Does Velocity ES and SD really truly matter in life??

• 4.3K Views
  • Last Post 06 April 2014
corerf posted this 02 April 2014

New thread started. Anybody have a bit they would like to offer that is relevant to the “relevance” of Velocity Extreme Spread and Velocity Standard Deviation Data? I finally figured out after 34 years of shooting what Sectional Density and Ballistic Coefficient are (SD and BC), they really had me over a barrel!! Still dont know what they do to make my bullets land on a bean can in the back yard, but I know they apply somehow.

Im a noob and dont have a concept as to what the relevance of these letters ES and SD have to target shooting and hunting. I read all sorts of things about them but they indeed are way over my head and I'd like a primer on ES and SD (velocity) so that I may flourish in my reloading practices. Please no conjecture, that wont help me. I need data, that can be studied. Maybe fine reading material by a scientist or an industry figure or leader. Seems everyone has an opinion and opinions are like the wind, widely varying and everchanging. Personal experiences such as “The day the two blackbirds flew over, my SD or ES changed and groups got bigger” probably should not be cited. Also those instances when the ES or SD changed for your buckshot shotgun load and the pattern made a different funny picture, that should also be omitted. Probably not relevant.

Thanks in advance for your input. I appreciate all relevant responses. corerf

Attached Files

Order By: Standard | Newest | Votes
Tom Acheson posted this 02 April 2014

Kind of makes you think of an old saying....data always trumps a smart guy with an opinion...

Attached Files

Chargar posted this 02 April 2014

I have seen this thread and avoided it because when it comes to science I am a total failure. I have never concerned myself with SD and ES, as all that matters is how close the bullet hit next to each other on the target. Somebody may come along and tell me that SD and ES is what makes bullet hit next to each other on the target, but it will take allot of convincing before I jump on that bandwagon.

Attached Files

R. Dupraz posted this 02 April 2014

An interesting discussion. Too many unsubstantiated general statements. Seems to me there is one way to find out. But at a distance a little more than 50 yds.

Attached Files

Michael K posted this 03 April 2014

Anymore I find shooting over the chronograph while developing a load to be more entertaining than technical.  In general, narrow ESs and SDs do not necessarily mean small groups, nor does wider ES and SD mean bigger groups.  I am with Charger, nice tight clusters means more than ES and SD.  Granted there are those situations where ES and SD carry more importance and/or provide indications of something else going on, but for most of my shooting, I usually don't worry about it.  Michael

Attached Files

onondaga posted this 03 April 2014

I have worked ladder loads with the traditional method at 1,000 yards at least 3 dozen times over my lifetime. Four of my rifles each have had loads that print 5 shots sub 1 MOA at 1,000 yards.  I never used a chronograph working on the ladders for those rifles but only after I got sub 1 MOA did I check chronograph statistics.

Helpful or not, I don't know but my highest velocity ES with those winning loads was 56. One of the loads had the lowest ES at 14. I thought 14 was fantastic. The results were that the ES 56 load shot just as well and either load was a 9 inch group of 5 shots at 1,000 yards. They were all just a smidge under 1 MOA. I believed that was the best I could ever do and that I was the limiting factor preventing smaller groups.

The day I shot my lifetime best of 6.82” was with a rifle in the middle of my ES span of rifle/load combinations and not the rifle/load that had the lowest ES. However, there was a thermal inversion that day with zero wind and I was shooting the rifle with the trigger I liked the best.

So for me, it was the day and the trigger that made the difference, not the load velocity ES.

Gary

Attached Files

corerf posted this 03 April 2014

Gary,  So it sounds like using a 1000 yard control for measuring ES and SD merit might be less than ideal as the control has numerous significant variables to be useful. Like, the wind, doping for the wind and the rest of the errors that follow, trigger control, breathing, sight picture, etc. These errors induced by shooter have realistically more bearing on bullet flight than velocity, especially if many occur at same time. 

Would you agree that using the virtual worst case control for my analysis would not be as reliable as a control that had fewer variables? After all, Im looking for a control, a standard to base conclusions on. 

The data you have offered is definitely worthy. This helps me understand how ES and SD getting smaller may not have a proportional effect on group size, or ANY effect. This is a start for me to change my understanding of velocity ES merit. 

May I ask if each shot fired was immediately correlated to the velocity data and mapped on the target? Rather than look a a bulk attribute, I believe any testing must be done shot by shot and correlation of shot data and impact point must be completed. After all, we are not really looking at ES as a CHUNK, we are using ES to offer a generic number that represents a multitude of single examples. It would stink to have to rummage thru 1000 shots worth of velocities when we can isolate a cluster and make an average from the cluster. But the impact each individual shot and its deviation from normal or anticipated performance is LOST COMPLETELY in the SEA OF DATA the ES number represents. Thats why medical folks study GROUPS or people, but take samples from INDIVIDUALS and document them very accurately. GROUPS are easy to make statistics from, difficult to analyze accurately. They are an AVERAGE, non-specific. You cant fix a group of sick people at once, you must attack the disease on an individual basis. Then the group GETS HEALED. 

Does anyone have “Shorter” distance data avail? Forgive my lack of experience and potential for speaking out of turn- I “understand” (not having ever shot 1000 yards) it is less the load and more the shooters ability to contend with the extreme environment presented at that distance, that make major achievements like Garys possible. Is that true? Of course a reliable load would be needed for any achievement at that distance, period. Gary must have had a very solid load to work with from the get go. 

Would you agree Gary that at 1000 yards, the velocity data or velocity error could have as much group size influence as your ability to accurately dope the shot, hold and read other conditions? Or vice versa? Considering it only takes a few thousanths of an inch at the muzzle to steer a bullet inches in an unintended flight path (over 1000 yards), could the group enlargement, or lack thereof be the product of several introduced errors, including but not limited to the velocity changes from shot to shot?

Id like to put this to test, but if I use a load value that is very very accurate, by throttling powder charge to create velocity changes will ultimately alter the real accuracy stats enough to where too many changes occur from that one reduction or increase. Just about any variable changed will alter the entire test. Cant just change one value to make velocity go up and down and expect the cartridge to perform otherwise as expected. The bullets dont have internal brakes either to slow them down a bit. This is tough. I suppose I could try to verify a load with a broad “sweet spot", one that over a grain change up or down typically doesnt reduce overall group size. I see the issue is as follows: If I pull a shot, I have to isolate that round, throw the data out. If I hold wrong or have a bad sight picture at let off, then again, throw out the shot. 

It seems that a completely BLIND test would be required and I would need to have the velocity changes happen- NATURALLY and w/o force. Life will just have to happen. Basically to prove or disprove, a spotter would be necessary with a blind study. Shooter shoots the best day of his life at 100 or 200 yards with a reactive load. One that does indeed respond at least 40-50 fps with a grain or less change in powder charge. Spotter has to plot each round and each round on paper gets labeled with its corresponding velocity. Basically a cartridge that will react in velocity changes proportionately to powder volume change and with a great deal of sensitivity. 

The problem is I have done this same operation only not specifically as a study, just going to the range to prove handloads. My kids make great spotters and they are super kids! They get bored with shooting at the range though, rather play with an Ipod or a guitar than continue endlessly to burn ammo on non-reactive paper targets. I don't blame them either. But dad forces them to stay involved, sometimes. Spotting and calling shots. I expect from several rifles I own, groups under .25 inch at 100 yards, namely my 22-250 Savage. I expect at 4200fps, my 50gr flat bottom bullet to cut, even in the rain and a nice breeze, at 100 yards, a single pencil hole. Unfortunately it only does this with cheap Midway Dogtown or Nosler Blems- jacketed bullet under massive pressures. It shoots like this when its hot, cold and even when handed to another shooter who has never fired the thing. It just shoots really well, all the time. As long as I feed it with ultra massaged brass, large quantities of Varget, etc. I will cry when my Savage burns thru this barrel.

SOMETIMES- this is done over the chrono and I can call “good shot” five times or ten times in a row, for several hours. My kids can produce data for me which IS proportional to velocities changes. My kids can say DAD your a 1/4 inch high on that one. I can take the 10 lb rifle and commit, good shot and I DIDNT DO IT!!.....look at the chrono and see a 35 fps jump for that round! I will admit, there are strings that are sub 2 digit ES and I cant read CRAP. Its one hole OR I pulled, read wind wrong (So Cal mountain ranges usually are gusting daily after 10 AM from 6-20 MPH), ETC. Some folks say one hole group. One ragged Hole. That is not what Im saying. Im saying poke one bullet thru paper, then walk away because that the total size of the opening. One diameter of the projectile (well I exaggerate, its bigger than one diameter but not much). I cant explain why its bigger than one hole even when the ES is at 4-7 fps, but it is. Im human, the rifle is imperfect too, etc, etc. But I clearly believe if I hold well enough and hand load as well as I have been able to, there should only be one hole! I digress.....

BTW: The load was not found over a chrono. The Chrono confirms the group size. It was a basic load workup from Hodgdon data. Gary, call it a ladder or what have you. 10 rounds at .2 gr increase till I found a pinhole. Then work brass into oblivion with tools and refine said pinhole. Then verify said pinhole with Chrono. Zero vertical dispersion and an ES below 10, seem to correlate well. I digress again.

Add a few more rounds in the sub 15 fps ES range and they all stack. Pick one out of the block that has very little neck tension (I can move the bullet up and down due to neck sizing and extreme neck thinning), I shoot, chrono says 30 fps SLOW (below the mean velocity) and my kids says, dad your .25 low! I cant see the chrono when I shoot. I cant predict a light charge before I pull the trigger or a loose neck. I dont have ESP so that I unintentionally vary my hold to follow what the Chrono will output in the future. Basically I expect ONE TINY HOLE in the paper. And IF a hole appears ABOVE the ONE HOLE or BELOW, I can directly correlate that shift in impact point with a velocity change. 

This is WHY I believe ES is as important as mentioned elsewhere previously. Now with that said- MY EXAMPLE IS NOT as an extreme condition as using 10 shots that you cant correlate at 200 yards (as indicated by others in other threads) nor 10 shots at 1000 yards that again, are not placement correlated with velocity data. It is as Scientific as one can be with propellants that react to environmental changes and user input. I dont have a machine rest. Holding on a target that I can see fibers of paper on thru optics, its actually pretty easy to confirm that a shot wasnt pulled. Ive not performed this test just once or on one string, this is what has occurred a multitude of times with both handgun (scoped) and rifles. Even with cast bullets (when a gun will shoot them well enough to be viable). The trend seems to be consistent. I have found groups that are large, I cant read crap into it. Like reading tea leaves in the bottom of the cup. But who cares at that point, its a shotgun blast. I have a shotgun for that type of accuracy.

Note I have not mentioned shooting cast bullets with an average group size of 3 inches at any range. The control for my testing is basically a Stanford Single Hole Punch on my office desk. If there is a change, i'd better figure out why and it becomes pretty easy, me or the ammo! The chronograph is one indicator of error. Low or high ES cant make me pull a shot 2 inches left! Common sense is a very good indicator too. Chrono can tell me why I went high, more often than not, due to velocity change. Which is quantified in the ES number.

Lastly, I have not at all indicated that other factors that are far more critical dont open my groups, like me jerking the trigger, flinching, glare, fatigue, COFFEE, excitement---- My groups open for all sorts of reasons that are not attributed to Vel ES. But I firmly believe that if there is a velocity increase and I see the shot placement higher than average, and the inverse as well, low/low..... Indeed A LOW Extreme Spread in velocity does contribute to smaller group size (well hell, Id better say this right--- A SMALLER VERTICAL DISPERSION). But it wont IN AND OF ITSELF make a small group, only a human can do that.

Attached Files

CORERF:

I will try to answer by item what sticks out to me:

<>“After all, I'm looking for a control, a standard to base conclusions on.” ”¦...My control has always been the results of the long range ladder test locating the sweet spot of accuracy and accepting my shooting skills as a reasonable and repeatable factor. I believe the ladder will show the isolation of shot clusters at my skill level, but some people having a bad day and continuing to keep shooting a ladder have erred and should have gone home and tried another day instead of continuing and skewing the cluster effect. <>“May I ask if each shot fired was immediately correlated to the velocity data and mapped on the target? “ No, however, each shot by shot is marked and identified by charge weight and number of the shot in the ladder progression. This involves walking or driving and marking each shot after it is fired. Velocity is not measured when I shoot ladders.. I routinely do that just as a check of velocity for a reference and later use when charting expected bullet path. <>“Would you agree Gary that at 1000 yards, the velocity data or velocity error could have as much group size influence as your ability to accurately dope the shot, hold and read other conditions? Or vice versa? ”¦.Vise versa, because in a match or when practicing for a match and shooting for group size, the load has already been developed by the initial ladder test that identified a span of charge weights that clustered points of impact and identified a sweet spot. Those shots that clustered have an average charge, that is my selection for the center of the sweet spot of charges for accuracy and that is what identifies the charge of powder I use, regardless of what later chronograph data shows. <>“I suppose I could try to verify a load with a broad “sweet spot", one that over a grain change up or down typically doesn't reduce overall group size.” ”¦.That is the essence of locating a sweet spot with a progression of charges. Personally, for me, the 1 grain you mention isn't broad enough for me. Locating a sweet spot with a tested and very appropriate powder is generally broader, usually 1.5 to 2 grains. Selecting the powder is not difficult when you just study match statistics for the caliber you are shooting. I tend to copy what has already proven best and am not a pioneer in selecting match powder. My peak period with .308 Win for example, was a time when IMR 3031 was winning matches, so that is what I used then to shoot ladders with Sierra bullets that were also winning. <*>“It seems that a completely BLIND test would be required and I would need to have the velocity changes happen- NATURALLY and w/o force.”....I do this every time I shoot a ladder, but I guess it is to a different end than you search for. Specifically, I don't care what the velocities are, that is not what I consider a deciding or relevant factor because I rely on cluster concentration when I shoot ladder tests and make no effort to record velocity at that time.

I believe low ES is merely a result that is seen from loads that perform accurately. I have never used a method to first find a load that has a low ES and then rely on that method instead of proving accuracy first by finding a sweet spot center for the rifle/bullet. I have certainly listened in on shooters debating where to go when encountering a ladder with what they perceive and call multiple nodes of accuracy in a ladder test. To me, that just means, if they can't settle the question by measurement, then they are just questioning their own marksmanship or don't accept their skill level.

Gary

Attached Files

joeb33050 posted this 03 April 2014

To help with this business, here's some info about the number of shots chronographed and the accuracy of the estimate of SD (and ES, for you ES guys). (We call SD “SIGMA” sometimes, to confuse things.) If we shoot a zillion shots over the chronograph and average the velocities we get what we can call POP SD and POP ES.When we shoot some shots over the chronograph and average the velocities, we get ESTIMATES of POP SD and POP ES. We kinda know that 1 shot isn't a very good estimate. How many shots should we average? How close is the estimate? If we average 5 shots and get an estimate, then POP SD is within 60% and 287% of the estimate, 95% of the time. If the average, the estimate, of SD, is 10 fps, then 95% of the time POP SD is between 6 fps and 28.7 fps. And 5% of the time POP SD is below 6 fps or above 28.7 fps. This 60% and 287% connected to 5 shots are what we call the “bounds".  Here's a table of bounds for various numbers of shots, n: 95% CONFIDENCE BOUNDS OF SIGMA    LOWER UPPER n BOUND BOUND5 60% 287% 6 62% 245%7 64% 220%8 66% 204%9 68% 192%10 69% 183%11 70% 175%12 71% 170%13 72% 165%14 72% 161%15 73% 158%16 74% 155%17 74% 152%18 75% 150%19 76% 148%20 76% 146%21 77% 144%22 77% 143%23 77% 142%24 78% 140%25 78% 139%26 78% 138%27 79% 137%28 79% 136%29 79% 135%30 80% 134%
My rule of thumb is that we need 10 shots minimum, and more is better, for a reasonably accurate estimate of SD. And ES.

interesting from Joe.

My rule of thumb considers what Joe says about a larger sample being more valid.  The group size I use for velocity statistics is only my own arbitrary choice and I use 22 shots, then I remove the single highest and single lowest from the group before calculating as a 20 shot sample.

Sometimes I have used 2 sample groups of 12 shots and removed the single highest and single lowest from each 12  shot group. This makes 2 groups of 10 and I take an average from the resulting 2 groups of 10 for each statistic. Then I accept what I get with either my high/low adjusted 20 shot sample or my averages from two high/low adjusted 10 shot samples and don't use a confidence interval based on 5 shot samples because I believe my sample size is adequate without a confidence interval.

I put my most intense effort into the shooting of the ladder or the shooting of groups when the ladder is done, the subsequent velocity statistics are only out of curiosity for me. The velocity statistics will not change my proven load, they just measure velocity parameters set by the load.

I've done a lot of shooting over the years and last year was the first time I ever had an ES in a single digit. Alliant Black MZ and patched round balls did this if you are curious. I have hit 10, 11, 12 and 13 a number of times but last year was the first time I ever broke 10. It was with 2 high/low adjusted 10 shot groups from 2 separate days. I never expected close to that from a black powder substitute and spit lubed  patched round balls, it was a big surprise.

Gary

Attached Files

corerf posted this 06 April 2014

Joe,

Based on your information regarding ES and SD (the definitions stated above), I have been compiling data and it's patently NOT ES and SD data. Its estimates, which are not by definition ES and SD.Since I shoot groups based on estimates and not true stats and in much lower volume than can/should be used to form ES/SD data, I conclude that all of you are correct in that ES/SD dont make an impact on group size or have a correlation.

To all,

My examples are not ones that represent ES/SD correctly and so I can't comment in any way on the relationship of ES and group size, in any form or function. My data is errored heavily and enough to eliminate it for any discussion.

I apologize for being confused and pushing my experiences forward as viable data and then arguing that data relevance.

Best Regards

Mike

Attached Files

joeb33050 posted this 06 April 2014

corerf wrote: Joe,

Based on your information regarding ES and SD (the definitions stated above), I have been compiling data and it's patently NOT ES and SD data. Its estimates, which are not by definition ES and SD.Since I shoot groups based on estimates and not true stats and in much lower volume than can/should be used to form ES/SD data, I conclude that all of you are correct in that ES/SD dont make an impact on group size or have a correlation.

To all,

My examples are not ones that represent ES/SD correctly and so I can't comment in any way on the relationship of ES and group size, in any form or function. My data is errored heavily and enough to eliminate it for any discussion.

I apologize for being confused and pushing my experiences forward as viable data and then arguing that data relevance.

Best Regards

MikeNo!First, “forget ES” means “sample SD is a better estimator of population SD than ES, so forget ES"Second, nobody knows what population SD (or ES) is, sample SD is the estimator that we all (almost) use, use it!Third, the question of sample size and the bounds of the estimate for shooting a gun can be argued about endlessly, by statisticians. We use sample SD to average to estimate population SD and average, assuming that everything remains the same shot to shot. One could argue that a dun changes from shot to shot, that the third shot changes the gun so that the fourth shot is from a different gun.Fourth, the only thing worse than not-perfect data is no data. Any data is better than no data. Experiment, save your data, put it here and let us see it. Pay no attention to any criticism (except mine). You're way ahead of the opinioneers!Let me know if I can help.

Attached Files

Close