Tumble Lube at the National 2016.

• Last Post 26 December 2016
  • Topic Is Solved
Paul Pollard posted this 08 December 2016

John Alexander indicated in FS 244 that nobody used tumble lube at the National this year. I did indeed use tumble lube, but it doesn't look like an “official” tumble lube in the tech sheet. It isn't an official lube anyway. It works on the 6ppc, but not the 30BR or 300 Blackout. The 30 calibers get leading when we used it. When photo posting is available, I'll post a picture of the bullets. 

It would be nice if there were an explanation for posting pictures. That dialog box leaves me with a big question mark. Huh? What are they asking for? 

Attached Files

• Liked by
  • mtngun
Order By: Standard | Newest | Votes
David Reiss posted this 08 December 2016

Paul, are you asking about the box when you get after you have clicked on the photo icon in the toolbar?

David Reiss - NRA Life Member & PSC Range Member Retired Police Firearms Instructor/Armorer
-Services: Wars Fought, Uprisings Quelled, Bars Emptied, Revolutions Started, Tigers Tamed, Assassinations Plotted, Women Seduced, Governments Run, Gun Appraisals, Lost Treasure Found.
- Also deal in: Land, Banjos, Nails, Firearms, Manure, Fly Swatters, Used Cars, Whisky, Racing Forms, Rare Antiquities, Lead, Used Keyboard Keys, Good Dogs, Pith Helmets & Zulu Headdresses. .

Attached Files

Paul Pollard posted this 08 December 2016

Yes.

The box says “insert/edit image". There's a box for “source"

''Image description"

"dimensions"

When I copy a photo, then click in the source box, the only choice is “lookup" 

Is there a guide or explanation somewhere? Instructions?

Attached Files

OU812 posted this 08 December 2016

I promised I would try to do a comparison between the 45/45/10 tumble lube vs. LBT Blue Soft lube, but ever since I switched Gas  Check lots and started sizing larger .2265 my grouping has went to hell (2 inch average). I will get the 223 shooting better again soon. Bullet needs a gas check with shorter skirt to work best.

Attached Files

Paul Pollard posted this 12 December 2016

Here are the tumble-lubed bullets ready to shoot. There is no conventional lube at the gas check either.

Attached Files

mtngun posted this 12 December 2016

So you are saying you used tumblelube and only tumblelube on your PPC bullets at nationals?   What is the advantage?  Or was it just an experiment?

Attached Files

OU812 posted this 12 December 2016

Paul, Good picture, but those bullet tips look distorted...looks like you sized or seated gas check base first using a nose punch that did not match. Soft alloy ?

Attached Files

Paul Pollard posted this 12 December 2016

mtngun,

The bullets for the national match were only tumble lubed. The lubing is done after all the other bullet sizing, checking, tapering. I heated the bullets with a heat gun, added a drop of liquid carnauba wax and swirled them around in a butter tub. With the heat, they dry really quick. I don't bother standing them on wax paper or anything. They are dry within one minute. They are dry to the touch and don't collect lint. I've been playing with it for a year or so. It hasn't been reliable with the .30 caliber bullets. Advantage? I don't know, except it's not messy. Shoots about the same in the 6ppc. It's ALL an experiment! Isn't it?

OU812,

The gas checks are seated and partially crimped in a spring-loaded die to keep the gas checks tight against the bullet base. The top punch is filled with soft lead to conform to the bullet nose. It's then sized in a .243 Lyman die and press with a top punch. Then it's tapered in a bump die with a light bump. This press pushes the bullet out with another soft lead top punch and stem. So, I guess it's pretty well mangled by the time it gets all the proper sizing and lots of mishandling. Then they're all thrown in a box until it's time to load them. It should only be a 2 MOA bullet, at best.

Attached Files

• Liked by
  • mtngun
OU812 posted this 25 December 2016

One thing I did notice about tumble lubed bullets is that no fouling shots are required before shooting for group. It usually takes about 2- 3 fouling shots for barrel to settle down using LBT soft Blue lube (from my 223 Remington). I must test the 45-45-10 lube more. 

Attached Files

Scearcy posted this 25 December 2016

Paul is there any trick to getting the soft lead to stay in the top punch.  Mine always seems to fall out.

Attached Files

OU812 posted this 25 December 2016

JB Weld will work in place of lead. Fill punch with JB then let cure around bullets tip. A light film of grease on bullets tip will prevent JB from sticking.

Attached Files

Paul Pollard posted this 26 December 2016

Jim,

Drill a big hole in the end where the bullet nose will go. This is the triangle shape in the diagram. Drill a cross hole to make a “hook” to hold the lead plug in place. A .177 airgun pellet works well for this. The red areas are the steel sections of the punch. The gray areas are the lead plug areas.

Attached Files

Paul Pollard posted this 26 December 2016

Here's a photo of the spring-loaded gas check seater die. When the ram is raised, the spring loaded top punch pushes against the bullet to seat it in the gas check. When the bullet enters the die, the gas check is crimped to .246. The crimp is finished in the .243 Lyman lubesizer die (the red handle to the right). Almost out of the picture is the taper/bump press which tapers the front band and brings the size back up to .244 on the base. The front band is tapered and the nose is sized to .238.

Attached Files

Close