Who has .40 S&W or 10mm REVOLVERS?

• Last Post 10 July 2018
Ed Harris posted this 24 June 2018

The 40-224H, which is based loosely on Tom's 39-205D bullet for the .41 Long Colt, truncating the nose back to .405" length to as to enlarge the meplat to 0.3", increasing driving band diameters to .402" and the bore-riding nose to 0.400" with nose tolerance negative, so that bullets drop freely into revolver chambers, but are well aligned in transitioning the long cylinder throats into the barrel. I added a 0.03" bevel base to compensate for the nose shortening to bump the weight back up to approximate the 40-220H, and to ease loading. Seating depth is only about 0.3" so that there is minimal intrusion into the powder space.

The .405" nose is too long for .38-40 Colt SAAs or typical 10mm autopistols, but is perfect for Ruger single-actions in the 10mm or .40 S&W. The intent for this  particular bullet is to work up sort of a .40 cal. version of the .41 Long Colt at about 700 fps, starting initially with 3 grains of Bullseye in the .40 S&W revolver and 3.5 grains in the 10x25mm, necked down .44 Russian case, and go from there.   This way I have a bullet of similar weight to 40-220H with a distinctly different profile so that low velocity loads can be identified from high velocity ones by sight.

When the mold arrives in a few weeks I will be looking for a few beta testers with 10mm revolvers to test sample bullets and to report their results back here. If you have one of the new Ruger 10mm/.40 S&W convertible revolvers, or one of the Charter Arms or Taurus .40 S&W snubbies, PM me if you'd like bullets to test when I have received the mold from Tom and have had time to cast a bunch.

73 de KE4SKY In Home Mix We Trust From the Home of Ed's Red in "Almost Heaven" West Virginia

Attached Files

Order By: Standard | Newest | Votes
JeffinNZ posted this 25 June 2018

Looking forward to seeing it loaded Ed.  I like the long bearing surface from bands to nose.

Cheers from New Zealand

Attached Files

sqlbullet posted this 03 July 2018

This looks like the ideal bullet for a 10mm Magnum.

Lots of guys at the 10mm-firearms forum I post at have revolvers.  Any objections if I cross post a link to here?

Attached Files

Ed Harris posted this 03 July 2018

Please go ahead.  Absolutely!

73 de KE4SKY In Home Mix We Trust From the Home of Ed's Red in "Almost Heaven" West Virginia

Attached Files

Ed Harris posted this 10 July 2018

A charge of 3.5 grains of Bullseye in the 10x25 Rimmed with 40-224H fired in the 5" Ruger gave 748 fps, a Standard Deviation of 7 fps with an extreme spread of 23 fps over a 12-shot string, firing a satisfying 2-1/2" group at 25 yards. 

Looks like I have my .41 Long Colt equivalent.

Attached Files

• Liked by
  • JeffinNZ
  • M3 Mitch
Close