100 yd ground hog shoot?

• Last Post 13 June 2018
GWarden posted this 01 June 2018

Tossing this idea out for next year, if there is any  interest in having a 100yd ground hog shoot. To keep it simple, same position for shooting as the 50yd. Any centerfire rifle, cast bullet, any scope. Good chance to use the "chuck rifle" with cast at 100yd. I sure would be willing to help with such a match. Just checking to see if there is enough interest to move forward with this.

Bob

Iowa

Attached Files

Order By: Standard | Newest | Votes
Ken Campbell Iowa posted this 01 June 2018

hi gwarden ... this pretty close to what a lot of guys are thinking would be good ... since we have a little time, how about expanding on ::

any scope ?        ? one sight class or still irons and scopes scored separately ?

allow gas checks?

.... and yeah, i gotta admit that groundhog target is a grin to shoot at ... my groundhog keeps jumping around just as i shoot ... heh ..

ken

Attached Files

delmarskid posted this 01 June 2018

I think the use of field positions is what makes the groundhog target interesting.

Attached Files

Ken

Any power scope would be allowed, we can also go with IS if there is interest, allow gas checks. Just want to make it as easy for all that have an interest in shooting this venue. Again, great chance to use our CF rifles for a challenging match. I agree, how in the world does that ground hog target know when we are getting ready to shoot at it, until I get into position to shoot that target just stands there perfectly still. When I get ready to shoot that darn thing is jumping around like a turpentined cat.

It sure is hard for this body to get down in the prone position, wasn't hard 40 years ago, surely has nothing to do with age does it?  Again, would be glad to help out with this shoot, be glad to do the scoring and compiling results. Have a great day.

Bob

Iowa

Attached Files

delmarskid

I agree, field position makes it much more challenging and interesting. 

Bob

Attached Files

longhunter posted this 01 June 2018

To all,

Field position, yes.

Offhand yes as a seperate class.

Any sight any power, yes  maybe a 3x9 power on scopes.  I think 3x9 is the most common in use.

Different class for scope and iron yes.

Gas checks, ?? not sure. Not to easy to find molds that are not G.C.

I to will help in anyway you might need.

My 2 cents.

Jon

Jon Welda CW5 USA Ret.

Attached Files

GWarden posted this 02 June 2018

My idea of allowing any scope power or IS, GC or plain base bullets: The big factor in this 100 yd. shoot is using only field position, not shooting from a bench. As soon as we start making limits it might eliminate some shooters. I can think of some of the older single shot varmint rifles that fellas have 12 power and up on their rifles, such as  the older Lyman STS or Fecker of Unertl scopes.

Bob

Attached Files

Ken Campbell Iowa posted this 02 June 2018

... just a comment on any power scope .... i think that from true field positions once you have 2 or 3 power, the extra magnification does little or nothing for your score on paper targets with a well defined bullseye .

for hunting, the higher power can be used to better find the target in shadows or between tree branches .....

so yes i am in favor of any scope  power, especially if it brings in some neat old 219 Wasp with a 12 power Litchert .

ken

Attached Files

• Liked by
  • delmarskid
Dukem posted this 08 June 2018

The pain in the patootie for the current GH match is having to remove my 6X scope from my scoped military rifle to install the 4X, then change it back to the 6X.

Duke

Attached Files

Scearcy posted this 08 June 2018

The 6X allows one to see the scoring circles on the groundhogs chest. I can't see the circles with a 4X. If we actually do a 100 yard match in addition to the 50 yd, I would be in favor of standardizing any requirement that we can.

I am going to go to the range and shoot some 100 yd groundhogs one of these days. I am thinking that field positions at 100 yds are going to be very challenging. 

Jim

Attached Files

GWarden posted this 08 June 2018

Duke

For the very reason you mention, having to change scopes for a specific match. My idea of allowing any power scope allows us to use what we have on a rifle without having to change scopes.

Bob

Attached Files

• Liked by
  • Dukem
  • Redleged
Ken Campbell Iowa posted this 08 June 2018

thanks for the discussion guys ... we are actually listening ... heh ...

ken

Attached Files

loophole posted this 08 June 2018

I'm in if we are shooting 100 yds.  I vote for gas checks and any scope.  My groundhog rifles are a 218 bee and a 223.  I've no use for pb loads in those rifles.  Any possibility of doing something this year?

Steve K 

Attached Files

PB 22 cal bullets might be challenging at 100 yards for sure. Perhaps allowing GC but showing the results divided between PB and GC makes the most sense? Several of the "older rifle" guys may prefer to just continue on with PB. My intention would be to shoot PB I think.

Again in general we do not want to discourage anyone from playing with their favorite gear.

Jim

Attached Files

Ken and I have been a bit evasive about doing another shoot this year. Ken still has a few busy days ahead of him getting the 50 yd results pulled together. Also we HAVE noted the names of some volunteers. There is still plenty of time to do a shoot this fall and I can tell you for sure that Ken and I are discussing everyones suggestions as they come in. 

Jim

Attached Files

GWarden posted this 08 June 2018

Steve

I would be up to doing the scoring and compiling the results for the shoot if we could get something going this year.

Bob

Attached Files

Scearcy posted this 09 June 2018

OK then I think it is a go. Bob - PM sent.

Ken is seeking ways to do multiple rifles more cheaply. The most costly items are the targets. They cost $.50 each if I order 50 and $.40 each is I order 100. Mailing the targets is surprisingly expensive too. We will do a post on just targets later today.

The other place we can save money is by eliminating mailing forms and results. Again postage, envelopes and printing add expense.

SO MY FIRST QUESTION IS WOULD IT BE OK WITH EVERYONE IF WE DID VIRTUALLY ALL COMMUNICATION BY EMAIL? The goal would be that the only mail we would sent would be the targets.

Jim

Attached Files

• Liked by
  • Redleged
Redleged posted this 09 June 2018

Jim,

I think you/we could save money by just providing two targets for each rifle registered...one record and one practice. I'd wager most of us sight in on a regular target, then use the practice GH target to get a feel for the sight picture. You can also use pasties on the practice target instead of posting a new target each time.

To your question regarding email...I wholeheartedly agree to do everything else by email. In this day and age, there's no reason for anyone to have to print forms and use snail mail to go back and forth (maybe with the exception of sending a check to register.) Let's face it, if the members who want to participate are reading this forum, they have a means to read/respond to email.

BTW, I think your suggestion a few posts above regarding PB/GC is a good one; separate them into classes (just like scopes & IS.) I'd also allow any scope, so guys like me who have a 6-18X on my 1885 don't have to change it for one shoot. If you think the GH jumps around with 4X, try a 6X and watch him dance!  Ed

Growing old is mandatory, growing up, however, is totally optional!

Attached Files

• Liked by
  • delmarskid
Scearcy posted this 09 June 2018

Ed

You are on target. It will be any power scope as suggested by many. The option of providing fewer targets was where Ken and I were going to go with the next post. You are ahead of us. It is useful to think about the targets as almost $1 @ by the time they are in the shooters hands.

Jim

Attached Files

• Liked by
  • delmarskid
GWarden posted this 10 June 2018

Jim

Agree, doing all communication by email.

Bob

Attached Files

• Liked by
  • delmarskid
4060may posted this 10 June 2018

would it be possible to come up with a target we could print on a personal printer

maybe 4 sections taped together, take a picture and submit it, we did it a similar way when Pat Iffland was running the muzzleloader shoot

if you put a colored paper behind the target the holes show with distinction

Attached Files

Show More Posts
Close