Ever setup a reloading "clinic"?

• 3.7K Views
  • Last Post 21 April 2013
Frontsite posted this 10 January 2013

I can't call it a class as I have never really been certified, but I've got a few people who have reloading equipment but just don't seem to know how to set it all up and get going. They have asked me on many occasions too teach them.

As a result Ive found a place to hold the sessions and put together enough equipment to make two benches with presses and case prep and powder measures.

I call the sessions Reloading 101, my intent is show Just the basics, the set up, case prep and basic loading of rifle and pistol. I am trying to limit attendees to 10 or 12 (so each person can have “hands on"). If all goes well hold another in March.

I guess my question to those that have been involved in a project like this is what are the pitfalls. I have precautions and safety as the first session along with equipment selection and setup. Day two will get into brass preparation, cleaning measuring and such. Day 3 will be rifle reloading with their hands on time, (small classes) of course under observation, and the final day, day 4, pistol loading. Single stage for most everything but I will bring out the progressive for day four. Most of the people that I've talked to have single stage equipment or access to single stage equipment.

It is an unfortunate set of circumstances that make it necessary to hold short 2 hour evening sessions rather than two 8 hour sessions.

I have a waver for each attendee to sign so to appease the legal side of things. Thoes attending that are under 18 will have to have a parent/guardian with them the first session at least and to sign the waiver.

Have I missed anything?

Suggestions are welcomed.

I just asked to not be “flamed".

I have already had a enough discouragement from people who have never and will never reload.  (By the way I have been reloading and casting rifle and pistol for over 42 years not that it makes me an authority but just experienced.)

Attached Files

Order By: Standard | Newest | Votes
CB posted this 10 January 2013

I don't know anything about liability issues, but whenever there have been special classes we had it done as a club project then falling under the club insurance.

I had a friend hold me by the hand learning on his equipment on how to reload. I started shooting the hi-power matches. All the other shooters were always willing to help......learned a lot there.......Dan

Attached Files

454PB posted this 11 January 2013

I think the shorter 2 hour sessions are better. There's a lot of information to absorb, and it can be overwhelming in an 8 hour session.

Personally, I'd skip the Progressive loading, that's advanced reloading in my opinion.

Attached Files

cityboy posted this 11 January 2013

I started reloading back in the early 60's without any help' I just read everything I could get my hands on, bought a simple press, a C&H H press and went at it. Later, when I got into bullseye pistol, I was given some help from fellow shooters. Later when I bought a Star I was given some help from a Star owner. Jim

Attached Files

99 Strajght posted this 12 January 2013

Handloader back in the 1970 had a course outline for reloading in one of the issues. I used it and it was a good guide for teaching reloading.

Attached Files

Frontsite posted this 13 January 2013

Hi 99, I'v been subscribing to Handloader for a lot of years and have saved most of the issues but couldn't seem to find the copy with the article that you refer to. Could you by chance remember which issue. That sure would be helpful. My time is running short to make many changes for this set of sessions (22nd thur 25th) but it will be helpful for the March sessions. Thanx

Attached Files

99 Strajght posted this 13 January 2013

I do not remember what issue it was and I do not have my back issues at hand right now. sorry. Maybe someone else will remember. Or maybe you could call Wolfe Publishing.

Attached Files

R Dupraz posted this 13 January 2013

While I admire your willingness to help others that are interested in reloading,personally, I would not have anything to do with it in a class type setting. Especially without any cerification except for personal experience. Maybe the NRA offers some thing along those lines, don't know.

Don't mean to throw water on your idea, but even with some type of “official” credential and a signed disclaimer, one can still be sued by anyone. Even if there was no liability involved. One can end up in the food line just defending yourself against a frivilous accusation in our litigation happy society. Or just the threat could be costly enough. All manufacturers, especially firearms are faced with this continually.

I have a friend that is on retainer by a firearms manufacturer and is frequently in court testifying. Some of the cases have no merit but it doesn't matter. As long as the litigant thinks so, the case goes on.$$$$$$$. I have unintentionally screwed up more than once at the loading bench and been lucky in the past 40yrs myself.

There are many books out there that have information just for the beginning reloader. That's where I would refer anyone who might be interested.

OK, I'll get off my soap box now. Just my personal opinion and we all know what they are worth.

RD

Attached Files

gunarea posted this 17 January 2013

Hey Frontsite

Your effort to educate others is commendable and I applaud your willingness to take on this daunting task. Through my years I have been witness to manufacturers handing out equipment for dollars to those incapable of understanding the situation. Getting several together as a learning group, would seem to be very effective and efficient. What I have found to be the most difficult hurdle is teaching correct techniques to those who have been reloading, with marginal, unacceptable and unsafe results. However, when working with complete neophytes, my success rate stands perfect.

Since I am ignorant of your curriculum, this may be rhetoric. In reloading and casting, mistakes will be present, all must accept this! My first lesson always shows how to correctly use a kinetic bullet puller and proper cleaning of all dies. Knowing what each die can do, both good and not good, is critical to their grasp of function.  

Do not assume your students will understand, or that any common sense will come to play on behalf of the educator. Again, my hat is off to you and I stand ready to assist you in this endeavor to enlighten the ignorant.

Roy     

Shoot often, Shoot well

Attached Files

Frontsite posted this 18 February 2013

To All, RELOADING 101 So you know, the “clinic” went very well and was well received. The first night (safety & work bench setup) I had seven in attendance. Second night, (Case inspection,cleaning and preparation) dwindled to 5 (collage class studies somehow were more important) Third night, (Rifle reload night) 4 in attendance. Fourth night, the last night, 4 in attendance (Pistol night). I learned that classes of 4 with two benches set up is about right for a single “facilitator” an experienced assistant is almost mandatory if there are more than 4 students, it was just too busy to keep track (the last two nights) and still answer questions. The two hour classes worked out well but were a real bummer when started late. We went past 2 hours two limit on 2 nights simply because nearly everyone came in late.

I did use two video's (gleaned from the “web")and a Power Point presentation (developed by myself) to keep everything on track and help with the visual aspect of teaching and keeping focus on the subject.

I have had interest shown for another “class” probably in March. Their are some that timing was poor and some that felt they “should've been there". This past one was a lot of work but enjoyable for me as well as educating for me and the participants. The Power Point is already done so the next clinic will be much easier.

Education is extremely important even in one's hobby. I thank you for your encouragement. Thank you, FrontSite

Attached Files

Dale53 posted this 18 February 2013

For some reason, I am just now seeing this.

I belong to a Gun Club and have for over fifty years (same club). I have personally run reloading clinics complete with equipment from single stage, to turret, and Progressive. It is a WHOLE lot of work but can be rewarding.

I am a retired insurance claims representative and am aware of the liability aspect. I consider life full of risks (I raced motorcycles for ten years) and this is certainly an acceptable risk. If you have a fellow club member who is an attorney maybe he might be helpful in setting up the class regarding liability, pro bono.

I believe in sharing information completely on any activity I am involved in. It is a MOST worthwhile activity and the O.P. is to be commended.

Dale53

Attached Files

• Liked by
  • RedHawk357Mag
rojkoh posted this 16 April 2013

99 Strajght wrote: Handloader back in the 1970 had a course outline for reloading in one of the issues. I used it and it was a good guide for teaching reloading.

Well I started reloading a but after you (72) with a 1858 new Army and a 44/40 Yellowboy. Sadly I went by the wayside with Hi Power, Service rifle Palma and 1000 yard shooing, IPSC for Pistol (before it went wrong in the early 80's).

Worked with 3 Stars (1 was mine), in the process of replacing it. I just shoot to much pistol for a single stage or turret press and for Rifle I mainly use the Forster CoAx press. I still have a 40+ year old Rockchucker. Making a portable reloading press for them right now.

Attached Files

99 Strajght posted this 17 April 2013

If anyone is still interested it was Handloader #53 Jan-Feb. 1975 page 34.

Attached Files

• Liked by
  • RedHawk357Mag
rojkoh posted this 17 April 2013

gunarea wrote: Hey Frontsite My first lesson always shows how to correctly use a kinetic bullet puller and proper cleaning of all dies.t.

Roy     

Out of curiosity, how do you clean your dies?

Attached Files

gunarea posted this 18 April 2013

Hey rojkoh

While each die manufacturer may have slight differences, the basics are the same.  One at a time is the best for those less familiar with the many nuances in the spectrum of what is commercially available. 

Complete disassembling is needed for proper cleaning. Here is where an understanding of die function will be critical for reassembly and adjustment. My preferred cleaning tool is a small round plastic bristle brush of a size applicable for the die body and bore. A terry cloth cleaning towel is always present and available for wiping down all parts after brushing. Pay attention during disassembling for signs of tool distress that can preempt failure and cartridge blemish. Without going into great detail on each piece and every part, if it touches brass, clean and polish. External appearance would be more of personal preference than necessary maintenance.

When concerned for duplication of adjustment, practice and repetition will give the confidence needed to make thorough cleaning on a regular basis. Knowledge as to where and when lubrication is desirable can be obtained through attendance of clinics such as frontsites' offering or the precision guesswork of trial and error. However, while I can attest to the validity of empirical data, building on a foundation supplied by an experienced educator would be the most efficient, effective and safe. 

For individual and specific die cleaning instructions, please use this thread to request such and indicate what guidance is needed. I would sincerely encourage any attempt to gain knowledge and invite those with answers to assist in their endeavor. It just so happens that a student will arrive shortly for continuing enlightenment in advanced Bulleteering.  Gonna go shoot and teach.

Roy  

Shoot often, Shoot well

Attached Files

rojkoh posted this 20 April 2013

gunarea wrote: Hey rojkoh

While each die manufacturer may have slight differences, the basics are the same.  One at a time is the best for those less familiar with the many nuances in the spectrum of what is commercially available. 

Complete disassembling is needed for proper cleaning. Here is where an understanding of die function will be critical for reassembly and adjustment. My preferred cleaning tool is a small round plastic bristle brush of a size applicable for the die body and bore. A terry cloth cleaning towel is always present and available for wiping down all parts after brushing. Pay attention during disassembling for signs of tool distress that can preempt failure and cartridge blemish. Without going into great detail on each piece and every part, if it touches brass, clean and polish. External appearance would be more of personal preference than necessary maintenance.

When concerned for duplication of adjustment, practice and repetition will give the confidence needed to make thorough cleaning on a regular basis. Knowledge as to where and when lubrication is desirable can be obtained through attendance of clinics such as frontsites' offering or the precision guesswork of trial and error. However, while I can attest to the validity of empirical data, building on a foundation supplied by an experienced educator would be the most efficient, effective and safe. 

For individual and specific die cleaning instructions, please use this thread to request such and indicate what guidance is needed. I would sincerely encourage any attempt to gain knowledge and invite those with answers to assist in their endeavor. It just so happens that a student will arrive shortly for continuing enlightenment in advanced Bulleteering.  Gonna go shoot and teach.

Roy  

Thanks Ray. One caveat for those that don't know. Some of the Benchrest dies (mainly the seating dies) are a bit trickier to take apart. No, I am not saying this to detract from what you wrote, just adding something. I used both the Redding and Forster Benchrest sets, gave away my RCBS dies years ago. Yes, do love to shoot distance with gas guns.

Attached Files

gunarea posted this 20 April 2013

Hey rojkoh

Although my experience does not cover gas gun long range, I am a fan of long range (1000 meter) game play. Shot a Remington Kodiak action, then re-barreled to a Schilen in 30-06 until it became apparent a cannon was the only way to compete with the top level group. Playing in the 30 caliber sand box with home cast projectiles has got to be the best. Unfortunately my quest did not include home cast projectiles being utilized in 50 bmg. The aging process has raped me, looted my strength and took my ability to stand and repeatedly fire that 38 lb. behemoth. I knew I was done and gave my Barrett away. Now the young bucks bring me doughnuts, whiskey and cigars to sit, talk and answer their questions about bulleteering. 

You are correct that some of the bench rest dies require special attention for disassembling. Most reloaders start off with the basic type die sets and can master assembly adjustment procedure with a short learning curve. Assumption that any machine can function without maintenance is unfounded. Sadly, most manufacturers provide minimal guidance toward cleaning and tool selection for such.The humble Lee loader has very clear instructions for manufacturing a cartridge but nothing concerning care and cleaning of equipment. Forester has a single ambiguous sentence “clean your dies with a swab and cleaning solution". This forum is littered with threads of folks trying to learn even the seemingly simple things needed for general maintenance of equipment.

Somehow, the purchase of large dollar equipment, will bestow one with knowledge, intelligence and experience. Learning how to use a kinetic bullet puller after an hour on a “D” 1050, making beautiful little safety hazards, absoutly will imbede the use skills obtained. No one is born with an instinctual ability to reload. It is our privilege to pass along, preserve and promote our passion. Done correctly, all will have a story of success to share about their student/s.                Thanks for the read.    

Roy

Shoot often, Shoot well

Attached Files

rojkoh posted this 20 April 2013

Although my experience does not cover gas gun long range, I am a fan of long range (1000 meter) game play. Shot a Remington Kodiak action, then re-barreled to a Schilen in 30-06 until it became apparent a cannon was the only way to compete with the top level group. Playing in the 30 caliber sand box with home cast projectiles has got to be the best. Unfortunately my quest did not include home cast projectiles being utilized in 50 bmg. The aging process has raped me, looted my strength and took my ability to stand and repeatedly fire that 38 lb.

Roy

1) Opps! ROY! ;) 2) Google Desert Marksman in SoCal.. home range for a lot of years and look for the pictures of the 1000 yard pad. I lived up there a lot. Loved it 3) That old fart in the picture is over 60... so I understand. I shoot with a broken shoulder and I still shoot. Not going to set any records, I don't care.

Eyes just ain't as good as they used to be and I have a fair amount of complaints, but I still shoot. :shock:

Of course I am crotchity.. I don't use a BIPOD! ;)

GASP!

Attached Files

rojkoh posted this 21 April 2013

Although my experience does not cover gas gun long range, I am a fan of long range (1000 meter) game play. Shot a Remington Kodiak action, then re-barreled to a Schilen in 30-06 until it became apparent a cannon was the only way to compete with the top level group. Playing in the 30 caliber sand box with home cast projectiles has got to be the best. Unfortunately my quest did not include home cast projectiles being utilized in 50 bmg. The aging process has raped me, looted my strength and took my ability to stand and repeatedly fire that 38 lb. behemoth. I knew I was done and gave my Barrett away. 

PS don't like them, but I've shot them. Don't like any weapon that throws about 5 pounds of crud in my face. Prefer the M2. :)

Attached Files

Close