Eagan molds

• Last Post 18 November 2018
  • Topic Is Solved
Ross Smith posted this 16 November 2018

I'm looking for a Don Eagan mold and bump die. The mold is the MX-4 .30ARD version #2 and bump die. Also the bump die to match the MX-4 30A. I would like to buy,beg,borrow, or steal these.

pm me, Ross

Attached Files

Order By: Standard | Newest | Votes
frnkeore posted this 16 November 2018

Mel Harris has been offered $1000 for his Egan MX-4 30 ARD mold, the one used to set his records but, Accurate makes a simi copy (larger meplat) to the Egan and there are a few of them used here in the PNW. Some of the users have beat Mel at matches with that mold.

NOE makes a near copy also, it has a taped bore ride section that could be lapped parallel (.301)  and have a exact copy of it.

I can't give you a source of a bump die but, can tell you the angle of it is 1 deg per side (2 deg included).

This is the actual Egan drawing of the bullet, Accurates meplat will be .180, instead of .140.

Frank

Attached Files

• Liked by
  • Ross Smith

Frank: The mold I would like is the mx4-30ard #2. It is a fatter version of the mx4-30ard. Probably more rare. I think that a bump die might help the mx4-30a bullet fit my rifle better. It's already sub-moa, just looking for a little more.

Attached Files

You can still have Accurate make it. Note that you would just request the bands be increased.

NOE's is the #2 body with a tapered bore ride.

Frank

Attached Files

• Liked by
  • Ross Smith

Frank: Have you seen a drawing of the original Eagan #2 version ? I don't think it is in his catalog. My rifle has a long tapered throat but it goes from 310  on the driving band, not 307 like the noe. Hope I got those numbers right. My mx4-30a mold is probably the better fit if Eagan's specs are the same as NOE's. Most likely just need a bump die to help the fit.

Attached Files

In Egan's catalog, at the bottom of the drawing, it just says:

NOTE *

Available with this:

Dimension .311 -.001

Order MX 4-30 ARD #2

So, it is just the Egan drawing that I posted but, the driving bands are .311, no other difference.

Frank

NOE's bullet has .311 driving bands

Attached Files

OU812 posted this 17 November 2018

You will need a matching throater to make tapered bump die. What size bore ride section do you need. Careful fitting is hardest part.

Recut throat and make die with same reamer.

I can make a bump die that enlarges bore ride or swages down. Die is used in my RCBS Rockchucker...cams over exactly each bullet.

Some people are very difficult to deal with

Attached Files

rmrix posted this 17 November 2018

"I'm looking for a Don Eagan mold and bump die. The mold is the MX-4 .30ARD version #2 and bump die. Also the bump die to match the MX-4 30A. I would like to buy,beg,borrow, or steal these."

I don't have that one but have the Eagan MX-3 30ARD and the bump die set-up John made to prep it to much like the one Frank posted. I don't remember if John supplied the mold with the bump die or just stated that mold number should be ordered from Don. I would have to measure the post bumped bullets to be sure. Lino was the alloy John recommended I use. He was right, I tried to substitute WW and scrap with less than best accuracy.

Attached Files

• Liked by
  • Ross Smith
Ross Smith posted this 18 November 2018

My rifle likes Lino also

Attached Files

Close