What is ceresin?

• 4.6K Views
  • Last Post 24 March 2015
Vassal posted this 11 March 2014

I may be behind the times with this, but having just clicked on one of our sponsors banners and discovering a line of “ceresin” bullet lubes, I must ask. What is this stuff from JAKES' LUBE?  CERESIN?    How does it stack up against my long time favorites from LS STUFF?

Attached Files

Order By: Standard | Newest | Votes
RicinYakima posted this 11 March 2014

It is a naturally occurring wax, dug from the ground, used as a cheaper alternative than beeswax. Refined, it is used in hand creams and some cosmetics. HTH, Ric

Attached Files

Vassal posted this 12 March 2014

Think I'll stick with White Label. I've got a shipment on the way!!!   I would actually like some t-shirts from White Label.

Attached Files

RicinYakima posted this 12 March 2014

I have been sampling White Label lubes, since I am almost out of Grey #24 for match bullets. I am hoping to find something that will be as good. Ric

Attached Files

Bongo Boy posted this 11 March 2015

I've used Jake's Purple Ceresin lube for about 4=5 years now and, while I'd be happy to try other lubes, I can't find any reason to. I did try out their moly lube, but went back to the Purple and have stuck with it ever since. What I like about it is that it stays put better than the others I tried previously. I got very frustrated with products containing beeswax and/or carnauba, with the lube ending up all over everything, basically. I run my lubrisizer at about 120-124F depending on the temperature in the garage, and at that temperature it flows quite nicely. WHen the bullet comes out, the lube is pretty much there to stay. There is still some buildup in the seating die over time, but far less than other stuff I initially used.

It was actually White Label's Carnauba Red that sent me looking for something else. I'm sure it's a wonderful lube but I just couldn't seem to get a handle on...handling it. I think I ended up with as much on the outside of finished ammo as I did in the grease grooves. Just not for me. I think if I lubed 100 bullets then loaded them immediately things might have gone better.

Attached Files

Longone posted this 11 March 2015

White Label also makes a commercial lube that requires heat and DOES stay put in the grease grooves. I've been using it for a couple of years and am quite happy.

http://lsstuff.com/store/index.php?mainpage=index&cPath=5&zenid=4f69d2d2726f89dcb6f5a379e3807c21

Longone

Attached Files

Bongo Boy posted this 11 March 2015

Here are a couple of photos that at least show the Jake's Purple Ceresin product installed. I know it doesn't help a whole lot, but from the surface texture you may be able to get some slight idea of the resistance to deformation in normal handling, etc.

http://s182.photobucket.com/user/Bongo_Boy/media/Handloading/40-150.jpg.html>http://s182.photobucket.com/user/Bongo_Boy/media/Handloading/Boolit01.jpg.html>http://s182.photobucket.com/user/Bongo_Boy/media/Handloading/240grRNFP430Cast_zpscff49d19.jpg.html>

Attached Files

Bud Hyett posted this 11 March 2015

Jake's Ceresin Purple has worked well for several years for accuracy and durability in Alice's Savage .308 and my Springfield. I do not think within today's offerings that any one lube is greatly superior to another for lubricity capability within the bore, the ease of use and repeatable target results are now also a factor.   We ran out of Gray's 24 several years ago and, along with several others locally, I experimented with the various new lubes and shared results. Several people went with White lube while we stayed with Jake's ceresin-based lubes due to target results, non-stickiness and cleanliness in handling. 

Farm boy from Illinois, living in the magical Pacific Northwest

Attached Files

Pigslayer posted this 13 March 2015

I went with Carnuba Red about 1 1/2 yrs. and am very pleased with it. It's a hard lube & needs a heater. I use it for both rifle & pistol.

If someone else had of done to me what I did to myself . . . I'd have killed him. Humility is an asset. Heh - heh.

Attached Files

.22-10-45 posted this 24 March 2015

As RicinYakima said...this mineral wax is mined from ground..in it's natural state it's called Ozocerite. Ceresin wax is the fully refined form. In the early 20th century, Leopold's lube #245 contained Ozocerite.

Attached Files

Close