in the dunes south east of Alice Springs. Nice in the bowl after sunset but flies were a menace due to rainfall unusual at this time of year.

the boys ran up and down the dune all day long and fell asleep in their meals at days end... no ADHD drama's for this little lot!

They did take a few cans of diet coke up the top of the dune and the thought of them caffeinated was too much to bear so when they came down the .224 came out the cans came apart like little champs!!

Attached Files

My camping rig: Toyota 100 series 4.2 litre diesel and Kimberly Kamper off road camper van.

Pre dawn with 4 year old Rudi...

'high' country near Darwin... full of low hills really as this area is geologically very old and worn down.

Attached Files

sunset with new horse float (horse trailer for US and Canadian's) loaded with Ikea kitchen etc and weighing close to 3 tons...

Camp in just over the Norther Territory border from Queensland around January this year.

Attached Files

My boys roasting marshmallows at the horse float camp... I got the 224 weather by out and fired a few shots into a termite mound for their greater entertainment...

Attached Files

This stuff plus ice really helps at the end of a long drive with two young boys...

Attached Files

Emu at full speed.

Emu's are a common bird in Australia. not really smart and tend to stay in the middle of the track until their little brain suggests the car is far enough to the other side to make the move off.

South east of Alice Springs, central Australia this year.

Attached Files

Ferral camel near Northern Territory / South Australian border in July this year... by the time I'd got the .375 Ackley Improved out it had wandered off to places out of sight. I did have the two boys with me, 6 and 4, so was hesitant to take a quick shot for fear of a 'blood bath' type take down etc...

Gotta bood 'em easy I reckon...

Still, the meat is nice and there's lots and lots of it!

Attached Files

The new Zastava 458 Win Mag. This baby shoots 2” groups at 100 yards with the big gas checked Lyman's mould.

I've only recently started making up rounds for this and only two loads in she started to group tight. i'll keep working on it but she seems to be a real good gun.

The stock is very agricultural but the rest of it appears a real gem.

For $750 Aus she seemed like a real good buy.

I kind of like the Zastava's, I've also got one in .375 Ackley Improved which shoots cast like a dream.

Nicely built traditional Mausers for a good price. Zastava has been making guns for over 100 years so are worth a look. Yugoslavian and really are a nice basic rifle for those who don't need to buy a 'name'...

Just my humble opinion of course...

Attached Files

Show More Posts
Close