Opinions about the new Ruger Redhawk .45 combo

• Last Post 09 April 2018
Pepe Ray posted this 08 April 2018

Perhaps Ed can shed some light on why Ruger decided to make there New Red Hawk ..45 NOT compatible with the standard S&W moon clips. They were also very devious in not advertising that fact. It seems to me that it was not a necessary move as there is only .008" difference in the thickness of the clips. I was fortunate in discovering the difference before any damage was done but it makes an annoying problem to keep the two different sizes separated. I'm seriously considering dumping the Red Hawk and sticking with my S&W's.

Only in His name.

Attached Files

Order By: Standard | Newest | Votes
358156hp posted this 08 April 2018

The Redhawk cylinder is larger and heavier than the rather thin walled S&W cylinder. For this reason the moon clips aren't interchangeable. I suppose they could have re-engineered the whole revolver to do accept the old 1917 style clips, but it would have been incredibly expensive.

Attached Files

Pepe Ray posted this 09 April 2018

The loaded S&W clips slid into the cylinder as slick as snot on a door knob. The wrinkle is when you attempt to CLOSE the cylinder.  It's a no go. If you were so careless as to play "Bogie", you would be in trouble. That's how I lucked out.  Pepe Ray

Only in His name.

Attached Files

358156hp posted this 09 April 2018

Okay, I found it. I had assumed (that word again) that the moon clips for S&W fit Redhawks as poorly as the S&W pattern speedloaders fit Redhawks, but the issue centers around the location of the 45 ACP extractor groove in relation to the 45 Colts rimmed chamber. Here's the full story on why the moon clips are thicker: https://tenring.com/moon-clip-conversions/

Attached Files

• Liked by
  • M3 Mitch
Pepe Ray posted this 09 April 2018

Thanks for the update on the availability of your new technology and prices. However, it does not answer the question as to why Ruger omitted the differences in there advertising. My guess is that they knew that this revelation would chill sales to many people, like me.  That model will be discontinued w/in a few years.

Any collectors out there?

Thanks again for your return.

Pepe Ray

Only in His name.

Attached Files

Close