Henry Single Shot Rifle

• Last Post 10 May 2019
beagle6 posted this 08 May 2019

I recently purchased a Henry Single Shot Rifle in 30/30. Fit and finish were very good with adequate iron sights and a decent trigger pull. Being impulsive I rounded up some cast loads left over from a 94 Winchester and 336 Marlin.First tried was a 113 grain bullet sized .309 with 6 grains of 4756. The rifle took an instant dislike and groups were around 3" at 50 yards

Next were 170 gr. Lee flat nose from wheelweights sized .309 and tumblelubed with 16 grains of 4227. Two 5 shot groups of 1 3/16 inches.

Last were some 180 gr. bullets that were cast at .314 and sized to .311. Wheelweights and tumblelube again and 16 gr. of 4227. One 5 shot group of 1 3/8". All of the above with large pistol primers and 50 yards range. All in all very promising for a budget rifle and no load development.

Forgot to mention, I put a 4x scope on for the above.

Attached Files

Order By: Standard | Newest | Votes
Ken Campbell Iowa posted this 09 May 2019

hey, a pic would be good too !  .....  the short bullet might have been a long way from the rifling ...

ken

Attached Files

• Liked by
  • Fitzpatrick
beagle6 posted this 09 May 2019

Ken

Wish I could, but I am pretty much ignorant when it comes to computers and have no idea how to do it.

beagle

Attached Files

Ken Campbell Iowa posted this 10 May 2019

beagle6 ... if you could email me a digital pic i would be glad to post it here ... those henry single shots are interesting.  [email protected]

Attached Files

Scearcy posted this 10 May 2019

beagle6

I ordered a 30-30 a couple of weeks ago. It is still sitting in the corner unfired but I do hope to slay , or at least scare, a couple of bunnies one of these days. I have had a 308 for about a year now. I like the way these rifles sit in my hands. Old guy syndrome I think.

Jim

Attached Files

beagle6 posted this 10 May 2019

Ken, I'll see if I can get someone to help me do that. Thanks.

You are right Jim, they do sit well in the hands. Many years ago my friend had a Savage model 219 in 30/30. I always liked that rifle. Poor guy got killed in Vietnam.

Attached Files

Close