Ruger 7722 Hornet

• Last Post 03 April 2017
rmrix posted this 26 March 2017

I have a Ruger 77 22 Hornet I have never been happy with. I have a Manson reamer for the standard chamber. I intend to try to set the Ruger barrel back and recut the chamber and see how I like it. Failing joy with that I will put a new barrel on it. Looking at Green Mountain's barrel info there are two options that look like are in my price range.

A center fire blank- 0.220 - 0.224"

http://www.gmriflebarrel.com/rx2214-223-caliber-1-14-twist-chrome-moly-barrel-blank/

Or maybe this 22 RF magnum blank with slightly deeper rifling. 0.219 - 0.224"

http://www.gmriflebarrel.com/22m-blank-22-magnum-raw-gunsmith-edition-blank-1-14/?revpage=2#reviews

Any thoughts for a rifle that will shoot both cast and jacket?

Attached Files

Order By: Standard | Newest | Votes
Ken Campbell Iowa posted this 26 March 2017

hi ...  i have a ruger 77h sporter ... since 1992 or so. 

in my opinion the quality of  ruger barrels are pretty good, good enough for 1moa or better .

there are a couple problems with the r77h ....

1)  bedding ... there really isn't any in the factory setup .  just stock bolts that keep the metal from jumping clear out of the wood ... then when the bullet is halfway down the barrel the magazine metal may or not crash into something .   .

when i first got mine, we started a group on the internet ... this cute little rifle shot mostly 2 to 6 moa out of the box.  our group was called * the ruger 77hornet victims group *  one benchrest buddy of mine called ruger and they thought his 6 inch groups was within expected results .

2)  the 2-piece bolt design is actually just fine ... but with varying rim thicknesses and a 0.030 gap behind the front ...or locking block ... half of the bolt, the thought is that the gun will rattle differently from shot to shot .

the first thing i tried was pillar bedding the 2 stock bolts ... but the most important was adding a recoil feature .. i simply milled a 3/8 inch counterbore into the bottom of the barrel an inch ahead of the action and epoxied an aluminum plug into that counterbore.  then sunk a matching counterbore into the stock and epoxied ( devcon aluminum ) a recoil pocket.  a little flimsy for a magnum but it seemed to be enough for my hornet .  full loads dropped to 1 moa   ... hornady sx 50 gr bullets .  oh,  relieve everything else that recoil might bounce off of ... like the magazine metal .

since i just plink, i shot it that way up to about 6 years ago... the gap in the bolt bothered me, so i got a good take-off barrel here on the cba... and set back, rechambered  with saami reamer, and set headspace to bolt-bump .... this caused the bolt gap to disappear ...   now i have to try any new brass to see if the rims fit ok, but heck it seems better ...

but the big improvement was bedding ... recoil/vibration control .

i have heard good things about the green mountain barrels ... barrels are a statistical thing but i think it is worth a try to bed your rifle first.  oh, and lap or “  gary's  bore snake “' your barrel... whether factory or new match barrel .  for barrel dimensions, no real difference .   we tried many different designs in benchrest rimfire and the best barrels were just the lucky pick from the pile.  2 grooves might have been slightly worse.

i still have that saami reamer yet if you want to use it ... manson or clymer i think .  let me know.  not too many chips from a hornet chamber ; never wear it out .

i also see complaints about the r77h trigger ... but mine seems ok to me .. about 3 pounds , but i just plink .

oh... light recoil .. i wound up with a simmons 22 mag 3-9 with AO .. working fine so far .. $75 . 

just some thoughts on a cute little rifle .... ken

oh if you are still thinking rebarreling i collect varmint wt.  br match grade barrels .. 14 twist, 20-22 inches usually .  might work for the hornet .  email me if .  the guys take these off if they don't shoot 0.1- 0.2 groups .. or if they lose ( g ) .

Attached Files

John Alexander posted this 26 March 2017

Ken's post make it sound like you get a  rifle KIT to work on instead of a rifle when buying a 77 22 Hornet.  I have had three Ruger Hornets, all #3s.  None would shoot much less than 3 moa with jacketed bullets. Neat little gun but I finally gave up on all three. The four #1s I have had all produced under 1 moa average five shot groups so I don't think it was the usual #1 problem.

I have been resisting buying a 77 hornet since they came out. In spite of their good looks, it hasn't been too difficult because of their terrible reputation for poor accuracy and lousy triggers, but have always thought that if I got one and it didn't shoot well I would rechamber to K-Hornet and head space on the case shoulder, instead of the rim by sticking to neck sizing or only enough full length sizing so there is always slight resistance to bolt closure.  This would take out both the differences in rim thickness variation and the slop in the two piece bolt.  Still would probably have to improve bedding and do something about the trigger.  I'm not as tolerant of poor triggers as Ken.

This of course is only theory because I don't know if anybody has tried it and I am still resisting buying another Hornet  in spite of all the hornet brass I accumulated and if I did it would be a CZ because of the excellent reputation their hornets have.  It they can do it why can't an American company do as well?

John

Attached Files

R. Dupraz posted this 26 March 2017

Shortly after Ruger introduced the 77/22 Hornet, I bought a new one.. I shot it a few times at fifty yds and then it went on to my smith to have him rebarrel with a heavy varmint chambered in 22K. As this was the intent anyway. Never really paid much attention to how it shot with that silly original stiletto tube because I wasn't going to keep it anyway.

Bob affixed a new Wilson heavy 24” tube and then chambered it in 22K Hornet. I think it is a 14” twist but don't remember. The tang and receiver ring were bedded and just a slim ribbon of bedding compound about an inch long or so and maybe a half inch wide was laid in the bottom of the barrel channel from the receiver ring forward. Nothing was done with the joint in the two piece bolt.

It will easily go well under an inch at 100 with a sierra 45 grain SP and a charge of IMR 4227 Have never tried cast though. 

Attached Files

Ken Campbell Iowa posted this 26 March 2017

hi rd ... are we going to see a ruger 77 hornet bunny shoot in the future ??   ha ...  yours ... rmrix ... mine...  john a.'s new one ... gotta be a couple more in the cba .... they have 14 twist, so hopefully 55 gr cast  might work .  i used 225438 45 gr... but traded that to joeb.  only have lee 22 bator now but that actually looks good .

brownells should sponsor it ... they would sell some reamers and bedding epoxy ...

probably the ultimate cure for the r77h is to float the action and glue in the barrel ... like the 10-22 .... ( g ) .

i do like my cute little 77h tho ... did you know it is MADE IN AMERICA ?  it is worth tinkering with .

ken

Attached Files

R. Dupraz posted this 26 March 2017

Hey Ken;

That ruger is the last of my PD battery. And the only reason that it is still here is that I “unshamingly” have somewhat of an emotional attachment to the little beast cuz it shot so well. Don't think that the K has been fired in 20 years  but I have to say that some kind of BR Hornet match at 100 gets the plumbing pumping a bit! Still got all the fixins.

Didn't mean to hi jack this thread but some times lose all sense of reason and just get carried away.

Attached Files

Scearcy posted this 26 March 2017

This is an answer to the a question you didn't ask. the four of us who comprise our PD group all keep at least one 22 Hornet in our battery.Last count we had owned 8 or 9 between us. There are no Rugers and at present I don't believe there are any Savages left - at least on the active list. There are 2 Brownings (the Micro action) and 2 CZs. The CZs have better triggers and the Brownings tend to be a bit more accurate. At one point there was even a Kimber. Nice looking rifle - now a safe queen.

Perhaps a trade makes more sense.

Jim

Attached Files

OU812 posted this 26 March 2017

When my stainless 77/22 Hornet was new Vertical stringing got taller as barrel heated up. Removing forearm pressure point from stock and free floating the barrel help make groups more round.

The older pre 1995 vintage 1680 (Winchester 680) is the only powder that shoots accurately in my stainless 77/22 Hornet. The new 1680 is a different make and will not work. Sierra 45 grain Hornet bullets shot most consistent 1” groups.

Remington brass is thinner and has more capacity than Winchester and others, but one worked better...I can not remember which one.

Attached Files

Ken Campbell Iowa posted this 27 March 2017

just to continue the r77h saga.. i remember another buddy that joined our victims club .. his shot so bad he sold the thing, gave me his brass and hornet bullets ... ha.....

but since i bedded mine, it is a favorite for my grandkids and visiting non-shooter guests ... we load them by the cigar box full . now mostly 35 gr hornady and various powders to blow up water-filled pop cans.

the cz is likely to be more accurate out of the box but the ruger will respond to a little tlc ... and is a prettier rifle .  too bad they aren't closer to $385 these days ...  remember those neat ruger adds with the hornet crawling all over the page ?? ... DANG  !!

yeah i see that hornet bunny shoot coming up ... lee bator don't let me down ...

ken

Attached Files

rmrix posted this 29 March 2017

There is some helpful info above. Thank you.

Ken - I have a reamer, standard Hornet. So thank you very much for the offer of the loan.

Tools - Screwing and unscrewing barrels.

The action has flat sides so action wrench can be bench vice (padded).

Barrel is 0.920” ahead of the action.

Being cheap, I will have to make something.  I'm thinking a 3 foot handle on two massive lengths of 1018 to squeeze my yet to be made barrel bushing around the 0.920” barrel, aluminum, maple, nylon. ????

Haven't done this before.

Learning's fun. proceed fearlessly.  

Attached Files

Ken Campbell Iowa posted this 29 March 2017

for an action wrench i use brownells ...only has about 18 inch handle but i use a 2 lb rubber handle to give it a snap.  i usually use wood bushings ...so far haven't had any problems .   several gunnys have said that if you need more friction put some sugar in the bushing .  last resort  is to take a groove cut just at the front of the receiver ... takes the tension off the threads .  i did  that on one action because it is fast but it scrapped the takeoff barrel.

let me know if i can help ; hornets are smiles .

ken

Attached Files

JeffinNZ posted this 29 March 2017

I shot a Ruger Hornet once.  Just once.  Terrible accuracy.  Why by a new rifle and the first thing you have to do is put a new barrel on it?

Cheers from New Zealand

Attached Files

rmrix posted this 29 March 2017

Hello Jeff, If this was directed to me, I am not sure how it applies to what I am doing. You will need to explain more.

If not to me,  ....carry on.

Attached Files

R. Dupraz posted this 29 March 2017

Jeff. A legitimate question.

The following reasons are...

1. A passion for heavy barreled varmint rifles that will hit the same spade on an ace of spades every time at 100 yds.

2. Same as above for varmint hunting, prairie dogs at the top of the list. Length of time spent only limited by ammo supply

3. Wanted a heavy barreled K Hornet. None offered by anyone at the time.

4. The scaled down Ruger Hornet CF action was the perfect choice

5. The K Hornet will run through the Ruger action and rotary magazine, no alterations

6. Fire form, Just chamber and shoot standard Hornets 

7.The Ruger wasn't offered in a heavy barrel at the time. Only the stupid skinny 20 incher.

8. Live near a nationally known gunsmith that could put the rifle together for me. He did. And it will, dang near every time.

9. Needed a bottom end added to my PD battery. The top end was a Rem 40x heavy stainless single shot 25-06 from their custom shop, With a few in between.

10. Just because I thought that it would be a little jewel, It is.

R.

Attached Files

rmrix posted this 01 April 2017

I took the Ruger 7722 hornet to the range for the last time before rechambering it. I wanted to document some groups with factory loads. I have some twenty year old Winchester and Remington loads. Standard loading 45 and 46 grains. I also shot two on my better handloads.

No point is shooting farther than 100y. I want to keep all shots on the paper <G>.

The first to go was the Remington. It shot the first shot wild and settled down into something like 3 inches. This rifle never did do well with the Remington ammo.

The Winchester ammo shot into about 2.5” and to a different point of aim. The Winchester ammo really has been as good (or better as any load I have ever built for this rifle. The Winchester ammo = 2'5"  and I guess that is why I am going to see if I can learn and improve things by setting the barrel back and rechambering.

This has been a 2-1/2 MOA rifle with best handloads and never have I topped the factory Win ammo with what I could put together at the loading bench.

After I get done doing what ever I end up doing to the factory barrel, I will shoot some of this same ammo to contrast and compare. 

Just waiting on stuff now......

Attached Files

4570sharps posted this 03 April 2017

If it was my rifle I would re-chamber in to 22 k hornet!

Attached Files

JSH posted this 03 April 2017

I had read some of the input on the Ruger along with the CZ. Both had their issues. I disliked the magazine holding back OAL on both. I had read the feed back on the Savage rifles also, their single shot interested me but was discontinued. A glorified 22rf action. I all but tripped over a new old stock Savage model 40. It was such a handsome devil I had to have it. Swapped a couple of WW 22rf rifles for it. Two sets of dies and some ammo and brass was thrown in on the deal. All I shot in it for a while was factory ammo. Shot so so. I then loaded some 40 grain BK in it. That turned it into a shooter. Life got in the way and it sat for quite a while. I happened on some equipment in a package deal. There was a 225415 mold and lube die in this mess. I cast some up and with a dose of SR 7625, success right out of the gate!

Time will tell as to the action. I don't crowd it as I was looking for a reload able 22rf-22 mag speed. With lube on things where they make contact I don't know how you would wear one out in life time? Buddy has a mold that drops at around 62 grains. I taste tested some and kept them around 1030-1100 fps trying some different powders. The gun will keep them at 1 1/2"@100, as long as I do my part. With the craziness of 22rf match ammo prices I really thought we would see some up dates on these smaller reload able cases.

Barsness or Pearce mentioned in passing wanting a 25 somthing a while back. It sounds good,"but” without changing bore to 251 there is not a heck of a lot out there in 25's in a lite weight projectile that would suffice for varmints. Yes the 25-20 bullets, but how many of those does one see in a month or a year. A couple of gents messing with 25's in wheel guns. One using 251 and the other 257, both with cast and jacketed. Jeff

Attached Files

OU812 posted this 03 April 2017

Check out this Custom shop Remington. This 22 Rimfire  would be lots more fun to shoot.

https://www.remington.com/custom-shop/rimfire-rifles/model-547/model-547-target

Attached Files

rmrix posted this 03 April 2017

If it was my rifle I would re-chamber in to 22 k hornet!

There are a few good reasons to do just that. No debate there.

With my goal in mind of learning something, I am going to set back and rechamber with a standard reamer first. Then if need be try a new barrel. Then, if there is still a then, maybe move on to a K Hornet.

I am trying to change as little as I can with each incarnation.   Right now, I have an open mind and am excited to learn. The purpose, long ago when I got this rifle was to have both a reduced load cast bullet rifle and a full power rifle in one and see where it takes me.

Other than burning a lot of time, money and bullets, I feel like I have only learned what the rifle does not do.  Moving forward, I view it as an opportunity.

Attached Files

Close