Glued on scope mount

• 6.5K Views
  • Last Post 28 April 2016
biddulph posted this 14 October 2013

Hello dear readers

My gunsmith decided to glue my windage adjustable scope mount down and I found this out when I tried to take it off so as to fit a Picatany scope mount to take a scope with a bigger objective.

I think the glue is aryldite...

Any ideas? Seems Rick solid. Heat?

Cheers

James

Attached Files

Order By: Standard | Newest | Votes
RicinYakima posted this 14 October 2013

Most two part epoxy decomposes at about 360 F., so try a soldering iron. HTH< Ric

Attached Files

delmarskid1 posted this 14 October 2013

I have heard of people putting the rifle in a deep freezer then popping things off with a hammer and punch. Good luck. Acetone softens epoxy and most plastics.

Attached Files

Little Debbie posted this 14 October 2013

I'd try freezing it first, the differing contraction ratios might allow you to pop it off with a plastic hammer. Plan B is heating the base with a propane torch. Keep the torch moving, have some thing to grab the base with like pliers, give it a tug frequently, it will come off pretty quick.

Attached Files

argie1891 posted this 15 October 2013

if I was going to freeze it I would buy some dry ice, I think it would be cold enough to make the epoxy brittle. then I would use heat and take it off. argie1891

if you think you have it figured out then you just dont understand

Attached Files

robroy posted this 16 October 2013

The freezer thing works realy well.

Attached Files

RicinYakima posted this 16 October 2013

So, tell us how it worked out!!!! We want to know what you did and what first!

Attached Files

Ken Campbell Iowa posted this 17 October 2013

after freeze/heat use a metallic rod to give the mount a whack ...transfers shock better than a wooden peg . i use brass or aluminum to keep from scratching the blueing.

some hair dryers have enough heat. 250^ F makes spit sizzle ... then you are getting there ...

ken

Attached Files

6mmintl posted this 11 February 2014

He did not use screws? Bedding a mount with epoxy is becoming common (with screws also) but usually you rough up the mount base (to adhere the epoxy to) and wax the receiver so the epoxy does not stick to the receiver

Attached Files

4570sharps posted this 10 August 2014

I think I'd use a different gunsmith!

Attached Files

Goatwhiskers posted this 24 December 2014

I once made a mount for a special application and glued it on with Brownells AcraGlas Gel to be sure I'd done everything right. Intentions were to solder it on. Thought I'd never get the epoxy to release. Considered leaving it as is, but it probably would have come off at a most inopportune time. Went ahead and cleaned it up and soldered it in place. GW

Attached Files

Pentz posted this 25 December 2014

OK, Guys. How about gluing/epoxying a scope mount to a .310 Cadet BSA? Mine is original so D&T is out, and it is not D&Td for the micrometer rear. Can the epoxy truly be removed without visual effect to the barrel?  A person over on http://britishmilitariaforums.yuku.com/topic/10046/Scout-scoping-a-Martini-Cadetmilled>http://britishmilitariaforums.yuku.com/topic/10046/Scout-scoping-a-Martini-Cadet milled this one but I have no way of doing so.

Attached Files

Ken Campbell Iowa posted this 26 December 2014

yep i have epoxied several bases to rifles i didn't want to drill. i even glued a weaver k10 to my standard auto one time ...use as much area as possible ( such as one-piece weaver mount. )   use slow epoxy, not 5 minute. marine-tex, devcon, sig hobby shop .. sets up in 1 hr., but let it cure 3 days . i wouldn't trust this for survival or expensive hunting trip, but just for fun shooting.

when removal time, just chip off with light but sharp ..shocking ... blows with a square edged brass or aluminum bar. doesn't mar the blueing. well, yet anyway.

edit:  also you can tack on a mount then try for alignment before drilling.

ken

Attached Files

4570sharps posted this 28 April 2016

Try another gunsmith!

Attached Files

Close