First Test With Accurate 31-165s Plain Base Bullet In The 30/06

• Last Post 08 August 2018
pat i. posted this 02 August 2018

I took my new bullet out yesterday to try in my Winchester 670 30/06. It wasn't a total disaster as was expected but needs plenty of work before being match ready. I took Ed Harris's recommendation of trying Win. WST powder. One thing I learned was that Rooster Jacket is a good lube but in my case anyway is limited to around 1100 fps before leading starts rearing it's ugly head. Not serious leading but flakes and strips that were easily pushed out of the barrel but still not right. As an after thought when packing things up I took 25 bullets and dipped the arse end in thinned Lee Alox. With this batch I was able to raise velocity to 1220 fps with no signs of leading and in one case shot pretty well. This was more of a bullet, lube, and velocity test than an accuracy test. The two attached pictures are the results of the shooting. If the writing on the pictures isn't readable the CBA targets are with the Alox lubed bullets and the other target straight RJ. More testing and results to come. All shooting at 100 yards.

Attached Files

Order By: Standard | Newest | Votes
Ken Campbell Iowa posted this 02 August 2018

pat i   ...  keep us informed  ... interesting about rooster jacket at low velocity ... wouldn't have thought it ...

hey, your foulers shoot pretty good ( g ) ...

ken

Attached Files

pat i. posted this 02 August 2018

pat i   ...  keep us informed  ... interesting about rooster jacket at low velocity ... wouldn't have thought it ...

hey, your foulers shoot pretty good ( g ) ...

ken

Don't they always?

Attached Files

• Liked by
  • RicinYakima
delmarskid posted this 03 August 2018

Got some teaser's going for you.

Attached Files

pat i. posted this 03 August 2018

Got some teaser's going for you.

Thankfully. Definitely keeps the interest level up.

Attached Files

• Liked by
  • delmarskid
frnkeore posted this 03 August 2018

If I might make a suggestion, since your getting leading at such a low velocity, it may be a result of the base being to small for the throat. The '06 throat, starts at .311 so, the base band needs to be at least .312.

Another suggestion is that you make the base band, even larger. Make it .001 larger than the ID of the fired case. That way, if the case neck is concentric, it will also align the bullet in the bore and you won't have to neck size. Give the mouth a healthy chamfer, for loading ease. The larger base band won't effect accuracy, on a PB bullet and it will stop any gas cutting.

Frank

Attached Files

Thanks for the tips. The two base bands are .3115 and I think the leading I was getting was lube related since the Alox didn't lead at all going 100 fps faster. I don't know how much faster I can go before it becomes an issue again since this was just a trial run. The purpose of this is to see if I can get a pb bullet shooting decently in a fixed case using a gun a lot of people might have sitting around without jumping through hoops. I have some Lapua cases around here that have thick necks that I could turn for a tighter fit but want to use the Lake City Match cases I've been using. If I get lucky enough to get the gun agging around an inch/inch and a quarter I'll be both really lucky and really happy

Attached Files

frnkeore posted this 03 August 2018

As far as leading goes, you should be able to get close to 1600 fps. 50/50 BW/Alox will get to that velocity w/o leading if, the fit is good.

I shoot 1470 to 1650 w/o leading in the PB class but, breech seated. My lube is 25/75 BW/Alox.

We use 25-20/1 lead/tin. It's about 9.5 to 10 BNH. You might want a little harder shooting it from a case. Maybe 2% tin, added to WW but, no harder.

Frank

Attached Files

I'm using straight WW. Tests at 9.5-10 bnh on an LBT tester. Maybe filling the lube grooves instead of tumble lubing would help but I'm really trying to keep this simple so I want to try out the tumble lubing first. There's not a real lot of info out there about shooting pb bullets in fixed cases except for plinking or gallery loads. For all I know using oven treated WW and LBT blue would work well. One step at a time though.

Attached Files

• Liked by
  • RicinYakima
OU812 posted this 04 August 2018

Just some thoughts.

I neck size with Lee collet die to adjust neck tension. I believe neck sizing helps reduce vertical stringing by keeping pressures more consistent.

My brief experiment with Frank's 25/75 lube worked really well. You will need oversize lube die if using Lubesizer without sizing  and distorting bullet. Is your seater sizing down bullet?

Does bullet engrave rifling WELL when chambered?

Seat bullets long in case so they will be chambered exact (push back) each time.

Try a different bullet (balance)

So many different things to try.

Attached Files

pat i. posted this 04 August 2018

Sizing with a Wilson die on an arbor press. Using one case. Belling with a small simple expander. Bullet seated long by hand with neck tension tight enough to engrave the first two bands without sizing down base. The shooting I did was just the first time out so I'm hoping for improvement.

Attached Files

pat i. posted this 08 August 2018

If people tell you to use something along the lines 9 or 10 bnh bullets in light pb loads pay attention. I ran to the range with 30 quenched 20 bnh bullets today to prove them wrong. I don't know how many buckshot fits in a 12 guage shell but if it's 30 I could have saved a lot of time by firing only 1 shot. Plenty of leading too but it wiped right out. I should have thrown the 150 gr cleaning patch at the target too. It wouldn't have hurt anything. Had to try it though.

Attached Files

• Liked by
  • RicinYakima
OU812 posted this 08 August 2018

Taper bumping will allow most any alloy to work...very hard to soft BHN... and most any powder.

Attached Files

pat i. posted this 08 August 2018

They are tapered in a 3/4 degree taper die. Doesn't exactly match the throat but I'm getting land marks on the first and second driving band. You have to remember this is a pb bullet and believe me they're a different breed of cat.

Attached Files

Close