Ruger #3 30/40 AI

• Last Post 02 July 2017
Rich/WIS posted this 13 June 2017

Started working on loads and results are promising.  Tried NOE version of the 311291 backed by 16 gr Blue Dot, did about 2MOA but had a bit more recoil than I liked.  Reduced the load to 14 gr and got about 3 MOA and mild recoil,  although I was not in top form and suspect that will tighten  Don't know why but some days I am rock steady and some days I shake like a dog pooping peach pits.  Trying the 14 gr load was a peach pits day.  Just for fun loaded some Lyman 311576 (125 gr) in front of 5 grains of Bullseye, shot into less than an inch at 25 with no recoil. Didn't try them at 100yards but suspect accuracy will fall off as the load is subsonic and the wind has a long time to work on such a light bullet.  Our range has a 6" steel plate at 100 yds and if I can get a reliable 2 MOA load (less would be nice) I will be satisfied.

Did pick up some 150 and 180 gr RN J words to work up a load for deer season, something between 30/30 and 308 for my Grandson to use. Since he just turned two have a few years before I have to worry about that, although I may give it try myself, just to be sure it works of course.

Attached Files

Order By: Standard | Newest | Votes
frnkeore posted this 13 June 2017

I also have a 30/40 Imp. Mine has a case capacity of about 2 gr less water weight than a 30-06. So, you will be fine with using '06 cast bullet data, to pick your starting loads, for the velocity that you want to work with.

Unique is also a good powder for low velocity loads, I've had some remarkable results with it.

Before I rechambered to Imp, one of my better loads was 14.0 gr of 4759. 14 -15 gr of that or 4227 should give good results. If you use 4759, be sure to use pistol primers, such as Rem 2 1/2 or F150. 4227, isn't fussy about primers though.

Believe it or not, subsonic has less wind drift that supersonic, in our (cast bullet) velocity range.

Frank

Attached Files

lotech posted this 13 June 2017

Rich-

I've been shooting a Ruger #3 in .30-40 for over thirty years, almost exclusively with cast bullets. I've had the Lyman #311291 mould for a long time, but according to my notes, never tried it in .30-40. I've used many different designs in the .30-40, but haven't found anything that will outshoot the 200 gr. Lyman #314299 cast of ww alloy and sized to .311".  My loads are in the 1,600 - 1,700 fps range using mainly 5744 and 4759, though Reloder 7, and one of the 4198s or 4895s may do as well or better. I can't shoot a 1 1/4" or 1 1/2" group every time at 100 yards, but can do it enough to know I have an accurate load despite my somewhat ancient and slightly cloudy K3 Weaver scope and my own shortcomings.

As for jacketed bullets, I've only tried a few and that was about ten years ago, using some of the "Ruger #3 only" loads from Hodgdon #25. With a .30-40 Imp., you should be able to safely equal or maybe slightly exceed .308 data. I had particularly good accuracy using the 180 Hornady Spire Point. Good luck- 

Attached Files

Ken Campbell Iowa posted this 13 June 2017

hopefully not too far off thread, but my ruger 3 ( 45-70 ) has a minor aggravation .,.. if i chamber a slightly tight case, the extractor jumps over the rim when extracting after the block is closed ...but if i fire the cartridge, it ejects just fine ... apparently the jolt seats the extractor ... also if i nudge the extractor under the rim with a small screwdriver before raising the block it extracts ok.

i need to take this apart and adjust or replace something ... but not sure what needs attention ... any suggestions ?  worn cam button ?  weak spring ? need more clearance under extractor ? ... i have a couple other #1 actions in 308 and magnum case rims that do not do this.

ken

Attached Files

4060may posted this 13 June 2017

Ken

Look for crud under the extractor

Rich

best loads in mine are 30-sp-180 RCBS and Unique, using 308 Win load data, vel about 1650-1700, good to 385M, turkey bank, or Reloder7 about 1750

and 311299 W/Varget at about 1950, good to 500M, Ram Bank

Attached Files

Westhoff posted this 13 June 2017

I'd just like to find a source of 30-40 brass.  I've only about 40 Krag hulls left, and they aren't all the same headstamp.  Anybody know of a reliable source, at a somewhat reasonable price?

Wes

Attached Files

4060may posted this 13 June 2017

Wes

www.grafs.com has it in stock, graf headstamp, heard it is made by Jamison's

Attached Files

Ken Campbell Iowa posted this 14 June 2017

wes ::  if desperate, i have about 20 old fired krag cases i found in my stash ... can send them along and you can see if they work for you , they are a little ugly as they lay. ( g ) .  pm me if .   ken

Attached Files

Westhoff posted this 14 June 2017

Ken:

Many  thanks for the offer, but what I'm looking for is enough 30-40 brass to allow me to start using my old Krag in military CB matches. I've been shooting my issue 03-A3, but it's gotten to where the only other shooter in Issue class is Mitch, the match director, and I'm not sure he's not shooting Issue just to keep me from being lonesome.

That Krag is the first high powered rifle I owned.  Bought it when I was home on shore leave from the Merchant Marine during WWII.  Bought it from a gun shop in Pomona, CA.  The previous owner had shortened the barrel, cobbled up the stock, built a sort of a pistol grip out of lots of wood putty and a little bit of wood, and put a 3/4"  3X Wee Weaver scope on it.  I've since prettied it up a bit with a Herters stock and a Bushnell Scopechief 2 3/4 power scope, and it's still pretty accurate.

Think I'll see what I can come up with from Graf.  Again, thanks for the offer.

Wes

Attached Files

Westhoff posted this 01 July 2017

I went ahead and bought 50 pieces of 30-40 brass from Graf.  Checked them all for weight;, 49 all within +/- 0.5 gr. The one that didn't make it was out by 0.2 gr on the light side.  Checked length; all good, no trimming needed. Checked in Wilson shell guage; they all look good. Only one problem: discovered that Lee doesn't make a Collet Neck Sizer Die for 30-40 Krag brass. I have a standard set of reloading dies for my 30-40, but I've found that my '06 and my .308 brass lasts a whole lot longer when they're run through Lee's Collet dies.  Tried to figure out how to contact LEE to see if they'd make me one for 30-40 but gave up.  Got the feeling they don't really want to go that route.

Anybody successfully gone that route with Lee?  If so, please tell me how.

Wes

p.s. I'm going to go ahead and load these up and see how they work.  I'll keep y'all posted.

Attached Files

4060may posted this 02 July 2017

use a .303 brit collet die, I have been using one since they first were available, I use the same de-capping pin because i size my bullets to .311, also if you check to see if the neck sticks out of the collet, this is good, leaves a bell on the case, I cut the end of the collet to make sure this happens,

If you are sizing bullets .308-9 use a 30-06 pin, the 30-06 de-capping rod is too tight for my bullets

shell holder LEE #5

Attached Files

Westhoff posted this 02 July 2017

4060may:

O.K.  Now I'll have to scare up a .303 Brit collet die, which'll probably be cheaper new than paying 70 plus bucks for a special order collet die from LEE (I did, finally figure out how to see if maybe they might make me a 30-40 die).

Many thanks for the tip.

Wes

Attached Files

Wes

If you have a 30-06 Collet Die, all you have to buy is the .303 Collet and the top spacer, decapping pin will work, I would buy the .303 De-capping pin also

LEE sells spare parts, kinda hard to find on their site, but they are there, I have bought them previously

I tried to find them on the site, you may have to call

Attached Files

The die only is 20.00, if you can find one..part number 98011022

Attached Files

Close