New *358446

• Last Post 25 September 2018
BigMan54 posted this 24 September 2018

I just received a LYMAN #358446 single cavity small block mold. It's NIB, still in plastic and wrapped in the brown waxed paper. The box is one of the black & gray striped  box.

It's my first New small block mold. As when I started my own reloading/casting setup I was only interested in mass quantities of handgun bullets. So it was 2cav or 4cav only. With 1cav #311413 for my 1903, and a #31141 for my 94Win.

I know this mold was supposed  to be the original .357 Bullet. But my Family never used it. And I never asked why. Too late now.

Anybody have experience with this bullet ? 

Long time Caster/Reloader, Getting back into it after almost 10yrs. Life Member NRA 40+yrs, Life S.A.S.S. #375. Does this mean a description of me as a fumble-fingered knuckle-draggin' baboon. I also drool in my sleep. I firmly believe that true happiness is a warm gun. Did I mention how much I HATE auto-correct on this blasted tablet.

Attached Files

Order By: Standard | Newest | Votes
Ken T posted this 24 September 2018

I have a single cavity 358446 as well.I have seen a number of negative comments about the molds usually concerning lack of accuracy.I haven't had any accuracy problems with mine.It was especially accurate in a .357 SAA.Unfortunately that revolver was stolen in 1980 and not recovered.Serial number was 63774SA .I also used it in couple of Police Positive Specials and a couple .38 Spl S&W's with good accuracy.

Attached Files

David Reiss posted this 25 September 2018

I have the 357446 mold and like it to about 1000 fps. in the .357 and to about 850 fps. in the .38 sp. Accuracy has never been an issue. It shoots extremely well in my Dan Wesson 6" using .38 sp brass and 4 gr. of Bullseye. 

David Reiss - NRA Life Member & PSC Range Member Retired Police Firearms Instructor/Armorer
-Services: Wars Fought, Uprisings Quelled, Bars Emptied, Revolutions Started, Tigers Tamed, Assassinations Plotted, Women Seduced, Governments Run, Gun Appraisals, Lost Treasure Found.
- Also deal in: Land, Banjos, Nails, Firearms, Manure, Fly Swatters, Used Cars, Whisky, Racing Forms, Rare Antiquities, Lead, Used Keyboard Keys, Good Dogs, Pith Helmets & Zulu Headdresses. .

Attached Files

RicinYakima posted this 25 September 2018

Lyman 357446 is actually the second bullet designed for the S&W Magnum, the first was the #357443. The '443 was so bad of design that they are sort of collector items now. The "446 will hold enough old "Lyman" sheep tallow lube to let you get to about 1000 f/s. You can crimp in the designed groove and it will fit in the N cylinder. Mine casts with a front driving band .359" and can size it to fit 38's and 357's. I have not found it to be a "great" bullet in many guns, but it is average in most revolvers. FWIW, Ric

Attached Files

BigMan54 posted this 25 September 2018

Ric,

I've seen that #358443 bullet. When I was a kid, My DAD & his shooting Buddy's would "kid" one of their "Posse" about his UGLY bullets. And they were UGLY.

And thanks for the info about the #358446 fitting the short cylindered N frames.

Long time Caster/Reloader, Getting back into it after almost 10yrs. Life Member NRA 40+yrs, Life S.A.S.S. #375. Does this mean a description of me as a fumble-fingered knuckle-draggin' baboon. I also drool in my sleep. I firmly believe that true happiness is a warm gun. Did I mention how much I HATE auto-correct on this blasted tablet.

Attached Files

Close