lightweight bullet in a rifle

• 5.5K Views
  • Last Post 11 January 2014
adrians posted this 26 November 2013

Good morning folks, Last night I was looking through my mould box and came across an Ideal 32362 mould ( I forgot I had), it weighs in at a whopping 83gns obviously a handgun bullet but,, I was thinking maybe shooting some of these through a couple of .318 kar88's I have.

Could be a lot of fun, plinking , ect.

Just wondering if I would be wasting my time, watcha think ?

Attached Files

Order By: Standard | Newest | Votes
grouch posted this 26 November 2013

Trying a different mold is rarely a waste of time, especially if there is a logical use for it; I''d try it! Grouch

Attached Files

norm posted this 26 November 2013

32362 is for the 32-44 S&W target revolver according to my copy of the Lyman cast bullet hand book 1st edition from about 1957

Attached Files

Tom Acheson posted this 26 November 2013

One of our local CBA match shooters lent me a bullet mould that I didn't know RCBS had made at one time. It is 30-130 SIL. My info said they made the ever popular 30-165 SIL, the 30-180 SIL and the 30-200 SIL. I made a bunch of the 130's and will try them in a pistol but boy your mould sure is a lightweight one for a rifle. Will be interesting to learn how your experiment works out!

Tom

Attached Files

CB posted this 26 November 2013

By all means, try it! I used to shoot 32 cal. pistol bullets through my Israeli Mauser all the time.

I don't suppose you have pics of the outside of the rt block half, do you?

Forgive me, I'm researching Ideal mold markings.

Attached Files

RicinYakima posted this 26 November 2013

I shot lots of short for caliber bullets in rifles and they do well up to about 50 yards. Luckily you have a Mauser with claw extractor that will stop the case from sinking into the chamber, but still I use the same cases for galley loads. I de-prime, re-prime by hand with a punch and Old Style Lee primer seater and seat the biggest bullet that will go into the neck by hand. Bullseye, Unique, PB or WW231 all work well as long as you tip the barrel up to get the powder down towards the back of the case. (I carry the rifle at port arms in the field and don't have problems.) You want to keep it sub-sonic at about 1000 f/s. Rear sight set for about 600 yards will get you on target at 50 yards. HTH, Ric

Attached Files

mike morrison posted this 26 November 2013

got some 90gr .360 bullets. was told they would not shoot in a 357 rifle as they were too short. tried them anyway in 38 cases and shot them in 1873 repo. have shot them to 150yds can hit a 12x18 steel plate at that range using a rest. give it a try. you may be surprised. m

Attached Files

anachronism wrote: By all means, try it! I used to shoot 32 cal. pistol bullets through my Israeli Mauser all the time.

I don't suppose you have pics of the outside of the rt block half, do you?

Forgive me, I'm researching Ideal mold markings.

You bet, give me a minute,,, or so,,:D

Attached Files

anachronism ,here ya go.

I am just about to cast some up ...:D

Attached Files

jhalcott posted this 26 November 2013

Grand dad used to load some round SHOT in a 30 caliber rifle for us kids to shoot. We'd hit tin cans at 25 or 50 yards off a rest. I've made “cat sneeze” loads with various bullets in the .280 and 30-06 for grins. Grand dads loads were about as powerfull as a modern air rifle

Attached Files

Just came back in from casting a handful of these babies, I think i'll go ahead and size a few to .321 and leave a few as cast, then as Ric said thumb seat with around 3 or so gns bulls eye or 231 and see what happens.

I'll be bringing my target back to 50 tomorrow and hopefully the fun shall commence by golly...

here they are naked :shock:

Attached Files

CB posted this 26 November 2013

Things of beauty! Thanks for the pic! I really appreciate it.

Attached Files

RicinYakima posted this 26 November 2013

Those are really nice! Maybe for the 8MM Nambu pistol?

Attached Files

Ed Harris posted this 26 November 2013

I have used the RCBS 8mm Nambu pistol bullet and the .310-120 Cadet heeled bullet in the 7.9x57 Mauser with good results using charges around 4.5 to 5.0 grs. of Bullseye.

The Cadet heeled bullet is particularly good in military. 303 British rifles having large throats, with 4.5 grains of Bullseye. It also works well in the. 32 Winchester Special and most. 32-40s eith the same charge, or with 5 grains in the 7.62x54R M91/30 rifles, if you have one with a large throat.

If you shoot milsurps, that is a mold you should have!

73 de KE4SKY In Home Mix We Trust From the Home of Ed's Red in "Almost Heaven" West Virginia

Attached Files

adrians posted this 27 November 2013

thanks guy's , Ed is my 3gn of bulls a little too low or should I not worry and load up from there a little at a time, you mention 5gn or so.

Attached Files

Ed Harris posted this 27 November 2013

adrians wrote: thanks guy's , Ed is my 3gn of bulls a little too low or should I not worry and load up from there a little at a time, you mention 5gn or so.

Try 3 grains and see how it does.....

If it gets out of the barrel every time, it's a good load!

The 4.5 grain load is about 950 fps, 5 grains about 1050.

73 de KE4SKY In Home Mix We Trust From the Home of Ed's Red in "Almost Heaven" West Virginia

Attached Files

adrians posted this 27 November 2013

Thanks Ed ,, your a gent,.

Attached Files

Muddy 22 posted this 11 January 2014

Boy I wish I had that mold this weekend (except during the Seahawks win!) as I am learning to load my cadet in 32 Win Spcl. I have been using the RCBS cadet mold w/6 gr. Bullseye and large pistol promers as well as a Rapine 325155 mold for the 32 Ideal @145 grs. with 4759. It shoots about 1.5” at 50 yds (now that I glued some blocks on the bbl. and put a 2.5x Weaver on it. Am range officer on Sun. and will shoot a bunch at 100 w/those and some Blue dot to see anyway enjoy that mold-Muddy

Attached Files

Close