No more!

• 7.4K Views
  • Last Post 15 June 2017
Pigslayer posted this 04 April 2013

There are two things that I will not do anymore. The first being the smelting/mixing of alloy or melting dirty lead in my bottom pour pot. The second is using marvelous flux! Both of the above make for a very filthy pot! Especially the Marvelux!! I hunted all over for my Lyman 10 lb. pot and think it is forever lost due to one of my moves. So I ordered another one from Lyman last Saturday & received it today. I really like the cast iron pot & sitting here looking at it brings back fond memories of my early casting days back in the very early 70's. The new pot is made just like the old one . . . Thick & heavy! It is easy to clean with nothing to clog up. I've already made a steel stand for it with accommodations for holding a propane torch . . . Just like I did years ago. Although Marvelux flux does work OK, it makes a mess of the pot. It leaves a dirty black crust in the pot which I have no need for. Back to candle wax as that has always worked the best for me.

Pat

If someone else had of done to me what I did to myself . . . I'd have killed him. Humility is an asset. Heh - heh.

Attached Files

Order By: Standard | Newest | Votes
6pt-sika posted this 04 April 2013

I never have tried Marvelux , always used old candles or discarded lubed bullets for fluxing and it works okay as long as I don't go overboard with the lubed bullets !

I also only have Lee bottom pour pots a pair of 10 pounders and a 20 pounder .So those are my only choices fr smelting WW's and scrap .

And so far KNOCK ON WOOD I've not had any major problems !

Now watch me fire one of them up next week and the thing blows up .>

Attached Files

delmarskid1 posted this 04 April 2013

Tried to warn ya'.

Attached Files

rjmeyer314 posted this 05 April 2013

I agree. I found a “used” container of Marvelux at a local gun store and used it for one season's bullet casting. My bottom-pour pots were a mess at the end of the season. I scraped all of the crap out of the pot and have never touched the stuff again. I like candle wax much better.

Attached Files

Pigslayer posted this 05 April 2013

delmarskid1 wrote: Tried to warn ya'.

Yes you did!

Pat

If someone else had of done to me what I did to myself . . . I'd have killed him. Humility is an asset. Heh - heh.

Attached Files

Uncle Russ posted this 06 April 2013

Oh Noble Pigslayer; After only desperation did I use my last bit of Marvelux. One product Brownells will not ship to me in the future. I have been thriving on the flux supplied by NEI molds. Received my first batch from old Walt himself. One thing I learned quick from the neat old guy was just doubt him, he would give you all kinds of stuff to prove he was right! Seriously, NEI's flux is great. A little smoky but it smells like burning pine sap. I like it. Beats Air Fresh! Cost? Haven't a clue as they always just sent me some or gave some away with a mold order. A “Little Pinch” goes a long way. Like their molds, great product and I haven't a clue what it really is, nor do I care as it works.

Attached Files

PETE posted this 06 April 2013

Amen, Uncle Russ. I've used it ever since I got my first NEI mold many, many years ago. Even bought two bags of it. My experience before that was with Marvelux and mirrors what others on here say. Why you can even buy the stuff is beyond me.

Pete

Attached Files

badgeredd posted this 12 April 2013

Good old pine sawdust does the majority of flux duties. I favor a scrap 2x4 with lots of knots and cut it up with my Skil saw. Another flux is shaving from planing pine off that works well for me.

Marvelus...yuk!

Edd

Attached Files

• Liked by
  • Elmo
Pigslayer posted this 20 April 2013

Finally cleaned all the Marvelux crust & crap out of my bottom pour pot. What a mess!! Removing that stuff is like scraping down concrete forms after a pour! Whoever invented that stuff should be . . . well, never mind! Went to the grocery store today & along with my groceries I bought a lb. of canning wax. That'll do just fine for fluxing . . . Always has before!

Pat

Attached Files

hunterspistol posted this 21 April 2013

I've bought the pound boxes of Gulf canning wax before. Good quality parafin fluxes just fine.

Attached Files

Frontsite posted this 22 April 2013

I've started using the flux sold by Pat Marlin. Works darned good before that I tried all sorts of stuff, toilet bowel seal rings, the Marvelux stuff, and candles. I finally settles on the sawdust from the lumberyard (Free- they would have filled the bed of my pickup if I let them) but then I received a little of the flux from Pat Marlins and was hooked. I've read that the wood or sawdust fluxes will pull iron and copper oxide out of your melt, all I can verify is that it works extremely well for me and has a pleasant (campfire) smell. Leave the Marvelux for someone else to suffer with, nasty stuff.

Attached Files

rbuck351 posted this 23 October 2015

Marvelux is great for brazing as it forms a glass like cover over what you are brazing and prevents oxidation. I only tried it once in a lead pot. That glass like crust all over the inside of my lead pot was very difficult to remove and it didn't flux very well at that. No more of that ......stuff for me.

Attached Files

Rich/WIS posted this 23 October 2015

Used it ONCE also, tossed it and stayed with either paraffin or old bullet lube.

Attached Files

TRKakaCatWhisperer posted this 23 October 2015

I won't PAY for marvalux. BUT BORAX works well. Use a wooden stick for stirring and the pot STAYS clean!

cheap, easy and it WORKS.

Attached Files

EvanGuy posted this 23 October 2015

I use a kitchen pot on a colmen propane stove to melt dirty lead into ingots then i melt them in a different cast pot on a hotplate. also i only use candle wax for flux. works well. i shoot unlubed pure lead so the little candle wax resadue on the bullets helps.

Attached Files

billglaze posted this 23 October 2015

Thanks to TRK, I bought and have been using, 20 Mule Team Borax.  It keeps the melt from oxidizing, but I'm not sure about actually fluxing the melt; I hit the melt with either my wife's discarded candles, or some canning paraffin she bought me, then about a half tablespoon of Boraxo.  The system works great for me.  I have a container of Marvellux that I'm waiting to give to someone I don't like.  As an aside, I've been to Furnace Creek Inn, and other Death Valley sites often; have seen an original (they claim) 20 mule team wagon.  Huge!  Really worth the trip over from my then-home in Las Vegas. Bill

In theory, there's no difference between theory and practice. In practice, there is. My fate is not entirely in Gods hands, if I have a weapon in mine.

Attached Files

mike0841 posted this 24 October 2015

My wife and I both love Mini Baby Bel cheese which comes wrapped in red wax.  I just squeeze the wax wrappers together to make a ball and then cut off a piece when I need to flux.   Mike

Attached Files

Longone posted this 24 October 2015

I used to use Marvelux to flux with but also agree that it really leaves the sides of the pot filthy. Then I read about some fellows using pine saw dust and I have been hooked on that since. It's cheap (which is good) plentiful as a friend is a cabinet maker and a little goes a long way.

I just sprinkle it on top of lead that is up to casting temp burn it off with a grille lighter and stir it in, then I use a piece of cedar shingle (been using the same piece for 10 years) to gather all the dross in a little pile and scoop it off with a stainless steel spoon.

My Marvelux is now only used when I smelt wheel weights and other lead outdoors in a larger cast pot.

Longone

Attached Files

bigbore52 posted this 24 October 2015

Yup, agree wholeheartedly with all these comments.....I started off using the Marvelux some time back and quickly gummed up the works with the scale it left behind...spent ages cleaning the pots after each melt.

Suggestions of various wood shaving and dust all work but I found pine especially did not flux as well as some of the other hardwoods...found it tended to flame before the fluxing effect took on but it does work if you work it right.

I now use a mix of bees wax and paraffin (candle wax) left over from lube making - doesn't need much, tea spoon at most and never leaves a crud deposit which is what I like about it..smells great but tends to attract the bees in large numbers here so I mostly brew it after dark - am sure there are numerous brews suitable but for me, wax is the way to go.....just my two bobs worth

Attached Files

Coydog posted this 28 October 2015

I use ground up corn cobs.it works for me.

Attached Files

TRKakaCatWhisperer posted this 28 October 2015

billglaze wrote: Thanks to TRK, I bought and have been using, 20 Mule Team Borax.  It keeps the melt from oxidizing, but I'm not sure about actually fluxing the melt; I hit the melt with either my wife's discarded candles, or some canning paraffin she bought me, then about a half tablespoon of Boraxo.  The system works great for me.  I have a container of Marvellux that I'm waiting to give to someone I don't like.  As an aside, I've been to Furnace Creek Inn, and other Death Valley sites often; have seen an original (they claim) 20 mule team wagon.  Huge!  Really worth the trip over from my then-home in Las Vegas. Bill The borax does keep the top from oxidizing, and it mixes with the crud that comes to the top.  I find if I use a wood stick (wedge or 3/4x1 10” long scrap board) that the mix cleans up quickly. 

Whatever.  If it works and isn't poisonous use it!

Attached Files

Show More Posts
Close