ALMOST NECK TENSION

• 3.2K Views
  • Last Post 28 April 2014
joeb33050 posted this 27 April 2014

I'm on my second sets of Lee collet dies for 223 and 308, and they still don't work.My Lyman FL 308 dies sizes cases from -.004” to -.011” (below) SAAMI min. headspace. RCBS 223 dies fl size from +.003” to -.003” of SAAMI min headspace. I set Savage barrel headspace to fired FL sized cases, so barrel headspace is as little as possible with cases sized in MY dies. FL sizing pulls some cases to longer headspace, or so it seems. They get hard to chamber, some, sometimes. I FL size each time since the collet dies don't work, and headspace is minimum, and to avoid the lengthening, I run a Q tip with Marvel Mystery Oil inside the case mouth before sizing.Then another Q tip to remove black and oil after sizing. I find that the case goes over the expander much easier, and no lengthening of headspace on the cases-they fit. There ain't a lot of oil going on with this, just enough to get the case mouth cleaner and a little oily. I lube cases with just a teeny bit of lanolin and leave it on the outside of tye cases  so they blow back and headspace doesn't shorten. I haven't lost split neck a 223 case in thousands of shots with little/no annealing. And, I'm guessing the neck tension is pretty constant, matters or not.

Attached Files

Order By: Standard | Newest | Votes
onondaga posted this 27 April 2014

Joe, I follow the Lee instructions and the Lee Collet Dies work in every caliber I have used them. The same is true for many thousands of people including match winning shooters. Those dies have the best reputation with match shooters that can be accomplished.

My barrels have not been headspaced to FL sized brass, They have been factory headspaced to SAAMI standards.

Headspacing barrels to FL sized brass is not a proven procedure with results  substantiated as compatible with Lee Collet Dies due to the uncontrolled manner that you can set and full length size  brass to use as a headspace gauge as it compares to SAAMI standards.   Sized brass does not equate to SAAMI headspace gauges...they are brass and they are the size you have sized them too. Expecting your sized brass to work for this application will continue to be futile Joe. Expecting Lee Collet Sizing Dies to be compatible to barrels headspaced  with your method will also continue to be futile. Lee Collet Sizing Dies relate to SAAMI chambers and not necessarily to your method.

My conclusion is that you ruined your barrel setup with your own headspacing method instead of SAAMI and that is why the Lee Collet Neck sizing dies won't work for you. You can fix this with SAAMI headspacing, standard brass and following Lee instructions.

Gary

Attached Files

Brodie posted this 27 April 2014

I have always found it more advantageous to size my brass so that it fits my chamber (either size, neck size, or don't size at all) rather than the other way around.  Brodie

B.E.Brickey

Attached Files

Ken Campbell Iowa posted this 27 April 2014

dang this is fun !

heh, joe ...just for us lee collet gadget fans, ... what didn't work with your lee dies ?

is it that collet squeezing your necks doesn't shorten too-long cases back to fit your chamber ? or do they stick , bind, squeal etc. ? i have a 223 lee collet die that somebody gave me .. as not working ... i just took it apart, put a little moly in it to slide easily, and it worked just fine.

i too do like to just close on a go gauge when chambering, but yep a little dust can eat up that sweet feeling pretty quick ..

oh, the mj benchrester make a die to only set the shoulder back a quarter-thou or so; they chamber min. length too.

glad i got out of that game .. tenth reading indicators are too expensive .. ( g )

ken

Attached Files

John Alexander posted this 27 April 2014

Joe, As you note FL sizing dies don't size every case to exactly the same headspace.  So your idea of setting the headspace of the rifle on a FL sized case will not work part of the time. When the die sizes a case to a slightly longer headspace than the case you used for setting up the rifle it won't chamber as you have found out.

You are right FL sizing sometimes causes the headspace dimension to lengthen as the sides are squeezed in from their expanded dimension.  I have a set of dies that does that every time if you try to PARTIALLY FL resize.  Then they won't chamber even if the case was fired in the same rifle and the case would chamber easily before it was partially FL sized.

It seems to me that the simplest solution would be to headspace the rifle on a case that had been fired (but not resized) in a SAAMI chamber or set it using a headspace gauge. Then it would be very close to SAAMI headspace.  Then only neck size your cases by backing out the FL sizing die so it only touches and sizes the neck of the case. Before the collet die came on the market, I did all my reloading this way (except when I expected to find a grizzly and wanted the rounds a bit loose so they chambered easily).  After being fired once in your rifle your cases would then fit snugly as close to the exact headspace of the rifle as possible and would stay that way for many loadings at most cast bullet load pressures in a bolt action.

I will save my suggestions for working the Collet die for another time.

John

Attached Files

Tom Acheson posted this 28 April 2014

Not that it applies here but loading for my .40-70 SS BPC rifle is done differently. The OAL is controlled by where the top of the wad is that has been compressed along with the BP. The cases are not sized and are used “as fired". The bullet is just finger seated and the next step is a crimp. The crimp is light enough that you can rotate the bullet in the case but you can't pull it out.

The bullet is either a Paul Jones Money design or a Saeco #740, both weighing about 410-416 grains in 16:1 alloy. The PJ is not sized but the Saeco is. Both are the same OD and you have to just wiggle the bullet into the case until it comes to rest on top of the wad. It's probably safe to say there no bullet-pull or neck tension with that arrangement.

Tom

Attached Files

joeb33050 posted this 28 April 2014

John Alexander wrote: Joe, As you note FL sizing dies don't size every case to exactly the same headspace.Yes, the HS seems to vary over a range of .006"   So your idea of setting the headspace of the rifle on a FL sized case will not work part of the time. When the die sizes a case to a slightly longer headspace than the case you used for setting up the rifle it won't chamber as you have found out. Not true. I set the barrel with ~3-5 cases so the bolt closes without resistance. Then with 1 layer of Scotch tape on the head, look for a little bolt closing resistance, again ~3-5 cases. Then with 2 layers of tape, look for a lot of resistance. This is an analog, FEEL kind of HS setting. The FEEL of the bolt closing is over several thousandths of variation in case HS. I'd guess that the bolt can be closed, with resistance, on a case with ~.003” or more HS greater than the rifle HS. Means that long cases/short chambers still allow bolt closing without undue force required. I've never had ctgs that won't go in the gun because of HS.I have RCBS Precision Mic's for only 223 and 308, so only can talk about them. You are right FL sizing sometimes causes the headspace dimension to lengthen as the sides are squeezed in from their expanded dimension.  I have a set of dies that does that every time if you try to PARTIALLY FL resize.  Then they won't chamber even if the case was fired in the same rifle and the case would chamber easily before it was partially FL sized.Correct, sort of. During my testing I found that as the die was screwed in, to neck size in FL dies, there came a point where the neck was sized BUT case HS increased. I wondered if the BR guys “bumping the shoulder back” was about this. It seems to me that the simplest solution would be to headspace the rifle on a case that had been fired (but not resized) in a SAAMI chamber or set it using a headspace gauge. Then it would be very close to SAAMI headspace. I think that you rely too much on the factory. I spent a lot of time measuring fired brass at the range, and found that the factory HS varied all over the lot. Generally larger dimension than SAAMI. Somebody pointed out that HS gauges are made for NEW barrels/guns, and so are SAAMI specs. Wear then increases HS. So, your suggestion about a case in a SAAMI chamber-where do we get one? Then only neck size your cases by backing out the FL sizing die so it only touches and sizes the neck of the case. Before the collet die came on the market, I did all my reloading this way (except when I expected to find a grizzly and wanted the rounds a bit loose so they chambered easily).  After being fired once in your rifle your cases would then fit snugly as close to the exact headspace of the rifle as possible and would stay that way for many loadings at most cast bullet load pressures in a bolt action. My method of setting the gun up works for me. I've changed and shot a lot of Savage barrels now, FL size with my dies, sometimes neck size with Lee Loader, M die frequently, leave lube on the cases and don't get split necks. I'm working the brass a minimum. Think about my Lyman dies, some cases .011” shorter than Saami. Also, the Q tip + lube maybe? keeps necks from stretching?  I will save my suggestions for working the Collet die for another time.

John

Attached Files

Ken Campbell Iowa wrote: dang this is fun !

heh, joe ...just for us lee collet gadget fans, ... what didn't work with your lee dies ?

is it that collet squeezing your necks doesn't shorten too-long cases back to fit your chamber ? or do they stick , bind, squeal etc. ? i have a 223 lee collet die that somebody gave me .. as not working ... i just took it apart, put a little moly in it to slide easily, and it worked just fine.

i too do like to just close on a go gauge when chambering, but yep a little dust can eat up that sweet feeling pretty quick ..

oh, the mj benchrester make a die to only set the shoulder back a quarter-thou or so; they chamber min. length too.

glad i got out of that game .. tenth reading indicators are too expensive .. ( g )

kenI shoot bore ride bullets that engrave the nose. I want a little resistance as the nose engraves. OAL is where there's JUST no debulleting on opening the bolt, in my guns, where the first band touches the throat/leade/ball seat.This requires bullets seated way in the neck, the GC is way in. Lee Collet dies with ex .223 and 6 lots of cases, require widely varying pressure/force to seat bullets. AND, sometimes the bullet gets pushed back in the case. M die or no, turn necks or no or different thickness, crocus the collet die rod down .001” or so. collet dies don't work for me. I've got a bag of 10# of 223 brass that I've experimented with, and a man here is sending me another 100 Believe me, I'd LOVE to crank cases through a collet die, life would be much easier. Go Gauges or FL fired cases and scotch tape-the argument goes on on the Savage site. The man who taught me used the latter method, and it's worked for me over dozens of barrel changes. 

Attached Files

The variation in case headspace is probably .001” in the measuring/micrometer; and .002"? in the lettering and primer pocket lumps etc on the case head. So the ?.006” typical isn't all spring back.

Attached Files

John Alexander posted this 28 April 2014

Joe, I guess I read your post too late in the day. Sorry that I misunderstood. I thought you were complaining about your method not suiting you.  You did say that some cases became hard to chamber and I jumped to the conclusion that you weren't satisfied with that.  If you are happy with your method I guess I missed your point other than the part about the collet die.

Getting a case to fit the chamber with consistent bolt feel every time isn't hard.  I headspace a Savage barrel the same way you do but make sure I have a case big enough (your 3-5 cases and tape should do the same.) I never have any trouble later.  I use a collet die but I have also used a conventional neck sizing die or backing out a FL die without any trouble. I don't own an M die.  After the first firing the cases are formed to the chamber dimensions including headspace and maintain the same bolt feel when chambering for over a hundred necksizings.  They don't get tight. Factory headspace varies. That doesn't mean it is out of spec.  A 308 chamber with .010” over the minimum dimension is still in spec and a cartridge with the headspace (yeah I know that's not the right term) 0.007 less than the max is also in spec.  That is what tolerances are for.  Not to say that some chambers and some cartridges aren't really out of spec. 

Don't know what to say about the collet die problem.  If you aren't using the one for 223 and want to send it up with some of your fired cases I will try it to see if I can help.  John

Attached Files

I don't quite know what happened here, my miracle hint was about q tips and marvel mystery oil and easy pulling over the neck expander and no case lengthening because of easy pulling.  A note on headspace, about which I know almost everything.http://www.saami.org/pubresources/ccdrawings/Rifle/223%20Remington.pdfis the saami dwg for 223 case and chamber.Case headspace is 1.4666” - .007"Chamber headspace is 1.4636"/1.4736"See that the max case HS is .003” > min chamber HS. (This is partly about ANSI 1415.M, but it still looks too big.) HEADSPACE is of much less importance than many think. The gun, case, die dimensions and tolerances are such that .010” slop is common. HS affects brass life and resizing effort/dimension changes. 

Attached Files

Close