My new Taurus PT111 G2

• Last Post 13 July 2017
cbshtr posted this 13 June 2017

I finally got a chance to strip down my new G2 to remove the factory oil goop. While at it I slugged the barrel. Unfortunately,  it measures .357" just ahead of the throat. This means bullets in the .358 - 359" area. From what I've been  reading fat bullets can cause loading problems in the 9mm. I guess if I'm to get it to work good I'm going to need to use the thinnest brass I can find and a cast bullet design that keeps more lead out of the case while allowing reliable functioning. Any suggestion? Just curious what you guys are using that works well with the larger diameters.

Robert Homan

Attached Files

Order By: Standard | Newest | Votes
Ken Campbell Iowa posted this 14 June 2017

i have about the same " problem " with my beretta 9mm ... it would like a 0.357 cast bullet ... ....  i solved it by shooting mostly walmart factory ammo for practice  ... but now that i have about 6000 fired cases your post caught my attention ... my first thought is a mold with a beveled base and just try seating that  after  a normal expander ....  the enemy is shaving lead, not too much "" seating neck tension "" ...   i don't know of a 9mm coned bullet mold with a beveled base but i bet NOE would make a nice 3 cavity for around a hundred bucks ... or so . ( g ) .  i would think it would be pretty popular .

another option would be a simple bevel-base-swaging die ... but in general swaging only part of a bullet doesn't work well .

ken

Attached Files

cbshtr posted this 16 June 2017

I like the idea of the bevel base but my research has shown more negative than positive remarks concerning them.

Robert Homan

Attached Files

Eutectic posted this 18 June 2017

.357 bullets should shoot well. Try commercial cases, one headstamp. bell the case mouth, seat the bullets without closing the bell. Taper crimp in a separate step. The largest possible bullet diameter depends on the case and your chamber dimensions. You may be surprised, many 9mm Luger pistols will take commercial cases with .358 bullets.

Steve

Attached Files

cbshtr posted this 20 June 2017

I'm still trying to get a chance to shoot it to see what size bullet I can get in a fired case. Then the fun part of expanding and crimping without changing bullet size begins.

Robert Homan

Attached Files

cbshtr posted this 13 July 2017

I finally got a chance to shoot the Taurus. I was just checking for bench accuracy and function. I only fired 30 rounds of Federal FMJ and had no failures of any kind. I was impressed. These are a few targets. They are 5 at 7 yards, 10 at 10 yards and 10 at 25 yards. As you can see close wasn't bad but things opened up a bit at 25. The targets are 1.9", 2.2" and 8.25" respectively. This gun is small and there's not a whole lot of distance between the front and rear sights. Now I have to check the cases to find out what the largest diameter cast bullet I can squeeze in there.u

Robert Homan

Attached Files

Close