CZ 527

• 2K Views
  • Last Post 12 May 2017
John Alexander posted this 08 May 2017

After hearing nothing but good things about them and resisting for years, I just bought a CZ 527 in 223. I am waiting on scope rings to fit the dovetails on the receiver so haven't fired it yet.  Although I ordered one with a plastic stock it came with a handsome checkered one that looks like walnut so I didn't complain.  The borescope shows it to have a extemly smooth bore with six somewhat narrow lands.  The set trigger works as advertised.  The scaled down mouser action seems well machined. I can put up with the ugly magazine hanging down and the funny looking trigger if it shoots.

My only complaint so far is that the action feels rough.  I know I am spoiled by the Krag-smooth action of the Tikka I have been shooting and I know mauser type actions aren't the smoothest but this is a long way from the good ones of this type.  The cocking cam seems smooth enough but sliding the bolt back and forth is pretty bad.  I know it will smooth with use but would welcome suggestions for speeding the process.

John

Attached Files

Order By: Standard | Newest | Votes
David Reiss posted this 08 May 2017

After buying my first CZ 550, that was my only complaint. A search to see if others had noticed this issue with the bolt led me to this link. It explains exactly what to do. It took me about an hour & half to complete the job. I did not want to over do it and wanted the use to clean up the last 10%. 

In the past I had always us dykem on the bolt and stoned the high spots. This works well also, You might try this option first because it is a little less time consuming. 

https://www.shootersforum.com/gunsmithing/99869-slicking-up-cz.html

David Reiss - NRA Life Member & PSC Range Member Retired Police Firearms Instructor/Armorer
-Services: Wars Fought, Uprisings Quelled, Bars Emptied, Revolutions Started, Tigers Tamed, Assassinations Plotted, Women Seduced, Governments Run, Gun Appraisals, Lost Treasure Found.
- Also deal in: Land, Banjos, Nails, Firearms, Manure, Fly Swatters, Used Cars, Whisky, Racing Forms, Rare Antiquities, Lead, Used Keyboard Keys, Good Dogs, Pith Helmets & Zulu Headdresses. .

Attached Files

Scearcy posted this 08 May 2017

John

I have a 527 in 223. It smoothed up pretty quickly. Compared to my Remages it is smooth as silk.

Jim

Attached Files

RicinYakima posted this 08 May 2017

John, I have two, one in .223 and one in 7.62X39. While not as smooth as a nice Krag, they were just fine after a few petting and shooting sessions.

Attached Files

OU812 posted this 09 May 2017

That is a neat looking rifle...I hope it shoots cast well. Do you have a bullet diameter small enough to fit new throat? I can help. Or you can use steel wool and Rem Clean to make throat slightly larger.

Rewarding myself with new toys makes me a happier person also.

Attached Files

Ken Campbell Iowa posted this 09 May 2017

... a person should cz every opportunity to acquire a new gun ...

ken

Attached Files

• Liked by
  • wd-30/40
John Alexander posted this 10 May 2017

Thanks to all who offered suggestions and help.  I still haven't found time to slug the throat or get a scope on it but will report progress next week.

Good one Ken.

John

Attached Files

RicinYakima posted this 11 May 2017

John, I bought my 223 used from a guy who said it "wouldn't shoot" VLD 69 grain bullets. I got it cheap. Every load with 52 grain match bullets is less than 3/4" with a 6X scope at 100 yards. Most accurate rifle I have ever owned. Ric

Attached Files

Scearcy posted this 11 May 2017

They'll shoot! 12" twist I believe. Jim

Attached Files

GP Idaho posted this 11 May 2017

I love my little CZ 527 (7.62X39)  The bolt throw was pretty rough at first but it has smoothed up a bunch in just 5 or 6 outings. The bore is very smooth so no matter, shoot powder coated bullets or lubed ones it cleans up with just a few patches. Have it in mind to try their 221 fireball chambering. Gp

Attached Files

John Alexander posted this 12 May 2017

The twist on mine is exactly 9 inches as advertised. Just what is needed for the long NOE 22780 SP -- I hope. I believe the older ones were a slower twist.

John

Attached Files

Close