Bevel-Based .30s

• 7.4K Views
  • Last Post 21 March 2016
Ed Harris posted this 01 November 2013

I had Erik Ohlen modify two NEI molds for me which had seen better days and needed new sprue plates because the Martin Hardcoat had worn off the original ones and I was having trouble getting good bases.

Erik made new steel sprue plates and installed new sprue plate pivots and studs. My original NEI #63 7.62x39 bullet had begin to leave flashing on the bases, which required using an outside deburring tool to chamfer bases to press on gaschecks and had become a real pain to use.

Since I recently obtained several new replacement sets of blocks from JT at Heavy Metal Molds for GC bullets of my design, I sent my old NEI mold to Erik for “salvage” and we decided to reface the old blocks and convert it to plainbase as a dedicated “subsonic gallery” bullet. Instead of simply reaming the GC heel to make a wide base band, I asked Erik to blend the rear band into the GC heel, making a bevel base with 8 degree angle. He took another NEI #82 mold with botched, oversized GC heel and salvaged it the same way.

With 6 grains of Bullseye in the .30-'06 the 160-grain bullet gives 1087 fps. and shoots well in initial trials. The 130-grain NEI #82 always shot well without the GC, and to be completely honest, I never in the entire time I had the mold loaded any with the GC put on, so doing the bevel-base mod on this seemed the right thing to do. This is my “heavy” bullet for the .32 S&W Long Rook rifle, but has also done well in the .303 British, .30-40 Krag and '06 with 5 grains of Bullseye.

Next step to load a bunch of 160-grain NEI #63BB with 6 grains of Bullseye to try in a half dozen Springfields.

Stay tuned!

73 de KE4SKY In Home Mix We Trust From the Home of Ed's Red in "Almost Heaven" West Virginia

Attached Files

Order By: Standard | Newest | Votes
CB posted this 03 November 2013

Looks good Ed. I also had to 'taper' off whiskers on my 32-20 cb, the Lee bullet. I went further than needed and deliberately cut tapers on the bases. Those bullets shot quite a bit better accuracy wise. I believe an oversized plain bullet gets too much fins on the bases after it has squeezed down to bore size, and more than likely, not concentric to the base.

Your bullets have more of a boatail design, but should feather out the finning as the cb squeezes down to bore size. Good idea, hope they work out...Dan

Attached Files

frnkeore posted this 18 December 2013

Ed, Do you have a update on your bevel based bullet? It does sound interesting for subsonic loads.

Frank

Attached Files

Ed Harris posted this 18 December 2013

Cold, snowy weather hasn't cooperated. They shoot well at 100 yards in the '03s, in the 2-inch range for ten-shot groups, as good as the GC loads.  Have not shot enough to determine with if they are any better than the original bullet loaded without the GC, but they are certainly as good, and they cast and load easy. I have been unable to try them at 200 yards yet, but will do so when the weather breaks.

73 de KE4SKY In Home Mix We Trust From the Home of Ed's Red in "Almost Heaven" West Virginia

Attached Files

mckg posted this 11 April 2014

btt :)

Attached Files

Ed Harris posted this 11 April 2014

6 grains of Bullseye in .30-'06, as-cast, unsized, tumbled in Lee Liquid Alox, ran through Winchester 54, and three different Springfields, best rifles were 2” or so for series of five TEN-shot groups at 100 yards, with Lyman 48 rear and 17A aperture front. None of the rifles were worse than 2-1/2” for TEN-shot groups.

Attached Files

TRKakaCatWhisperer posted this 12 April 2014

Hmmmm.  Is the diameter at the base approximately bore diameter?  

Attached Files

Ed Harris posted this 12 April 2014

Base is .313, bands .312, nose ahead of crimp groove .308, nose tapers to .303 over 0.3 distance.

Attached Files

tomon posted this 02 May 2014

Thank you!  :dude: I just read post #1 and it told me what could be wrong with my bullets! Years ago I received a box of 500 311316 .309 cast bullets as partial payment for lead I had removed tearing out an x-Ray room.  The caster had lubed them, but didn't Gas Check them.  As my first try at installing gas checks, I bought Lee's lube and size kit in .309.  About 50% of the first twenty five, the gas checks wouldn't go on right.  I even tried another brand of gas check!  The bases on at least half of them are too large for the check. After reading your informative post, I suspect a worn out mould sprue plate as the bases on some are too large and not completely round.  That, or he pushed them through the sizer while still too warm?  In any event, I thought I had two options......Shoot them without checking them, or having someone melt them down and start again.  The newest  question is...Do I want to hand bevel 500 bullets which I have no idea whether they will shoot well or not!  They are fairly hard, as I can't cut them with my thumbnail.  Thank you in advance for the info!  

Attached Files

billglaze posted this 03 May 2014

Ed, your posting is of extreme interest.
Recently, as an exercise after looking at some Match results with PBB, I decided, on a whim, to leave the gas checks off of some Lyman 311299 bullets, and also some 311413 (many years old design, it took me forever to get the moulds on ebay) and was surprised at the accuracy; consistently

In theory, there's no difference between theory and practice. In practice, there is. My fate is not entirely in Gods hands, if I have a weapon in mine.

Attached Files

billglaze posted this 03 May 2014

The last posting got cut-off; don't know why. I tried to state that I have been getting 10 shot 100 yd. groups of <2” consistently, and I'm loading another batch for trial to see if it's really that food, and repeatable, or if it's just a statistical anomaly. Also, I've been trying Large Pistol primers, and they just migh bvge working better than LRP; still working on that one. Bill

In theory, there's no difference between theory and practice. In practice, there is. My fate is not entirely in Gods hands, if I have a weapon in mine.

Attached Files

Ed Harris posted this 03 May 2014

Two-inch, ten-shot groups with the 03s, Winchester Model 54s and 70s, and sporterized Mausers, US Enfields, etc. are the benchmark we seek in our loads. With Bullseye we haven't seen zny advantage in using pistol primers in the '06. If anything standard rifle primers have a slight edge.

Attached Files

mckg posted this 08 June 2015

Ed, any more testing on these designs?

Attached Files

Ed Harris posted this 08 June 2015

I've been distracted with hot-wet weather and other projects, mainly .44-40 stuff. Plan to get back into the .30 cal. plainbase in the fall when we are out of hot weather and laser surgery has tweaked scar tissue in my right eye, so that I can do precision work with iron sights again.

Attached Files

mckg posted this 09 June 2015

Best of luck with the surgery Ed.

Attached Files

Ed Harris posted this 10 June 2015

Thanks. The eye gets zapped on Monday 15 June

Attached Files

Ed Harris posted this 31 July 2015

Can see iron sights like a 20 year-old again.

Heat and humidity has been oppressive, and not ideal for serious load testing with the sweat running in your eyes, but when cooler weather arrives I am ready!

Attached Files

Ed Harris posted this 21 March 2016

At various times, casual shooting, 6 grains of Bullseyebin '06 with various 130-170grain bullets, GC withour GC and recut bevel base, 2 moa 5-shot groups have been the norm with iro sights in Winchester 54, 70, the 3 Springfield and Mauser sporters..

Attached Files

Ken Campbell Iowa posted this 21 March 2016

so that classic sporter deer rifle match here might be for plainbase bullets .... seated in the brass, of course ... ??

ken the cheep-skate

Attached Files

Close