• 2K Views
  • Last Post 25 March 2018
  • Topic Is Solved
[email protected] posted this 23 March 2018

source for 20 gauge slugs or mold for the same

Attached Files

Order By: Standard | Newest | Votes
onondaga posted this 23 March 2018

I wish I could tell you what size round ball mold to get that fits an AA wad and AA hull in 20 ga because they sure work well for me in 12 ga. I use a Lee .690" round ball in an AA wad and AA hull. The fit is perfect with no ringed hull bulging and the wad / ball can be pushed through the bore with 1 to 2 pounds push and through my IC choke with 3-4 pounds push with a cleaning rod. That is a GOOD fit that shoots well, easily groups under 2 inches at 50 yards and massacres the biggest Whitetail Deer.

Stick with AA, they have a great reputation when using an AA wad as a sabot for a ball or slug in an AA hull. I bet somebody here knows the right size round ball for this load in 20 ga and you should expect excellent accuracy with a combination that fits correctly. Blown damaged wads downrange are an indication that you have a too tight or too loose fit. A good fit shoots well.

Lee round ball molds are inexpensive and work well cast in pure lead for your application. I hope someone lists the correct size for AA stuff in 20 ga.

Gary

Attached Files

John Alexander posted this 23 March 2018

If your gun is rifled you may be interested in the four part article (In Fouling Shots 175, 176, 178, and 179 on my saga of finding a combination that made a 20 gauge rifled slug gun into a very satisfactory 125 yard deer rifle.  

I think you can find them on the CBA blog. They are also in the CD covering TFS from 1992 to 2007 for sale in the CBA store.

John

Attached Files

nosee posted this 24 March 2018

In my 20ga. I load a .600 patched round ball, real deer stopper, same powder as for 7/8 oz. of # 8 shot.Cornmeal filler,so hull crimps proper. Nosee.

Attached Files

Ross Smith posted this 24 March 2018

.600 in my trade gun patched with .018, should work in a shot cup. Also evil bay has old lyman molds and also new russian molds.

Attached Files

onondaga posted this 24 March 2018

The usual sources were out of .600 Lee RB but Amazon has them:

https://www.amazon.com/Lee-Precision-600-Mold-Ball/dp/B001GXLOAU/ref=sr_1_fkmr0_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1521872116&sr=8-1-fkmr0&keywords=Lee+.600+round+ball+mold

I wouldn't hesitate to use a round ball in a 20 ga. The round ball has a well known reputation for doing spectacularly well on Deer. The wad fit and no case bulge or a slight bulge that cycles easily is the best start in the right direction. You won't have trouble finding people that agree a round ball that shoots well is better than  a slug for Deer.

The Winchester 1200 I use with a sabotted RBs shoots slightly better than a sabotted slug through an IC Winchoke. I tried a Rifled Slug Choke and accuracy did not increase, the IC was better. My 12 ga groups at 50 yards are always less than 3 balls wide

Gary

Attached Files

Attached Files

My two 20ga. round ball shooters. Shoot flinter at rendezvous,lots of smoke,very few hits! Little 20 double is coachgun,deer gun with rb,s,rabbit & bird with #8, also my STAND IN THE CORNER, BY MY BED FRIEND! Loaded with okra seed and rock salt.

Attached Files

Scearcy posted this 24 March 2018

Not that it really matters but how heavy is a .60 round ball? If a 50 caliber RB (.490) is 170 gr, rough math would indicate that a .6 ball would be approx 310 gr but sometimes my rough math lies.

Attached Files

Yes ,Scearcy, That is what the book says, .310 very soft rb lead---Nosee.

Attached Files

GP Idaho posted this 25 March 2018

Other options for the O.P.  Shotgun slugs and round ball loads are my newest quest. Here's a few things I've fired out of my 20ga. single shot smooth bore with a fixed modified choke.  The Lee .600 and .575 round balls, the Lee 54cal. REAL and the Lyman 20ga. sabot slug and the Lyman 370gr. 50cal. Maxi.  Once again, fit is the all important thing.  You will find a lot of variables in shotgun wads and the trick is to find a wad, patch and projectile that is a firm fit to the choke restriction of your shotgun. Get close using your calipers to measure the pay load and then push the combination through the bore with a rod. A good fit should require a firm push. I've found that the 54cal. REAL will work in the right wad as is  and so does the Lyman sabot slug. The others require patching up to fit your choke. Hope this helps. All are available through the common vendors.  Gp

Attached Files

Close