Wanted 6mm mold

• Last Post 2 weeks ago
R. Dupraz posted this 2 weeks ago

Wanted 6MM bullet mold. preferably 80-100 grain, NOE would be good. Depending.

R. PM

Attached Files

Order By: Standard | Newest | Votes
Scearcy posted this 2 weeks ago

R.

I have several 6mm molds. I don't really want to sell any but I can certainly send you a couple hundred sample bullets so you can try a variety before you buy a mold. I have all 3 of the NOE molds plus the RCBS mold. I also have a Lyman mold and an Eagan mold. I would sell either or both of those but you would need to understand why they haven't worked for me before I would sell them to you.

Jim

Attached Files

• Liked by
  • M3 Mitch

Jim 

Check your mail box

R.

Attached Files

BHyett posted this 2 weeks ago

Just a thought, the NOE molds are all flat-nose and that means they will shed velocity at 200 yards. When shooting the Savage Striker in 6mm BR, the effect of wind drift at 200 yards was noticeable.  Heavier bullets are needed for competition. If you are just shooting for fun, then the light bullets work well. 

My choice is the RCBS 243-095-SP, it is the most consistent. The SAECO 85 grain #243 mold actually cast a 93 grain bullet (with gascheck and lube) for me out of monotype or linotype. This bullet shot well at 200 yards. I also have the RCBS 243-100-FN mold, but the nose shape keeps the shank below the neck. 

I need to again experiment with the 6 mm molds, the newer high-speed lubes and harder alloys can help gain accuracy. 

Country boy from Illinois, living in the Magical Pacific Northwest

Attached Files

Thanks for the reply and info. 

The 6mm molds are intended for a TC Contender pistol with a 14" full bull 6mmx223, 8" twist barrel which Match Grade Machine built for me. They chamber it with a gentle leade and long throated with longer heavier  cast bullets in mind, such as the NOE 105 grain as well as others. And more than likely it will never see any organized CBA completion other than the postal matches. 100 yds for now. By the time that I was ready to order the molds that I wanted, NOE was completely sold out. 

Among a number of other reasons why, mostly it is that I enjoy shooting these pistols and wanted to find out just how accurately I could get this combination to shoot with cast .Particularly interested in the performance of that 8" twist.  And not the least of which is the fact that the 6mm seems to be a rare bird in CBA competition, Not to mention attempting to ring out the Contender pistol using cast bullets. Or the 6mmx223 for that matter. If not unheard of, close. . 

After recently receiving the barrel from MGM. I have been using some old Jacketed hunting bullets of various weights for barrel break in. at 50 and 100. The results have been encouraging so far.

R.   

Attached Files

• Liked by
  • M3 Mitch
Close