Has anybody tried loading a .25 Stevens rimfire cartridge. Crazy idea.

• 1.4K Views
  • Last Post 18 March 2019
mashburn posted this 16 March 2019

Here is a crazy idea. Has anybody tried loading a 25 Stevens rimfire cartridge using the priming material that is available for .22 rimfire. All you would have to do is make a body die and a ncek sizer and straight line  bullet seater. I know some people will think I;m crazy.

Here is why I want to try. When I was a senior in high school in 1961-62 I bought a Marlin pump action Model 27S and three boxes of ammo for the huge sum of $12.50. It was a real clean little rifle.This was the best squirrel rifle that I think I ever owned I was careful not to use the ammo for anything but hunting but when you hunted as much as I did at that age, I ran out pretty soon. I grew up in very rural settings and the only store around said he couldn't get any ammo. There was still some ammo around at this time but I never did get to go anywhere to possibly get some. .Being out of ammo, I traded it to my high school basketball coach In the last few years we have gotten reacquainted and he has agreed to sell me the rifle and close to a full box of ammo I know a lot of you will say why would you want to do this but if you knew the attachment I had to that little jewel, I think you would understand.

Mashburn.

David a. Cogburn

Attached Files

Order By: Standard | Newest | Votes
45 2.1 posted this 16 March 2019

Not crazy at all............ somewhere on the internet somebody has already did that.... I think with some Ramset cartridges. Priming compound is sold by the makers of those cheap 22 LR reloading outfits. Dies to reload 22 LR are available, I'm sure you could make the shell holder and dies for yours. The mold might be a problem, but you could machine a set of swage dies for it. Most of these discussions are over on Cast Boolits in the "Special Projects" section. Give it a try and write it up please.

Attached Files

mashburn posted this 16 March 2019

Hello,

Thanks for the info. I hate to seem dumb, but what are ramset cartridges? Making dies and etc. are common place to me, with all the oddball  wildcats I have, .I'll be on the cast bullet site before long. 

Thanks again,

Mashburn

David a. Cogburn

Attached Files

45 2.1 posted this 16 March 2019

Ramset cartridges (a rimfire blank type cartridge) are used in a special tool to shoot nails into concrete to attach forms in the building trades. They are available at lumber yards. CB has worked that out for the 32 RF. Somebody on there mentioned the 25 once.

Attached Files

mashburn posted this 17 March 2019

Hello again,

I feel dumb now. I always just called them nail gun blanks. Shortly after I talked with you, I got on cast boolits. I didn't spend much time, but I got enough Ideas to do what I want . There was everything from using 25 auto-22 hornet and others. I will be back on and learn more for sure., I'm glad I found many other people with ideas like mine.

Thanks again for more info,

Mashburn

David a. Cogburn

Attached Files

45 2.1 posted this 17 March 2019

No need to feel that way........ just an information transfer. Most answers to problems people have are in print or on the web somewhere.......... finding where the answers are and knowing what is true or not is the main problem. You make some very interesting posts, keep at it.

Attached Files

delmarskid posted this 18 March 2019

Here is the Ramset website. They do seem to have a 25 version. http://www.ramset.com/products/accessories/powder-loads/disc-series

Attached Files

4060may posted this 18 March 2019

somewhere I read .25 RF Stevens can be made from .17 WSM, trimmed to length and, different powder and a heel bullet....

Attached Files

• Liked by
  • delmarskid
Close