cleaning rods

• Last Post 04 October 2018
joeb33050 posted this 03 October 2018

After buying Dewey coated rods and throwing them away many times when the plastic wore off, I bought 2 Hoppes SS rods about 5 years ago, and they still work fine, and my guns still shoot accurately. Hoppes rods, $8.39 - just looked. If steel-wipe-off-the-crap cleaning rods were good enough for H. M. Pope...

Attached Files

• Liked by
  • RicinYakima
Order By: Standard | Newest | Votes
Bud Hyett posted this 03 October 2018

I had the same problem with both Parker-Hale and Dewey rods. I would strip them down, get a heat-shrink tube and repair them in this manner. The heat-shrink tube was softer, but worked for several years and was far cheaper than a new rod. 

Farm boy from Illinois, living in the magical Pacific Northwest

Attached Files

OU812 posted this 03 October 2018

The only problem I have with my Dewey rod is the jag or brush always comes unscrewed and loosens. I am having to retighten after one patch. I know it sounds like the bearings in handle are not rolling like they were designed.

Attached Files

OU812 posted this 03 October 2018

TM Solution cleaning solvent works extremely well at removing copper and powder fouling. It will also remove coating from coated rods, so a uncoated rod is best to use with this solution.

Sinclair sells 16oz bottle for $25.00

Attached Files

RicinYakima posted this 04 October 2018

I paid $22.00 for a Belding and Mull stainless steel solid cleaning rods in .30 and .22 in the early 1970's. They are still perfect.

Attached Files

Ross Smith posted this 04 October 2018

How come we have right hand twist threads on the cleaning rods and left hand twist in the barrels?     It's a conspiracy I tell ya.

Attached Files

Close