• Last Post 20 February 2019
Bill2728 posted this 14 February 2019

My first Lyman 310 loads

Attached Files

• Liked by
  • M3 Mitch
Order By: Standard | Newest | Votes
Bill2728 posted this 14 February 2019

Wanting to try something new-to-me, I got a couple of sets of Lyman 310 tools.  They will never replace my Lee Hand Press for pure enjoyment of reloading but they were fun.

Bill

Attached Files

cbshtr posted this 14 February 2019

I bought the tool with 30/30 dies at a yard sale a few years back for $5. Everything was in really good condition. I played around with it but never loaded any ammo. You piqued my interest to try it out again.

Robert Homan

Attached Files

• Liked by
  • Bill2728
beagle6 posted this 14 February 2019

I, too have a history with the 310 tool. Oh to be young again. Some of the rounds in your loading block appear to be paper patched. Care to comment?

Attached Files

• Liked by
  • Bill2728
JeffinNZ posted this 15 February 2019

Awesome. I have a friend in Idaho with a large collection. Love the old gear.

Cheers from New Zealand

Attached Files

• Liked by
  • Bill2728
gnoahhh posted this 15 February 2019

Woops, thought it was a treatise on .310 Cadet loads.

Attached Files

• Liked by
  • tony1960
BigMan54 posted this 15 February 2019

Oh, Man, that takes me back to my Days at PAX RIver. A low-numbered 1903 and a S&W M&P marked USMC. Did a lotta shooting with those 2 guns, loaded every round on 310 Tong Tool,. 

I still have the large Handle Tool & .06 dies. But the guns & small handle tool went away a loong time ago. Good memories.

I'll always wonder a bit about that old M&P marked USMC, The old CPO that sold it to me, was that a KOSHER Transaction ?

Long time Caster/Reloader, Getting back into it after almost 10yrs. Life Member NRA 40+yrs, Life S.A.S.S. #375. Does this mean a description of me as a fumble-fingered knuckle-draggin' baboon. I also drool in my sleep. I firmly believe that true happiness is a warm gun. Did I mention how much I HATE auto-correct on this blasted tablet.

Attached Files

• Liked by
  • Bill2728
Bill2728 posted this 15 February 2019

The paper patched 30-30 was an experiment to hopefully use up an 8 lb. jug of WC860 and a pound of 4227 by duplexing the load. I just used some of the bullets I had left over. The duplex load is just too tedious for me to attempt to load with the tong tool and 748 was the closest appropriate powder the front in the magazine. I had tried to find a .301" mould but I was impatient and settled for a .303" that was in stock.

Attached Files

loophole posted this 15 February 2019

I have a set of 310 dies for almost every gun I own, and I have a Lyman  Jr press as well as an adapter to use the 310 dies in a standard press.  The 310 tools are much more convenient for small rifle--32-20--and pistol cases, when one wants to experiment and change some of the settings. they are not just a nostalgia thing--I use them for almost any small cases if I don't want to mass produce rounds on the Dillon.and I can use neck sized cases. 

Steve k

Attached Files

• Liked by
  • Bill2728
  • M3 Mitch
dromia posted this 15 February 2019

I am a fan of the 310 dies sets and use them regularly in my presses especially as they neck size only.

Attached Files

• Liked by
  • Bill2728
loophole posted this 15 February 2019

I believe the 310 expander plug works like a Lyman M plug, which I much prefer to a flare like using the Lee flaring tool.

Steve k

Attached Files

• Liked by
  • M3 Mitch
RicinYakima posted this 15 February 2019

I have loaded hundreds of rounds traveling in my RV with Ideal and Lyman hand tools. Including casting bullets around the camp fire with a #4 in 32/20. They work just fine. Although as I get older, I am using the English Pak-Tool more often as it is easier on the old hands.

Attached Files

• Liked by
  • Bill2728
Ross Smith posted this 16 February 2019

I use 310's for loading at the range.

Attached Files

• Liked by
  • Bill2728
Ken Campbell Iowa posted this 16 February 2019

i used the 310/TL Jr. dies to start, loaded over 50,000 of 222 in them .  funny, i had an old master machinist make me an adapter bushing to 310 thread to fit my genuine Herter's #3 press ...

watching that guy work his metal magic made me decide i wanted to be a lathe guy if i ever grew up ...

all my other screw-ups don't count:  i can run a lathe ... although hey those damn internal threads still make me pucker up ...

ken

Attached Files

• Liked by
  • Bill2728
longhunter posted this 17 February 2019

Well I just bought a Stevens 219 in 30-30. It was up in North Dakota on a farm.

I think a 310 tool for it would be great.

I have the handles, need a set of dies!

Thanks Ken for the Idea.

Jon

Jon Welda CW5 USA Ret.

Attached Files

• Liked by
  • Bill2728
R. Dupraz posted this 17 February 2019

Guilty of hijacking here but just sold a nice old Stevens 219 30-30 at the local gun show a couple of weeks ago. The old girl would put five RCBS 30-180-SP's with a charge of IMR 4227, right next to each other at fifty over the iron sights after I turned the noses down to .298-299" . Didn't want to drill and tap for a scope. Typically tight bores.

R.

Attached Files

tony1960 posted this 18 February 2019

I agree with you gnoahh, I almost feel violated.

Attached Files

• Liked by
  • JeffinNZ
.22-10-45 posted this 19 February 2019

One nice thing about the old Ideal tong tools is there is no shellholder needed.  I wanted to load some .38 long Colt, but case was too short to permit crimping in std. .38 Special dies.  I have a nice condition nickled Ideal No. 3 in .38 Special..this has threaded hole in handle for sizing & seating dies..still has the old priming pin in handle.  I was able to thread die deeper in handle to permit crimping of the .38 short Colt case.

Attached Files

• Liked by
  • Bill2728
  • RicinYakima
Chargar posted this 20 February 2019

I have 16 boxed sets of 310 tools in every caliber I reload and some I don't. They are like a pocket on a shirt or money in the cookie jar, always there if and when needed. 

Attached Files

• Liked by
  • Bill2728
Close