LYMAN'S NEW MANUAL NO. 50

• 2.9K Views
  • Last Post 24 December 2019
Brodie posted this 14 March 2018

I have seen a couple of posts by people asking about cast bullet data on the 6.5 Creedmore.  Lyman's new

reloading manual NO. 50 contains data on two Lyman bullets.  Sorry that I can't give you more information on the new manual, but the Sportsman's warehouse I was in didn't exactly encourage examination of their new manuals for sale.

B.E.Brickey

Attached Files

• Liked by
  • M3 Mitch
Order By: Standard | Newest | Votes
Bohica793 posted this 15 March 2018

266469 and 266673 to be exact.  I have the 50th if anyone is in need of the specifics.

Attached Files

• Liked by
  • M3 Mitch
makpeter posted this 18 November 2019

Hello,

I have Lyman 48th ed and only find load data 225-55 grain is there data in the 50th ed for 70grain or is there a formula to calculate

If there is data for the 70 grain i will buy the book

Thx

Attached Files

longhunter posted this 19 November 2019

The 50th edition is worth buying

Jon

Jon Welda CW5 USA Ret.

Attached Files

• Liked by
  • RicinYakima
RicinYakima posted this 19 November 2019

The 50th has the last shooting/printing of some powders that will not be available again except on the yard sale market. So if you buy old powder, this is one to consider.

Attached Files

• Liked by
  • M3 Mitch
  • Bud Hyett
M3 Mitch posted this 19 November 2019

I just wish they still used the spiral binding, like the old 45th edition has.  Handled with some care, these don't wear much, and lay flat on the table or bench.  I guess it's my old Navy Nuke training, while I can tell you that 3.5 grains of Bullseye under a 200 grain cast bullet is a good, and safe light load for the .45 ACP, I won't load without the manual open on the bench, showing the load I am using.  OCD can be a feature, as well as a bug, I guess.

Attached Files

• Liked by
  • Bud Hyett
BigMan54 posted this 20 November 2019

I have Lyman Manual's going back to #38. Plus all 4 Cast Bullet Handbooks and all 5 Shotgun Manuals.

They are My GoTo manuals for all Cast loads and the 1st place I look at for J-Loads.

Still buying every Manual that comes out.

Except the Hodgdon Magazine, after 14yrs of the same almost nothing. I've just given up on those.

Long time Caster/Reloader, Getting back into it after almost 10yrs. Life Member NRA 40+yrs, Life S.A.S.S. #375. Does this mean a description of me as a fumble-fingered knuckle-draggin' baboon. I also drool in my sleep. I firmly believe that true happiness is a warm gun. Did I mention how much I HATE auto-correct on this blasted tablet.

Attached Files

beltfed posted this 27 November 2019

BigMan54

I now go to the Hodgdon's on line loading data source

hodgdonreloading.com

It is good for many different cartridges. Don't need the hard copy that is dated

beltfed/arnie

Attached Files

beltfed posted this 27 November 2019

INdeed, about having old loading manuals for old ctges.

I have used my copy of Phil Sharpe's Hand Book of Shooting and Reloading-1937

and added to in early '50s Second Edition

a goodly numbe of times. My P.O. Ackley's two volume handbook set has also been handy reference.

beltfed/arnie

Attached Files

M3 Mitch posted this 20 December 2019

I just got a hardbound copy of this, ordered from Midway.  It is a good manual, but I am surprised that many newer cartridges don't have any cast bullet load shown, and the 300 H&H has only one bullet, 311291, and 3 powders (SR 4759, Rx 7, and 5744).  And as we know, 4759 is discontinued, getting harder to find.

For example the .243, they don't offer any cast loads at all for it.

Bit disappointed compared to their older manuals that are mostly about cast bullets. 

I can break out my old 80's Cast Bullet Manual and see if it does not do more justice to the 300 H&H.

Attached Files

RicinYakima posted this 21 December 2019

The 2010 Lyman 4th edition Cast Bullet Handbook has a page of 243 Win and two pages of 300 H&H. FWIW

Attached Files

• Liked by
  • Bud Hyett
  • M3 Mitch
Larry Gibson posted this 21 December 2019

The double digit Lyman manuals [post the CBH manuals] are geared more for jacketed bullet reloaders with the occasional cast bullet shooter in mind. Cast bullet data is covered in Lyman's CBH with the latest being the #4 CBH.  Even there the 243 Winchester and other 6mm cartridges do not have a lot of load data with only one or two cast bullets shown.  The #4 CBH lists data for five  cast bullets in the 300 H&H.  I suspect there are just not a lot of 6mm rifles used with cast bullets as compared to most 30 caliber rifles.

LMG

Concealment is not cover.........

Attached Files

• Liked by
  • M3 Mitch
Ken Campbell Iowa posted this 21 December 2019

phil sharpe's Complete book ... heh, i memorized that book in the 7th grade, sneaking it between my civics textbook ...  and did my senior book review on it ...  wonder what punishment our grandkids would receive today from a book review on a book containing only instructions for precision killing ?? ....

ken, warming up to the Eisenhower days ...

Attached Files

• Liked by
  • M3 Mitch
Bud Hyett posted this 21 December 2019

Mike Mohler won the CBA National Tournament with a Ruger #77 in .243 many years ago. Look at August Isaac Walton League in the 2006 Match Results which shows what load he was shooting.

He and I discussed his load since I was shooting a 6 mm BR in Long Range Handgun at that time. He worked on the 6mm cast bullet for his load for several years ad his wife was also shooting a 6mm BR in Heavy class. 

I am tempted to go back and work with the 6mm cast bullet again. I have several 6mm bore rifles in .243 Winchester and 6mm Remington that would work in Hunter Class and the Little Bore Friday competition at the CBA Nationals.

So many rifles, so little time. Too damn much rain, this year is forecast to be one of the rainiest in several decades for Seattle and this is proving true. 

Farm boy from Illinois, living in the magical Pacific Northwest

Attached Files

• Liked by
  • M3 Mitch
John Alexander posted this 21 December 2019

Bud,

Mike won in 2007 at Fairfax. He also set several records for production class that weekend that still stand - and will for awhile. He was also one of the nicest guys you will ever meet. His premature death was a tragedy.

Paul Pollard has been doing very well with a 6PPC in unrestricted rifle class the last few years.

Bill Anderson won an aggregate at the nationals this year shooting a Ruger 77 in 250 Savage.

I hope  you will give 6mm a try again. But don't tell too many 30 caliber shooters that small bores are better or everybody will be doing it and make the competition tougher.

John

Attached Files

M3 Mitch posted this 23 December 2019

Getting a bit off topic, I have found both the 22-250 and the 220 Swift to be pretty easy to get shooting accurately, and at fairly high velocity for cast, say 2200 fps.  Go figure.  Maybe overbore small caliber cartridges are not as difficult to work with as conventional wisdom suggests?

I think both the 30 and 45 calibers are so popular mostly because the Army used them for so many years.  You can probably get almost the same results with an 8mm and a 44, these are just not as popular, but are not necessarily not as good.

Attached Files

Ken Campbell Iowa posted this 24 December 2019

... 6mm ... another of my sins is collecting match grade barrels from very serious benchresters who just lost ( didn't win ) a match ...   i figure for the most part, these are as good as they ever were ... so if anyone wants to play with 6mm cast on a budget, these are available quite a bit cheaper than new ...  a good source is Bob White at  * shooter's corner * ... he is pretty straight and describes the barrels.  or i have some, including new 6mm blanks from an estate.

the list of Shooters Corner

the good news is that you can get a match grade barrel reasonably cheap ..

the bad news is that it could have been rejected for a real reason ... and it is usually 20-22 inches long ( not a drawback with target 6mm ) and 14 twist and be funny threaded for a custom action; almost always need set back and rechambered and fitted .... ( so you get a fresh correct chamber/throat , a plus ) ....  but some famous gunsmiths would not fit these used barrels to your gun, a reputation thing ... heh ...

just a thought, hoping to get more 6mm match lead shooting guns out there .  pm me if interested in something from my stash.  sorry i no longer have my 6ppc reamers.

ken

Attached Files

Close