Looking for load in 35 Whelen Lyman 358009 in 16" twist that works

• Last Post 1 weeks ago
TRKakaCatWhisperer posted this 2 weeks ago

I'm trying again with the Lyman 358009 (about 277-278gr) in my Rem 700 Classic in 35 Whelen.  It has a 1:16" twist which is limiting for the longer bullets.  I'd like to see someone's successful load - which powder and how much.

Attached Files

Order By: Standard | Newest | Votes
RicinYakima posted this 2 weeks ago

My 35 Whelen is an NRA Sporter Springfield rebored to 1/16 by JES with 3 grooves. It shoots the 3589 just fine with 22 grains of SR4759. I am not a hunter anymore, so I shoot only for accuracy. I found no stability problems down to a load of 12 grains of Unique that was sub-sonic. HTH, Ric

Attached Files

TRKakaCatWhisperer posted this 2 weeks ago

Will take another run at it.  Have 150 cases and bullets cast.  Next to lube/size/GC them.  No records of what I tired before so I'll start with 4227 because of it's similarity to 4759.  THANKS!

Attached Files

onondaga posted this 1 weeks ago

I'm trying again with the Lyman 358009 (about 277-278gr) in my Rem 700 Classic in 35 Whelen.  It has a 1:16" twist which is limiting for the longer bullets.  I'd like to see someone's successful load - which powder and how much.

Your bullet is is bout 280 grains. The Lee 2nd edition page 594 handbook has one powder that sticks out like a sore thumb and has the lowest pressure for that cast bullet weight in 35 Whelen. Accurate 3100 MAX for that bullet is a mildly compressed load of 57 grains at 2073 fps with a very mild pressure of 34,300 psi. that is terrific for cast bullets.

I'd go directly and get that powder and check it out first as the most promising propellant for efficiency and accuracy for your application with a 280 gr cast bullet in 35 Whelen.

Other powders will yield faster velocities but none of them is as low in pressure with a compressed load. The power is very impressive at 2000+ fps with a 280 gr bullet and in #2 alloy would shoot through a fire hydrant or any shot angle on the biggest Black Bear,  as out at 190 yards the load has 1100 foot pounds and will easily massacre a nasty charging Bear.

The pressure is so low, I'd start with a 100% available capacity load and see how it shoots before trying a compressed load. Don't go softer than BHN15 Lyman #2.

Gary

Attached Files

GP Idaho posted this 1 weeks ago

TRK:  If I'm not mistaken Accurate 3100 was discontinued and warnings issued some tine back. I personally like the powder and had no problems with it. Excellent choice in a 25-06 round. I still have a small amount but unless it has been rereleased or you can get some at a gun show it may be hard to find. Gp

Attached Files

lotech posted this 1 weeks ago

I had a Ruger M77 and will assume it had the 1 in 16" twist. While it wasn't the most accurate jacketed or cast bullet rifle I've ever owned, it did pretty well with the #358009. My notes indicate bullets were water dropped wheelweight alloy, sized .359":  

Best  loads were 28 grs. SR4759 and 30 grs. IMR4198, MV for both just over 1,700 fps.

30 grs. 5744, poor accuracy, MV =1722

34 grs. Reloder 7, mediocre accuracy, MV= 1834

with a linotype bullet, 32 grs. 5744 was accurate, MV= 1874

If I had this to do over, I would probably eliminate the water dropping as I doubt it was necessary or provided any advantage with  velocities in the 1700 fps range. 

Attached Files

Close