Ed Harris 45 Cal Cast bullets; 45 Schofield

• Last Post 20 February 2017
  • Topic Is Solved
Larry Gibson posted this 17 February 2017

Ed Harris 45 Cal Cast bullets; 45 Schofield

This test report is short and very sweet.  I only tested one bullet in the 45 Schofield case; the 45-240-H1.  It was loaded over 5 gr Bullseye.  A 240 gr cast over 5 gr of Bullseye is a classic load in the 44 SPL and I expected no less than excellent performance with that weight bullet out of the similar length 45 Schofield case.  I was not disappointed. 

I already had 12 cases from a previous test with the rims turned down to fit the Contender 45 Colt Chamber so I loaded all 12 cases.  The M43 recorded the results of the first 10 shots while the M35P recorded the velocities of all 12.  Note the very close velocities obtained; the M35P screens being in front of the M43s recorded within a couple fps the same velocity but just a couple fps faster as should have been.  Both machines recorded the exact same ES and SDs!  The MAP psi was a very mild 12,200 psi(M43) with only a 1,700 psi ES.  For that low of a MAP the Time/pressure traces are very uniform…..a good sign indeed!  The velocity of 843 fps from the 10” Contender will probably be 750 – 800 fps from a 4 – 6” barreled revolver.  The group is excellent for me anyway and I still got a tudge of vertical stringing due to the glare. 

Test results:

Doubt you’d go wrong with that load in any 45 Schofield revolver and it should also be excellent in any 45 Colt.  Actually a 45 ACP cylinder reamed out to 45 Schofield might just be an excellent idea……..

LMG

Concealment is not cover.........

Attached Files

Order By: Standard | Newest | Votes
GP Idaho posted this 17 February 2017

Larry; Doug Phillips (Doug Guy) @ Boolits is doing the 45ACP to Schofield conversion. He's done other work for me and it's great work with quick turn around. I think I'll leave my Blackhawk 45 Acp cylinder as is because I have buckets of brass in that caliber but do believe the idea has merit. Gp

Attached Files

Ed Harris posted this 20 February 2017

Thanks Larry!  My buddy Andy in Oregon has one of the repro S&W No.3s in .45 Colt which unlatches with factory Winchester and Remington ammo, even the Winchester “Cowboy” loads.  When the revolver comes back from repair I am going to suggest he try 4.5 - 5 grains of Bullseye in the Schofield cases with his Saeco #954 (232-grain) flat-nosed Cowboy bullet.

73 de KE4SKY In Home Mix We Trust From the Home of Ed's Red in "Almost Heaven" West Virginia

Attached Files

• Liked by
  • Bud Hyett
Close