Question

• Last Post 03 August 2017
shake posted this 31 July 2017

I have used  IMR 4756 with some success. Now that it is no longer available has anyone found a good substitute?

Thanks

Attached Files

Order By: Standard | Newest | Votes
TRKakaCatWhisperer posted this 01 August 2017

What caliber, what bullet weight, rate of twist, and which shootin' iron?

Attached Files

RicinYakima posted this 01 August 2017

Of the old powders, Blue Dot and 800X were closest, but not a substitute.

Attached Files

shake posted this 01 August 2017

.308, 160 gr. plain base, 1:12, CZ 550.

Attached Files

R. Dupraz posted this 01 August 2017

The tears flowed when 4756 was discontinued. Tops in .357's, 44's and others. Maybe we ought to start a write in campaign. I'd be first on the list

Attached Files

BigMan54 posted this 01 August 2017

Sorry Guys, but it's "our fault". We didn't burn enough SR4756 or either of the other 2 SR powders to make it cost effective to continue making them. They would rather make newer fancier powders that are more appealing to the younger generation that only care about blasting more bullets faster down range from their black guns. 

I have 1 can of SR4759 left. I stared at it wishing it was bottomless. Or would reproduce in the dark like dust bunnies. 

I'm gonna expand my use of 5744, only thing I can think of. 

Long time Caster/Reloader, Getting back into it after almost 10yrs. Life Member NRA 40+yrs, Life S.A.S.S. #375. Does this mean a description of me as a fumble-fingered knuckle-draggin' baboon. I also drool in my sleep. I firmly believe that true happiness is a warm gun. Did I mention how much I HATE auto-correct on this blasted tablet.

Attached Files

JeffinNZ posted this 01 August 2017

Ric mentioned 800X.  Many years ago I was given 5lb of this powder and had great results with it in everything from .22 Hornet to 8x57.  Doesn't meter worth a damn but if you are happy to weigh it then a fine choice.  A fluffy powder to take up case space. 

Cheers from New Zealand

Attached Files

Ken Campbell Iowa posted this 01 August 2017

... not directly to this question ...but has anybody had BAD results with * trail boss * ...   i keep almost trying this but it looks so weird ..  and i don't see much raving about it ...   will it work for 308/160 gr. at 1400 fps ?? 

ken

Attached Files

shake posted this 01 August 2017

I have used Trail Boss with mixed results in the past. It did well in some 30-06 loads but similar loads in .308 were not as successful. I have some on hand and a chronograph, I will try some this week and post results.

Attached Files

John Alexander posted this 01 August 2017

I bought a can of Trail Boss and tried it in the 223 with 80 grain bullets.  It produced the most consistent velocities I have ever measured but accuracy was poor compared to the other powders I was using at the time.  So much for consistent velocities producing good accuracy.

I still have most of the can and should try it again.

John

Attached Files

45 2.1 posted this 01 August 2017

I have 1 can of SR4759 left. I stared at it wishing it was bottomless. Or would reproduce in the dark like dust bunnies. 

That powder has been dropped several times now................ Next to the last time I bought 16 lbs. of it and it lasted until it was reintroduced. This time they gave a good 10 months warning. Now I won't need any more for whatever life I have left. If you like a powder, buy all you can get before it isn't available................................

Attached Files

Ken Campbell Iowa posted this 01 August 2017

john::  after achieving small velocity deviations ... you should then adjust your barrel tuner for best grouping ...

works for very short stiff 22 rimfire barrels, should do wonders for floppy sporters ... er ... hunters ....

ken

Attached Files

BigMan54 posted this 01 August 2017

I've used TRAIL BOSS since it came out . Mostly in the Cowboy cartridges. Seems to me that I get more recoil in the standard loadings for .38-55 & .45-70 that I do with equivalent loads using IMR3031. Which to me means higher pressure. Accuracy is not quite as good either. 

But the 1st load I tried gave me the EXACT POI in the .45-70 as the IMR3031 load that I've used for years.  I've also developed a fine plinking load in .38-55 that gives low recoil & good tin can accuracy. And I think it's use among new Cowboy Shooters has cut down on overcharge problems to a considerable degree.

Long time Caster/Reloader, Getting back into it after almost 10yrs. Life Member NRA 40+yrs, Life S.A.S.S. #375. Does this mean a description of me as a fumble-fingered knuckle-draggin' baboon. I also drool in my sleep. I firmly believe that true happiness is a warm gun. Did I mention how much I HATE auto-correct on this blasted tablet.

Attached Files

John Alexander posted this 01 August 2017

Ken wrote:

"john::  after achieving small velocity deviations ... you should then adjust your barrel tuner for best grouping ...

works for very short stiff 22 rimfire barrels, should do wonders for floppy sporters ... er ... hunters> 

ken" 

Good idea. Now if I could just find a factory rifle with a tuner as standard equipment.

John

Attached Files

45 2.1 posted this 01 August 2017

Good idea. Now if I could just find a factory rifle with a tuner as standard equipment.

John

There people out there making tuners that screw right on to threaded muzzles. I have one on a Ruger Gunsite Scout rifle......... unfortunately, it doesn't help with high velocity cast at all. I have no experience with one on a .22 LR or low velocity cast. On the other hand, I know a couple of people who do have Browning bolt guns with the boss on them and they are tuneable to much better accuracy with high velocity cast. It all depends on the tuner type from what we've found.

Attached Files

Scearcy posted this 02 August 2017

I stopped by the LGS yesterday just to browse. There were several factory threaded "tactical" rifles on the rack. I didn't realize there were tuners available which might help these rifles. could those of you hands on experience expand some on what didn't work and what might work?

Attached Files

John Alexander posted this 02 August 2017

I think that tuners have been proven beyond a reasonable doubt for 22 rimfire.  Ken has direct experience.  Whether they will do anything that load variations in handloads will not do is another question but I don't know anything about it.

It is moot for my main CB interests because they can't be used in CBA production or hunting rifle classes.

John

Attached Files

Ken Campbell Iowa posted this 03 August 2017

sorry for the thread drift ... tuners should have their own thread .  ( get it??  ... thread .... ) ...

tuners do seem to work ; more correctly they change group size .    tuners can be clamped on, don't need to thread barrel .  the tuners are very tedious to adjust: on my 20 inch long  1 inch diameter 22 lr very stiff barrels, moving a 6? ounce weight 3 or 6 thousandths would go into and out of a sweet spot; a ratio of about 3 to 1 in group size .

that 3 to 1 ratio was with ammo that would shoot under 0.5 moa .... never tried it on a cf  barrel that shoots 2 moa with cast.   ...  not sure it would reduce a 3 inch group to 1 inch ( g ) ..... likely to change it more like 1/4 inch ???? ......  anybody want to play with tuners pm/email  me, we could design a tuner to be built on a hobby lathe .  the hard work would be establishing valid data .... otoh,  it could be a lot of grins ...  if our first two groups were different, we could claim victory and write a report !!  ..., heh ...

ken

Attached Files

Bud Hyett posted this 03 August 2017

Remember Browning's BOSS system? It is no longer offered on their standard rifles, I do not know if it is available via special order. 

This is a factory tuner system that should be legal for Production and hunter rifles since it comes from the factory. 

It was not user friendly for the average hunter, but could be the cast bullet shooter's dream for tinkering.  

Farm boy from Illinois, living in the magical Pacific Northwest

Attached Files

Close