Mold Suggestion for 257 Roberts

• 11K Views
  • Last Post 12 December 2013
olderndirt posted this 24 November 2013

I just got a new toy, 257 Roberts to play with. Looking for light 75 to heavy 120 grain bullet weight to use for target, rabbit size game with reduced loads. 120 grains for deer hunting out to 200 yards. I have a 25-06 for longer range with J bullets.

Attached Files

Order By: Standard | Newest | Votes
onondaga posted this 24 November 2013

http://www.castbulletassoc.org/view_user.php?id=6503>olderndirt

Accurate molds does not offer 25 cal, Lee does not offer 25 cal. Lyman currently offers one choice in 25 cal: http://www.lymanproducts.com/lyman/bullet-casting/mould-details-rifles.php?entryID=39>http://www.lymanproducts.com/lyman/bullet-casting/mould-details-rifles.php?entryID=39

The difficulty factor in casting small bullets and low demand for 25 cal. has had a serious effect on molds in 25 cal. I hope your search goes well. Previously owned molds in this caliber are around but there is little current new production.

A 120 gr .257 cast bullet at 2200 fps muzzle velocity is about top velocity for cast bullets . Higher will require very diligent effort for small gains with accuracy generally falling abruptly off past 2200 fps with even the best fitting cast bullets . That 2200 fps  load with a 120 gr cast bullet has  1,000 foot pounds at 80 yards. That will kill deer at 80 yards but is not hopeful at all at 200 yards for deer. You could do better with a rock. If you are really interested in humanely harvesting deer at 200 yards with cast bullets, consider 30 caliber or larger. My pet load in 30-06 with cast bullets delivers 1,000 foot pounds at 200 yards and my 1903A3 shoots well enough to hit them also. I use the Lee 185 gr RNGC at 2100 fps. That is a safely marginal 200 yard deer load for humane harvest at 200 yards. http://s30.photobucket.com/user/rhymeswithwhat/media/PB240046_zps3f89d7cc.jpg.html>

Attached Files

Muskrat Mike posted this 24 November 2013

RCBS still makes the 85gr  25-85-CM mould and the 257-120-SP and Midway has them in stock.

Mike B.

Muskrat Mike

Attached Files

R. Dupraz posted this 24 November 2013

olderndirt:

I have a Rem. .257 that shoots the 257-120-SP very well with a dose of IMR 4227.

I don't know where the inference that casting .257 bullets is difficult comes from. They are no more trouble to cast, including a 90 grn .257, than any other mold that I have. On up to heavy, long .45's

RD

Attached Files

Michael K posted this 24 November 2013

Hi O.

Ditto on with RD and the RCBS 25-120-SP. 18-21grs of AA5744 running 1650-1850fps has performed well for me in the 25-06. Casting is a breeze and 1.5” or better 5 shot groups with WWs at 100yds is common place. 18grs being more consistent accuracy wise. I also picked up RCBS 25-100-FN, and what few loads I have shot with it, well, let's put it this way, .25 cal. CBs shouldn't shoot that good.

Michael

Attached Files

onondaga posted this 24 November 2013

http://www.castbulletassoc.org/view_user.php?id=82>R. Dupraz

I don't have difficulty casting 25 caliber or 22 either but I believe the complaints from customers to mold makers drove the 25 to the near extinction it has now. The thermodynamics of casting into a small cavity in the same size mold blocks  as 30 or 45 cal bullet molds does take more attention to basics than many newbies to casting can muster;  especially when the newbie expects excellent castings to be easy and expects the same ease from mold to mold and caliber to caliber. When they fail, they rarely blame themselves and lash out at the manufacturers. Then the molds with the most complaints begin to go out of production.....Economics 101 comes into play.

The 25s are also zipping fast loads with jacketed bullets that vaporize the vitals of deer size game at great distances and cast bullets are a great way off from those velocities and killing power if you want accuracy.

Gary

Attached Files

Ken Campbell Iowa posted this 25 November 2013

i have a nice nei 2 cav. alum. , 60 and 75 gr. $65 including shipping. email, my pm doesn't work. [email protected]

ken

Attached Files

delmarskid1 posted this 25 November 2013

LBT carries a good looking .25 mold.

Attached Files

grouch posted this 25 November 2013

My 257 really likes Cast Bullet Engineering's .25790 with 10gr H110for an offhand load at 100yds, has also done o.k. at somewhat higher velocities with slower powders. I've pushed it to +/- 2500fps without leading, but accuracy had fallen off considerably. Grouch

Attached Files

olderndirt posted this 25 November 2013

Gary, I have not put the numbers to the 257, but if it is that low, I will use it for rabbits and coyotes at 100 yards and beyond. I have 30, 35, 41 and 44 calibers to use for deer also. I was looking for suggestions on where to start playing. Thanks for all replies to post. Ken sending an e-mail to you. Again thanks to all.

Attached Files

R. Dupraz posted this 25 November 2013

Onondaga:

By your reply, it's obvious to me at least that you don't know much about the .257R let alone the 25's in general. Or casting 25 cal. Bullets for that matter.

One of my sons and I have used both the .257R and 25-06 while hunting out here in the west. With jacketed of course. The .257R deffinately is not a vitals vaporizing round. And that is one of it's advantages. The Ranges are a little longer than 50 Yds though. It is a fine accurate medium game caliber with cast or jacketed, when used within it's capabilities.

But mostly, among other things, I take issue with your statement categorizing ” many newbies,” as you call them, as being incapable of attention to the basics and of casting the bullets. These are just shooters who express a desire to learn how to cast for themselves. We all started somewhere, even you!

RD

Attached Files

Michael K posted this 25 November 2013

Shooters that are new to casting need to be supported, encouraged and allowed to learn through experience, both their own and ours. 99% of what is shared here is not a matter of life and death, therefore, it is the relationships that are of the greatest importance, not always being right.

So what if their expectations may be a little high, as if experienced shooters are never guilty of that. For every note worthy success, I have dozens of load combinations, ideas, experiments, etc. that range from so-so well into category titled “really s**k". Most recently I plated the barrel of my .308 trying to hit 2400fps with heat treated bullets. I learned something but most of all, had fun doing it, and not afraid to admit the experience and outcome.

Support, encouragement, gentle polite guidance, and most of all-- PATIENCE, will help ensure “newbies” are not transformed into “goners".

Michael

Attached Files

norm posted this 25 November 2013

For those who did not know Lyman listed two different formula for No 2 metal. My Ideal hand book No 39 copyright 1953 lists No 2 as 10 parts lead,1 part tin,1 part antimony. Lyman 45 copyright 1970 lists No 2 as 90 parts lead, 5 parts tin and 5 parts antimony. Two different alloys.

Attached Files

onondaga posted this 26 November 2013

http://www.castbulletassoc.org/view_user.php?id=82>R. Dupraz

I have a lot of experience with cast  and jacketed in 25-06. The load I cited with humane killing performance at 80 yards using cast agrees substantially with your 50 yard conclusion with cast bullets in 25 cal.. The years I hunted using 25-06 with jacketed bullets were with the 2 heaviest Sierra .257 bullets at that time, I used the 117 gr Spitzer Boat Tail and the 120 gr Hollow Point Boat Tail. Both of these were loaded to just over 3,000 fps and both were very explosive killers on deer at any range I shot to 300  yards. Broadside vital hits vaporized both lungs and heart reliably into blood pudding.

I am not ripping new casters in general as being clueless I am ripping  the small percentage of clueless complainers  that  are responsible for effecting mold availability in 22 and 25 cal. from Lee in particular that has stopped producing those sizes all together.

Gary

Attached Files

olderndirt posted this 26 November 2013

I did not mean to start a bashing contest. I only stated I had a new toy. I cast and shot many calibers from 22 in 233 single shot and bolt actions thru 35 Remington in rifles. I do the same in pistols from 9mm - 38 Super, 41 Mag and 44 Mag, I even shoot 41 and 44 in lever rifles. I was just looking for suggestions on where to start with a new round. If and when I find a round that shoots like I want then I figure out range and if it will make a good hunting round. I play first then I consider it for adding to my hunting collection. I lucked into about 1200 pounds of lead wheel weights that were new in boxes from a friend that has a automotive supply company. No customers wanted the lead anymore. I bought it and hauled it off for $200.00 and just looking for new areas to play. Again thanks for the suggestions!

Attached Files

R. Dupraz posted this 26 November 2013

Well, apparently, none of those “clueless complainers” used Lyman, Saeco, RCBS or NOE molds. Because they all still list .25 cal. molds. Lee is not the only choice.

Publically labeling others in a negative manner does nothing to further the CBA and this forum. It only reflects on the labeler.

This is not exactly on topic here but it has been well documented within the shooting world that the real decline of the .257R was caused by the introduction of the 6mm's ie..243 and 6mm Rem. And not by the lack of bullet molds caused by “clueless casters".

In manufacturing and marketing, it's all about numbers. So it stands to reason that the low demand for an item causes it to be discontinued, no matter the reason.

RD

Attached Files

olderndirt:

No bashing here at all. It's just when I see something that I disagree with, I have to speak out.

Hope you got some info that was helpful to your project. I enjoy shooting my .257R very much with both cast and jacketed. Good luck.

RD

Attached Files

onondaga posted this 26 November 2013

http://www.castbulletassoc.org/view_user.php?id=82>R. Dupraz: "No bashing here at all.” Baloney, you are bashing me.

Lee is the least expensive choice and that is pivotal to newbies also. The higher price mold owners comprise generally more experienced successful casters that actually complain less as they generally know better. The $19.99 Lee molds perform excellently for me and I have no complaints to Lee at all. This is most likely because I've been successful at casting since 1957 and have been able to correct any flaw or problem with any of my many molds on my own without prejudice.

Ignoring that some casters expect $19.99 Lee molds to behave like custom molds over $100.00 is not well informed at all either. Lee marketing is brilliant in my opinion and I still maintain Lee's decision on 22 and 25 cal molds has zero to do with demand.

The abusive complaints about Lee molds on this forum and others says more about the complainers than the products. I have no difficulty turning that right back at the casters responsible for the loss of 22 and 25 cal. molds from Lee. I also have no hesitation helping casters get started or helping them troubleshoot difficulties to the best of my experience. The casters that actively demean Lee and insult Lee products readily identify themselves as clueless. I don't favor or support them or the innocence they prefer to portray at all. They have hurt an industry and hobby I support wholeheartedly.

Gary

Attached Files

Have a Happy Thanksgiving

I remain

R. Dupraz

“The Basher":D

Attached Files

Paul Pollard posted this 26 November 2013

olderndirt wrote: I just got a new toy, 257 Roberts to play with. Looking for light 75 to heavy 120 grain bullet weight to use for target, rabbit size game with reduced loads. 120 grains for deer hunting out to 200 yards. I have a 25-06 for longer range with J bullets.

Olderndirt,

If you are interested in trying some Lyman 257420 bullets, I can send them to you. There are several hundred, unsized at .259. They have a BHN of 15 and weigh about 70 grains. You will need to add gas checks if you want to and size them to fit (if needed).

I really don't know the alloy pedigree, but it would be a good place to start with your rifle at little cost. Send me a Personal Message with your address, and I'll try to send them out after Thanksgiving. No charge.

Paul

Attached Files

Duane Mellenbruch posted this 26 November 2013

I see that MidSouth still has the Lee 22 Bator mold listed in their catalog.  They are out of stock, but most molds are.  Did Lee decide to drop that mold and not bother to tell MidSouth? 

I am not aware of Lee ever offering a 25 caliber mold, but I certainly am not an authority on that either.  It may have been a special order run like the 22 Bator.   Duane

Attached Files

Show More Posts
Close