Pan Lubing

• Last Post 07 August 2018
pat i. posted this 06 August 2018

What are people using as a tray to pan lube? Deep in my subconscious there's something about a silicone tray floating around but I can't get it to the front. I found some lube I made about 10 years ago in the deep recesses of my fridge and want to try it with water quenched PB bullets. I don't remember what it is but possibly Emmerts. I know soft bullets are the norm with PB slow bullets but I have to try. One of these days I have to start writing things down and taking notes. If I ever shoot my cb heavy rifles again I'll have to go search old FS results to see what I used. I guess you won't see many posts by me that require hard data.

Attached Files

Order By: Standard | Newest | Votes
R. Dupraz posted this 06 August 2018

8" Teflon coated cake pans.  Walmart

R.

Attached Files

frnkeore posted this 06 August 2018

I use a standard 8" round cake pans. A 8" pan, will hold 90 bullets, 9", at least 100. All the bullet lubes that I've used, that have at least a 25% component of BW, will shirk when refrigerated.

I don't use boiling water to melt the lube, I use my kitchen stove (wife's stove, actually ) , the lowest setting to start, then move it up, until it melts and use that setting, after that.

I don't pour the lube, into the pan that has the bullets, I use the same pan and place the bullets in the pan, after the lube melts. After the bullets are removed, from then on, I just plug the holes with new bullets and remelt.

After the lube has melted, I turn the burner off and then let it cool, either on the burner or I carefully lift it off and set on the stove top.

From there, as soon as it starts to solidify, I put it in the frig for about 20 min. When the lube cools, it will pull away from the pan and a tap on a wood surface (butcher block) will let the lube cake fall out. I then push them all out, with a piece of thick leather  and start all over.

I have not used Teflon pans but, they should work better than my non-coated pans.

It may sound complicated but, it very easy and not time consuming, other than waiting for the different stages to occur. In June, of this year, I did about 500 bullets, in 3 hours, including wait time.

Emmert is a good 1400+ fps lube.

Frank

Attached Files

Ed Harris posted this 06 August 2018

I use a square 8x8" cake pan, like the ones pictured above.

73 de KE4SKY In Home Mix We Trust From the Home of Ed's Red in "Almost Heaven" West Virginia

Attached Files

pat i. posted this 06 August 2018

Thanks guys. Got em all lubed up.

Attached Files

tlkeizer posted this 07 August 2018

Greetings,

I use a muffin pan made out of what feels like silicon, whatever that stuff is.  It is flexible, the pan lube comes out well, and doing 5-8 bullets per "muffin lets me do small batches of different bullets.  I melt the lube in a jar in boiling water (jar on a trivet in the water), the small holed cakes re-melt quickly for use again soon if more bullets need be lubed.  The muffin pan I got for $1 at the local "Pregnancy Center" that sells used items.  I am keeping an eye out for a teapot like R. Dupraz uses.

Also, when I started pan lubing I worried about lube filling the hollow bases of my 405 grain bullet and my mine-balls for the .58 muzzle loader.  Worry was unfounded, neither bullet gets the hollow base filled unless I do it manually, which seems to defeat the purpose of the hollow base a bit.

BTW, I use SPG.

TK

Attached Files

OU812 posted this 07 August 2018

I heat bullets along with SPG lube in 200 degree oven. Other lubes may need a tad more heat, but not more than 240 (scorch). Silicone pan helps with easier release of lube cake. Some people place pan in freezer after heating for easier release of lube cake from metal pan, but this also causes lube to separate from lead bullets if pan and bullets is in freezer too long. Cool pan just long enough for release from pan. Check for release often.

Here is a good article on pan lubing:

http://www.blackpowderspg.com/HTML/images/Pan%20Lubing%20article%20for%20web.pdf

Attached Files

Close