most used cast bullet and caliber for game

• 19K Views
  • Last Post 12 March 2015
jhalcott posted this 14 December 2013

Just wondering IF the .30 caliber is the most often used caliber or if a different one is the favorite!

Attached Files

Order By: Standard | Newest | Votes
onondaga posted this 15 December 2013

http://www.castbulletassoc.org/view_user.php?id=1251>jhalcott

30 cal does OK and is certainly very popular with the 30-30 Win having the historical edge with a 170 gr flat nose bullet.

I have a 30-30 put away. I prefer big bores for hunting and load them to the level needed for the game and range I shoot. My .458 Win Mag shoots a reduced load that has 1,000  foot pounds at 200 yards. That equals a wimpy 45-70 load in power.

The 45-70 is actually a wonderful and versatile caliber with cast bullets.

If I started again I'd make a different choice. The ballistics of the 35 Whelen are impressive with heavy cast bullets and that caliber is available as an extra barrel for my NEF Ultra Handi-Rifle.

My 375 H&H Winchester early model 70 has been living with my brother way too long and that caliber is a wonderful performer with cast bullets on Whitetail Deer even at long range.

For me, it is the big heavy flat nose bullets the make the difference on big  game with cast bullets. 35 cal is a good versatile place to start and the NEF in 35 Whelen would be a buck slammer.

I do hunt Western New York Black Bear too in the same high altitude hilly hardwood area I hunt Deer, so I generally carry the .458 Sauer or the .500 S&W Mag NEF rifle that I have. They are both big bore meat slammers.My .500 S&W:

http://s30.photobucket.com/user/rhymeswithwhat/media/SB2500.jpg.html>http://s30.photobucket.com/user/rhymeswithwhat/media/09deer.jpg.html>

Attached Files

badgeredd posted this 15 December 2013

I personally prefer 35 caliber cartridges for cast bullet hunting on meat game. My reasons are availability of molds, size of bullet, and ease of loading. I have several larger calibers and smaller caliber rifles, but in my immediate part of the state rifles are not allowed during deer season so my choices are limited by the state. I've used larger calibers in handguns, but have found well placed shots with a good pistol in 35 caliber allow longer shots and give less recoil. My second choice is a 375 SuperMag for the same reasons, longer range and less recoil. There's nothing wrong with a good 30 if one can use one, but I am still inclined to use a bigger heavier 35 caliber for cast bullet hunting in a rifle when I have the chance. Expansion isn't a real concern with a 35 due to it sheer mass if one is using something in the 200 grain or heavier weight category. Just my opinion and experience.

Edd

Attached Files

99 Strajght posted this 15 December 2013

I would go with the 35 cal. also. I have shot dear with the 358 Win, 35 Rem Mag, and the 35 Whelen. The 38-55 and the 45-70. I have even used the 250-3000, 257R, 6.5x55 and most of the 30 cals. They all work, but I seem to like the 35 cals. the best.

Attached Files

tturner53 posted this 15 December 2013

Lots of deer killed with the .30 cbs, but for me going bigger makes sense. A .35 is like an insurance policy the .30 can't match. Along those lines a 45-70 makes the most sense. It's worked for me, no fuss, no muss. DRT, the way I like it.

Attached Files

jhalcott posted this 15 December 2013

I've taken deer with 7MMtc/u to .57 caliber guns. The first was a doe with granddads 30-06. I was nine years old! Later, I took one with his friends 30-30,I was about 11 then. Since that time I've used calibers from 7MM to the .58 Enfield muzzle loader to take deer. I have the 35 Rem and 35 Whelen in .35 caliber and admit they are great rounds for deer with cast. I was talked out of the .358 Win Savage I had. Wish I could find another. ! I have only lost 2 deer, ONE was stolen by a poacher while I was getting ready to retrieve it. The other was shot near a swamp and could not be found. The smallest bullet used was a 135 grain 7MM “soup can".

Attached Files

6pt-sika posted this 16 December 2013

With cast bullets the only cartridge I use , cast or load for is the 444 Marlin . Of the bear I've killed both were done in with a 444 shooting my home cast bullets . For about the least 10 years I've killed atleast one deer with a cast bullet each year . And over that time I've used a rather large assortment of lever action rounds . Anything from the 30-30 to the 45-70 . But over the past 4 or 5 years I've gone 444 exclusively .

I might add in the 444 I've used home cast gas check bullets from 207 grains all the way up to 420 grains .

For my use the optimum cast bullet weight for the 444 seems to be 265 - 300 grains . Now with that being said I do derive alot of satisfaction from getting the heavy hitters to shoot in my rifles well enough to kill deer and then waylaying them !

Now with all that being said with jacketed bullets I have an even broader spectrum of cartridges I use regularly and semi regularly .

Attached Files

Scearcy posted this 22 December 2013

This cartridge is certainly not common but I have had good success with a 9.3X57.  It has been a very easy cartridge to work with.  260 to 285 gr bullets all seem to shoot well as long as they are not spitzers.  Best of all my old  model 98 will feed and chamber any cast bullet I can stuff in the case .    I have found that 1850 fps is all I need which is good because recoil becomes substantial if I push the velocity much higher.

Attached Files

delmarskid1 posted this 22 December 2013

I've got an itch to shoot something with the .375H&H or the .375/06. My thinking is bigger is better with our slower lead bullets.

Attached Files

6pt-sika posted this 22 December 2013

delmarskid1 wrote: I've got an itch to shoot something with the .375H&H or the .375/06. My thinking is bigger is better with our slower lead bullets.

375 H&H with the no longer made Nosler 260 Ballistic Tip makes a very nice whitetail thumper !

I've killed a couple doe and two 8 pointers with those bullets and no excessive meat destruction !

Attached Files

onondaga posted this 22 December 2013

http://castbulletassoc.org/view_user.php?id=348>delmarskid1

http://www.midwayusa.com/product/476137/lee-2-cavity-bullet-mold-379-250-rf-375-winchester-38-55-wcf-379-diameter-250-grain-flat-nose>http://www.midwayusa.com/product/476137/lee-2-cavity-bullet-mold-379-250-rf-375-winchester-38-55-wcf-379-diameter-250-grain-flat-nose

Bullets from this $19.99 Lee bevel base mold un-sized and tumble lubed in #2 alloy work real well in 375 H&H for me and can be really pushed with BPI Original Filler under the bullet that acts as a quasi gas check to send this one over 2,000 fps with a variety of powders. You may need to size for your specific rifle.

The flat nose is nice and big and bullet weight of 250 gr is right up there.   39.3 gr H4895 + BPI for a 106% density load with this bullet does 2025 fps and groups 1.8"@100 yds for my Mod 70 in  375 H&H.  This load has over 1,000 ft lbs at 220 yds and the  #2 alloy  FN bullet will double in caliber on impact at that distance and closer, then pass through Deer from any shot angle. The load has over 1500 ft lbs @110 yards for Black Bear too.

Don't bypass this bullet because the mold is cheap....it is a meat smacker in 375 H&H and the bevel base works extra well with BPI for hot loads.

Gary

Attached Files

CB posted this 22 December 2013

I would be more surprised if the answer isn't the 250 Keith bullet in a 44 magnum. It seems to be the gold standard for cast bullet hunting cartridges.

Attached Files

Ken Campbell Iowa posted this 23 December 2013

you aren't hearing it from me, but the top game getter bullet is the 100 year old ( sigh ) ... 22 rimfire.

bahgdad bube

Attached Files

LWesthoff posted this 23 December 2013

Think I might have to agree with Ken. Think I may have mentioned this before, but back a little over a half century ago in Northwest Montana (mountain country) the locals harvested “government beef” most of the year with a .22 rf. Then during open season, they used CF stuff to harvest their venison. (.22s are nice and quiet.)

Wes

Attached Files

Larry Gibson posted this 24 January 2014

Perhaps a bit better definition of the OP's idea of “game” would narrow it down some?

LMG

Concealment is not cover.........

Attached Files

Ed Harris posted this 24 January 2014

In North America the most usual game has always been deer.

So, traditionally, at least in the smokeless powder era, the .30 calibers and “near. 30s", (including the. 32-40, 8mm Mauser, .303 British) as well as the popular.30-30, .30-40 and. 30-'06 rounds were the ones most often used, regardless of ammo type.

During the Great Depression and in wartime, when factory sporting ammunition was either scarce or expensive, or both, those who reloaded cast bullets for the rifles they already had and “made do."

While any .30, .303, .32 or 8mm rifle will do the job, we've known since blackpowder days that larger calibers are more effective when using cast bullets. When blackpowder was the only option, “bigger was better,” and .32s (including the .32-20) were considered the minimum for deer. The .38-55 was popular in the East, and the .40 cal. and up blackpowder rounds out west.  Today, with lead supplies becoming more scarce and expensive, and the cost of gaschecks soaring, a “medium” bore such as a .35, .375, or perhaps up to a .44 caliber, is the ideal range to work within. I say this because if using common scrap alloys, soft enough to expand at velocities not requiring a gascheck, you want at least a 200-grain bullet, and probably something bigger than an 8mm.   But, larger calibers, requiring bullets weighing over 300 grains are simply ” too hungry” of powder and lead.  Throwing an ounce of lead pushed by more than 50 grains of expensive powder is a needless expense unless hunting elk, moose or the big bears..

My solution was to build a .35/.30-30.  Brass is plentiful and inexpensive. Plainbased bullets of 200 to 250 grains or so can be driven to 1400 fps or more using minimal charges of magnum pistol (#2400) or any fast-burning shotgun powder so that you can get from 500-800 rounds per pound.   Its ballistics approximate the. 38-55 Winchester, which is well proven as a game round in our Eastern woods.  I do not need to shoot past 150 yards, or at anything larger than black bear, so this solution is nearly ideal.  A .44 Magnum or .444 rifle will give similar performance without going the wildcat route.

My two cents.

73 de KE4SKY In Home Mix We Trust From the Home of Ed's Red in "Almost Heaven" West Virginia

Attached Files

• Liked by
  • John F.
jhalcott posted this 24 January 2014

When I asked the question I was thinking about white tail deer. BUT was reminded that grand dad and his buds shot a LOT of rabbits back in their day. I've taken deer with cast in calibers from 7MM to 45(not counting the muzzle loaders in .58). I seem to favor the .30-30 thru .35 Whelen though! The little 7TC/U is a remarkable deer killer with many different weight slugs. Range is limited if compared to even the .35 Remington.

Attached Files

Ok, deer it is.  I've killed numerous deer over the years with various calibers in various cartridges with jacketed and cast bullets.  With cast bullets the most often used caliber was .30 (30-30, .308W, '06 and a couple others).  Most often used bullet was the 311041 cast soft and HP'd to 3/16s.  It served me well for many years.   However, the last few years the 35 Remington has gotten the nod.  Mine is M91 Argentine Mauser with a 26” Shilen barrel.  I cast the RCBS 35-200-FN soft and HP it 3/16s deep with the 1/8” Forster HP tool.  I push it to 2150 fps with 4895 and it is deadly to 200 yards on deer and pigs.   LMG  

Attached Files

The RCBS as cast, loaded and HP'd. LMG  

Attached Files

w-d-s posted this 05 February 2014

I like 45/70 or 458 or any 45 cal. also 375 H&H is great with cast bullets. have a 270gr LBT mould that casts .378 as thats what the throat is. another good one is 35 Whelen with the Lyman 358009 at 280gr its a shame they quit making this one

Attached Files

wolfer posted this 06 February 2014

I've only been shooting cast in my rifles a couple years. So far all the deer me and my family have taken with cast rifle has been 30 cal. Namely 30-30 and 30-06 with the same 311041 sized to 309 and a small HP. Both guns run right at 1700 fps. We've only killed around 10 deer and coyotes so far but performance has been excellent. Personally I would like to go to a bigger cal. I haven't really seen a need to but I just want to. It's in the future a bit but planning on building 35 rem on one of my Turks. However, I have taken several deer with cast but it was with a ruger new vaquero in 45 colt. While I'm a big fan of this caliber the 30 cals cast soft and pushed to 1700+ are far more effective at putting them down quick and leaving a good blood trail. I've hunted all my life and if there's one thing I'm sure of. If you hit em in the right spot it doesn't much matter what you hit em with.Woody

Attached Files

w-d-s posted this 13 February 2014

Gary, thanks for the info on the Lee 379 bullet. I have the mould but havent used it yet. bought one because they were cheap and wanted to get one before they quite making them. not that they will but you dont know.

Attached Files

beerd posted this 05 March 2014

If we're talking about cast bullets, like several others I think .35 caliber is the way to go. A 200 grain .358 bullet is both effective and economical. ..

Attached Files

Riposte1 posted this 27 November 2014

I have to admit, when I read the thread title my thoughts went immediately to deer or even boar hunting.

As a couple of folks pointed out, probably much more small game and vermin are hunted than big game (I know for sure my small game and vermin tally is probably 10 times higher than my deer and boar tally).

It is a thought provoking thread to which I don't really have an answer.

No doubt, if one includes swaged lead bullets then the .22 RF is certainly prolific.

If we limit it to cast bullets, in my neck of the woods, handguns are more often used with cast than the rifle calibers.

I do have a friend that hunts with a wide variety of rifle calibers and often uses cast bullets. He and his family have taken deer with cast bullets in 32-20, .30 Carbine, .32 Remington as well as with handguns...but I'd hardly say they are the norm in our region.

I did a survey once canvasing the deer check stations and interviewed about 500 hunters who had successfully harvested game (the draw back is the failures to bag the game did not show up there of course) - Not surprisingly the 30-06 and 30-30 were the most common calibers but I don't recall a singe cast bullet shooter there. There were some in .44 Magnum and there were some in .50 M/L and a couple in .45 Colt.

All of the .357 users were jacketed hollow points I think.

anyway, not much help to the thread....I'll just listen in to the wisdom (really like that idea of a 30-30 necke up to .35! Though I do have a 38-55 so I guess I should just use that).

Riposte

Attached Files

Dirtybore posted this 05 March 2015

The association might dump my post as being posted by a renegade but I am using cast bullets. That being said, for the last 28 years, the only thing I've hunted with and taken deer with is a .526” and .530” soft cast round ball in several of my 54 caliber muzzleloaders. So far, I've taken 9 deer with half stock Hawken style rifles so since 2005, I've been carrying a 54 cal flintlock. This is a real challenge out here in Washington's Olympic Penninsula's rain forest.

Attached Files

Dale53 posted this 05 March 2015

All of my deer have been taken with a .44 Magnum handgun. I am now too “long in the tooth” to drag a deer out of the woods. However, my deer hunting has mostly been woods hunting and at woods ranges a decent handgun shot is well equipped with a good .44 magnum handgun.

Most of mine have been taken with the Lyman 429421 (a 250 gr Keith) ahead of 24.0 grs. of H110 or 296. My last deer, a nice ten point whitetail, was taken with the Lee C430-310-RF ahead of a healthy charge of H110.

In point of fact, a 250 gr. Keith at 1200 fps, will shoot clear through a large whitetail deer lengthwise at 100 yards. My hunting load actually runs at a chronographed 1300 fps.

I really enjoyed hunting edible small game with a handgun and over the years have used a number of calibers from .32's to .45's. I have had excellent results from all using cast bullets. I hate to pick a favorite caliber but a .38 Special with either a full charge 148 gr. wadcutter (cast solid) or a 160 gr. SWC would be close.

When bird hunting with a shotgun, I often carried a 60-4 Smith crossdraw. I took a good many sitting rabbits (both cottontail and snowshoe) as well as sitting and wounded grouse.

Here's my favorite deer hunting combination - a Model 29 S&W with 8 3/8” barrel with a Burris “big dot” reticule:

http://s269.photobucket.com/user/Dale53/media/DalesPistolsRevolvers5Selects-2.jpg.html>http://s269.photobucket.com/user/Dale53/media/DalesPistolsRevolvers5Selects-0242.jpg.html>

Attached Files

Chargar posted this 11 March 2015

Your question was which caliber was most often used on deer sized game. I think the answer would be a 30 caliber of some sort.

If, I were going to have a cast bullet rifle for deer size game, I would go with the 38-55 or 45-70. I have rifles in both calibers and both will do the job quite well.

Ed's logic is sound on the economy side of things. For folks who may have to go a very long time without resupply, it is something to give serious thought to.

I have a Marlin 45-70 levergun that was one of the first with Ballard rifling. The rear sight is an old Redfield 102. It is very accurate and quite easy to shoot with 1,200 - 1,300 fps load. This load will kill quickly any deer in the country you can hit at any reasonable range.

Attached Files

Ed Harris posted this 12 March 2015

I have really enjoyed rereading this thread. Lots of good info.

I think if looking at a factory rifle and standard cartridge Dale's logic on the. 44 Magnum flawless!

73 de KE4SKY In Home Mix We Trust From the Home of Ed's Red in "Almost Heaven" West Virginia

Attached Files

Close