Hollywood press

• 4.9K Views
  • Last Post 02 October 2016
45ACPete posted this 30 December 2012

A local gun shop has a Hollywood press on what I call his “grab bag” bench, along with a lot of other odds and ends. I don't know the model, but it's the one with the big turret with about a dozen holes. Most of the holes had dies in them, all on the rusty side, as is the press. There is only one “ship's wheel” handle on the turret. I think I can get it pretty cheap--he was waiting for an offer--but thought I'd mention it here first and maybe get some advice. Two or three of the turret holes (empty holes) are about 1 1/2” in diameter--what would they be meant for--big .50 cal. dies or something? The machine would need a lot of cleaning up, but would be a nice project if it's worthwhile. There isn't a lot of room on my bench for such a big press, unless I retire my “do it all” Rockchucker to backup duty.

Attached Files

Order By: Standard | Newest | Votes
Pigslayer posted this 30 December 2012

Hmmmmmmmmmmm. Would like to see a picture of that. Pat

If someone else had of done to me what I did to myself . . . I'd have killed him. Humility is an asset. Heh - heh.

Attached Files

CB posted this 30 December 2012

like this one?

Attached Files

delmarskid1 posted this 30 December 2012

I think that their shell holders may be different from what we are used to.

Attached Files

45ACPete posted this 30 December 2012

I'm pretty sure the turret is bigger than the one in anachronism's picture--there are a bunch of dies--maybe six or eight in it plus two or three of those big holes. I'll have to take another look tomorrow or Monday.

Attached Files

larryfisher posted this 30 December 2012

The larger holes are for shotshell dies.

Attached Files

CB posted this 30 December 2012

I kinda want one now.

Attached Files

45ACPete posted this 31 December 2012

I was kinda hoping somebody would jump in with advice or opinion as to why some hold these presses in high regard. What can one do with one of them that can't be done with a newer turret press, or even a Rockchucker or similar single stage?

Attached Files

RicinYakima posted this 31 December 2012

Well,

1: they were the Packard's of thier day, expensive and very well made

1. you set the dies for 38 special, 45 acp, 30/06 and 12 guage which was everything anyone shot in 1948 when these hit the market

2. they cost ten times as much of as any RCBS ever made, and not many were manufactured

3. people are always willing to pay for “the best ever made"

So, I reload with a Redding “standard” press made in 1955 that weights about 6 pounds. It makes as good of ammo as anything I have ever used except L.E. Wilson arbor press dies.

WFIW, Ric

Attached Files

jaguarxk120 posted this 08 January 2013

Sounds like it is the Hollywood Universal Press. There were several different models of that press, the early ones were made of cast iron.

Later ones cast aluminum. The one model has two extra turrets, one for four shell holders, and one for four priming stems/punches.

Remember years ago primers came with a flat cup(like today) and a rounded cup, thats the reason for the four punches.

Shellholders have their own markings, have no idea of any cross reference. RCBS an CH make a adapter that takes standard shellholders.

Attached Files

rjmeyer314 posted this 09 January 2013

Over the years I've picked up several reloading presses, among them a Hollywood Senior Turret press and an RCBS Ammomaster. Recently I reloaded a hundred 6mm Remington cases on the turret press, checking the overall length of each cartridge with calipers. I found the cartridges to be much more uniform in OAL than what I usually get from my Ammocrafter. I don't have numbers to back up the observation, but that's the observation.

Attached Files

4570sharps posted this 02 October 2016

Pics please!

Attached Files

Close