10 Yard Plinker for a Rainy Day

• 5.2K Views
  • Last Post 26 January 2014
Eddie2002 posted this 10 January 2014

Still working on the ultimate low velocity plinker for my 7.7 Jap and think I've gotten as low as possible without sticking a bullet. I made a .25 cc powder scoop out of a spent .22 shell and used it to load Greendot with a pinch of cotton packing under a 100 grain .312 cast bullet. At 10 yds I can put 5 shots in the same hole but the POI is 4 inches lower than POA. Not quite a mouse fart but pretty quite. I've a pellet gun that shoots flatter than that;) but it is not as much fun. Moving out to 20 yards the bullets hit all over the target in a 5-6 inch spread that is 7-8 inches low. Just having fun with it and thought everybody could get a chuckle from the results.

Attached Files

Order By: Standard | Newest | Votes
tturner53 posted this 11 January 2014

One of our members or two has written up articles and posts re. round ball loads in similar rifles. I think I even remember a Fouling Shot article by Paco Kelly dealing with same. It is fun to mess around with these mouse fart loads. Any chance of a picture? I have a thing for the Jap rifles.

Attached Files

mckg posted this 11 January 2014

Thanks Eddie; did you try the ladder sight?

tturner, did you know that some were Made In Italy?

www.exordinanza.net/schede/Type-I_eng.htm http://members.shaw.ca/nambuworld/arisakas.htm

Attached Files

Eddie2002 posted this 11 January 2014

No pictures yet, the targets got soaked in the rain and I'm drying them before I post them. I tested Bullseye and Greendot for powders and Bllseye gave better grouping as expected since it is denser. didn't try the ladder sights yet for plinking. It would be cool to work up a mouse load that moved the POI up to the POA while using the ladder. Something to work on next rainy day.

Attached Files

delmarskid1 posted this 11 January 2014

My Dad's uncle had a true “mouse load” I've been told. Chick would pull the bullets from .22's and jamb the case into a bar of soap. I guess they would take turns shooting mice off of the kitchen counter. I have a cute little 95g Lee mold for the .32 I may have to warm up for this exercise. Not in the house probably. Foam ear plugs work in the .45 colt when the primer holes have been enlarged. They work a lot better than a spray bottle for recalcitrant cats.

Attached Files

Shadowdog posted this 21 January 2014

In, “Pet Loads” by Ken Waters there's some good starting data for these little quiet loads using .32 revolver bullets and Red Dot mostly for .30 rifles. I found them accurate to around 20yds in my rifles.

Attached Files

Larry Gibson posted this 24 January 2014

Try 2.7 - 3.2 gr Bullseye under a lee TL314-90-SWC.

LMG

Concealment is not cover.........

Attached Files

tlkeizer posted this 25 January 2014

Greetings,

About 50 years ago my father had a new 7mm Rem Mag.  One day he heard of shooting wax with just a primer for plinking and rabbits, so he decided to give it a try.  He melted some jelly sealing wax into a container about the depth of the neck of the case, pushed a case down in that had just a primer and no powder, and tried out the load.  It would go 30+ feet through the house (basement), through 10 months of calandar pages (one per month with the first page showing a moose for a “cheap moose hunt", through the dry wall, and not recovered.  Dad's first comment was words to the effect of “I missed the moose, can't believe I could miss a moose at 30 feet."  His second comment was not to say anything to mom until he had a chance to talk to her.  His third comment was to never ever do anything like that or we would be history as that was a dumb thing to do in the house.   Soooooo, if you ever try using wax with a primer be sure of your backstop.  They will collect rabbits if shot in the head, but lack for MOA groups.

About 35 years ago a college roommate was talking about how he and his brother would pull the slug from a .22, dump the powder, place the case mouth down on a sharpened pencil, then hold a match under the rim until it fired.  That too will go through drywall.  Again, be sure of your backstop.  I told my roommate that I thought we really shouldn't do anything like that again, and if he had any more things he wanted to show me maybe we should do it outside, and preferably in the country.

Have fun with rainy day plinkers, but try them out first in a relatively benign setting.  Oh, and if you shoot much wax, be sure to clean your barrel really well.  No problems there, just making sure the barrel is clean when a full charge load is used.

TK

Attached Files

Ken Campbell Iowa posted this 25 January 2014

ok, one sick day i tried wax bullets in my primer only 222at 30 feet with a sears catalog in a big box for backstop.

boring ...so i improved by putting a spent primer in the ” bullet ” nose.

not boring ... about an inch into the sears catalog ... even went right past those naughty longer-hey models on page 465 ....

ken

Attached Files

delmarskid1 posted this 25 January 2014

Is any body out there doing anything with hot glue, silicon caulk, or plaster?

Attached Files

mckg posted this 26 January 2014

Years ago, I briefly tried those Speer plastic ammo (cases n bullets). You just had to add a primer. The first shot flew three feet under the target and its portable backstand and punched a hole in the side of a hollow door. End of testing...

delmarskid1 wrote: Is any body out there doing anything with hot glue, silicon caulk, or plaster? The local Fast Draw people do. I'm not a big fan of their “ways", but one day I had to stop and tip my hat to some unknown thinker: instead of the usual rough bullet, I found a black, rubbery, perfectly molded LEE 255-RF. As far as I can tell, the perp used that stinky black auto caulking I can't remember the name of, pouring it in the mold without using the sprue plate (probably using a razor blade to shave the excess). Now this has practical applications :), though productivity must be sloooow.

As an afterthought, since I once shot myself in the forehead with a rebounding .177 pellet... there might be a good reason why rubbery bullets are not popular among shooters...

Attached Files

Close