Ruger New Model Blackhawk .44 Special

• Last Post 17 September 2017
Pigslayer posted this 25 August 2017

Bought a new Ruger New Model Blackhawk in .44 Special about two years ago. Had Accurate Molds make a 250 grain PBSWC mold for it. It didn't shoot well even though my sizing of the bullets was correct & tried both Unique & Titegroup powders with varying loads. Thanks go to Ed Harris for the written tutorial he gave me on bore lapping my gun & also pointing me in the right direction in getting the cylinder honed (cylinderhone.net). The information learned here concerning taking proper measurement of cylinder dia. vs. groove/bore diameter is invaluable. Ed critiqued me on how to determine if I had thread choke at the forcing cone. Well, come to find out, I did. Bore lapping as per Ed's instructions took care of that quick. My .44 special is a "tack driver" as a result & I DO MEAN tack driver! Thanks again Ed.

-Pat

If someone else had of done to me what I did to myself . . . I'd have killed him. Humility is an asset. Heh - heh.

Attached Files

Order By: Standard | Newest | Votes
Ken Campbell Iowa posted this 25 August 2017

interesting how we humans take such delight when we find a tool that works well .... and maybe even more delight when we solve the puzzle and make a tool even better ....  nice to remember that us'ns have a good side also ...

ken

Attached Files

delmarskid posted this 25 August 2017

I like mine. The choke at the cone might be a thing with these. I fire lapped mine and I will look into the honing. It's a fun gun to shoot.

Attached Files

R. Dupraz posted this 25 August 2017

It took about 30 shots with clover compound to get rid of the crush ring in mine. After which it left nothing to be desired at the target line.

Attached Files

Pigslayer posted this 25 August 2017

Took my .44 Special to the range today. Grouped extremely well @ 7, 15 & 25 yds.. I forgot my little screwdriver to adjust the sights as it was shooting a little high and to the right. Drat!

-Pat 

If someone else had of done to me what I did to myself . . . I'd have killed him. Humility is an asset. Heh - heh.

Attached Files

BigMan54 posted this 26 August 2017

Pigslayer,

I glued a small hinged cap old film canister sideways to the inside of my MTM range box. With 2 small holes in it's bottom it's a perfect fit for the 2 small screw drivers that I use for sight adjustment.  They are ALWAYS there. Right next to the business size card that has the which/way adjustment info for Colt/Ruger/S&W.

Long time Caster/Reloader, Getting back into it after almost 10yrs. Life Member NRA 40+yrs, Life S.A.S.S. #375. Does this mean a description of me as a fumble-fingered knuckle-draggin' baboon. I also drool in my sleep. I firmly believe that true happiness is a warm gun. Did I mention how much I HATE auto-correct on this blasted tablet.

Attached Files

Dale53 posted this 27 August 2017

I have a blued Ruger Flattop with a 5 1/2" barrel and a SS with 4 5/8" barrel. I use a Mihec mould for a proper clone of the H&G #503 250 gr. SWC. I also use a group buy 200 gr. Full wadcutter. I guess I got lucky. Both of mine group under an inch at 25 yards off a rest. Of course, they both required a trigger job...

I really like the Ruger Flattops in .44 Special (I only waited fifty years for them🙄).

I'm happy to hear that the O.P. Solved his accuracy problems. They are a nearly perfect field revolver and I would venture to say that there are a bunch of happy owners.

FWIW

Dale53

Attached Files

Pigslayer posted this 17 September 2017

I have a Ruger New Model Blackhawk in .45 Colt. Picked it up at a gun show about 15 years ago. It was Mint & being sold on consignment. I think I picked it up for about $300.00 . . . me thinks. I really don't think that it was ever shot. As I remember I looked up the year of manufacture as per S/N and again, as I remember it was 1979. Never had to do any work on it. I guess Ruger's specs. were better then. Deadly accurate . . . I do mean accurate! Have never put a jacketed bullet through it. I keep it nice as I do all of my guns. It's my favorite handgun!

-Pat 

Attached Files

Close