Shooting the Marlin 1889, 44-40, Manufactured in 1891 with a new Tang Sight

• Last Post 23 April 2019
Bryan Austin posted this 22 April 2019

I finally got to shoot my 1889 with a tang sight installed.

After only a few adjustments, I was able to score 5 1/2", 6 1/4" and 6 1/2" groups at 100 yards. I could not see the yellow @ 100 yards so I was somewhat guessing where the center was since I had the targets tacked onto white poster board. I am not a Marksman so I call this good for this old boy!

Attached Files

Order By: Standard | Newest | Votes
Bryan Austin posted this 22 April 2019

I can't get the target photos to upload...they are jpg files. They can be seen on the Marlin forum

https://www.marlinowners.com/team-44-40/588541-marlin-model-1889-manufactured-1891-a.html#post7837695

Attached Files

delmarskid posted this 22 April 2019

That sight looks very nice. I'm looking with my phone so I can't see as well as I would like to. Is that an original?

Attached Files

• Liked by
  • Bryan Austin
Bryan Austin posted this 23 April 2019

Howdy delmarskid...no, its new from Marbles. I got separate screws and they dont hold good so I had to use some washers to temporarily fill the void. The screws dont had a thick enough taper to contact the wide hole before the screw bottoms out.

Attached Files

• Liked by
  • delmarskid
Dukem posted this 23 April 2019

The news about the screws does not exactly thrill me. I bought four Marble's tang sights a month or so ago. The screws were on back order at Midway and I got those a couple weeks ago. I have not installed any of the sights yet. Hopefully I'll have better luck than you, but I'm not holding my breath.

Duke

Attached Files

Bryan Austin posted this 23 April 2019

Yeah, the screws were not included in the purchase. Not sure what screws I got but they could be the incorrect ones. I have yet a chance to look into what the deal is with the screws.

Attached Files

Ken Campbell Iowa posted this 23 April 2019

i copied a couple of the targets ... i think.  if these are not the correct ones, please advise and i will delete this post .

Attached Files

• Liked by
  • Bryan Austin
  • M3 Mitch
delmarskid posted this 23 April 2019

I finally got to shoot my 1889 with a tang sight installed.

After only a few adjustments, I was able to score 5 1/2", 6 1/4" and 6 1/2" groups at 100 yards. I could not see the yellow @ 100 yards so I was somewhat guessing where the center was since I had the targets tacked onto white poster board. I am not a Marksman so I call this good for this old boy!

Attached Files

Howdy delmarskid...no, its new from Marbles. I got separate screws and they dont hold good so I had to use some washers to temporarily fill the void. The screws dont had a thick enough taper to contact the wide hole before the screw bottoms out.

Attached Files

Thanks, I have an 89 in 32-20. I'm pretty sure it's going to like a nice sight. I want to put one on the Savage 99 too.

Attached Files

• Liked by
  • Bryan Austin
  • M3 Mitch
Close