Different bullets - same number

• 2.6K Views
  • Last Post 07 December 2013
Ervin posted this 30 November 2013

Two moulds I recently purchased on ebay with the same number. Lots of Lyman pubs show the round nose but have yet to find the flat nose. Still looking. Any comments appreciated.

Attached Files

Order By: Standard | Newest | Votes
TRKakaCatWhisperer posted this 30 November 2013

The key word is “ebay".

I have two 457124 moulds - they look VERY similar. One measures .458 or so as-cast and the other measures .498 or so as-cast.

Obviously one has been bored out by a previous owner.

Attached Files

Little Debbie posted this 30 November 2013

Did you buy those on ebay too?:P

Attached Files

TRKakaCatWhisperer posted this 30 November 2013

Little Debbie wrote: Did you buy those on ebay too?:P

yup.

Attached Files

Ervin posted this 01 December 2013

Forgot to mention that the flat nose is an Ideal mold. Both have vent lines. Will post actual photos later after noon. Thanks for your comments.

Attached Files

RicinYakima posted this 01 December 2013

Ervin,

Not that these would have been the first Ideal moulds modified to someone else's ideas. I have done a few myself with a “D” cutter on a shank that is the size of the lube grooves. Now with hobby CNC machines, it is easy.

Ric

Attached Files

Ervin posted this 01 December 2013

Thanks Ric. I agree that it could have been modified. If so, it is not obvious and my hat's off to the machinist who did it.

Attached Files

TRKakaCatWhisperer posted this 01 December 2013

and the two 457124's:

Attached Files

RicinYakima posted this 02 December 2013

Ervin, As Ideal's standard 32 ACP bullet, I can find no other shape than the RN for that number back to when Lyman started using separate mould blocks. Your FN blocks were made between about 1928 and 1942.

TRK, Your small cavity is also from pre-WWII for a 405 grain bullet from 2.5% tin and 97.5% lead. The very late mould 457124 is could be made to make 405 grains from Lyman #2 alloy, less dense than the original bullets.

IMHO, Ric

Attached Files

TRKakaCatWhisperer posted this 02 December 2013

That's where the Ideal mould started - it's been bored to 50 cal- !

Attached Files

badgeredd posted this 07 December 2013

When I go to the beyond, someone is gonna have fun figuring out some molds. I've modded at least 10 to try an idea out. Some have been changed on the outside to reflect this, but some haven't.

Edd

Attached Files

TRKakaCatWhisperer posted this 07 December 2013

badgeredd wrote: When I go to the beyond, someone is gonna have fun figuring out some molds. I've modded at least 10 to try an idea out. Some have been changed on the outside to reflect this, but some haven't.

Edd

Mark them as CUSTOM - they'll get more on ebay.

Attached Files

RicinYakima posted this 07 December 2013

With your name also, as an artist isn't appreciated until they are dead! Ric

Attached Files

Vassal posted this 07 December 2013

Wish I had that modified WFN 32 mold,,,

Attached Files

Close