30-30 Winchester

• 3.7K Views
  • Last Post 04 May 2014
Pigslayer posted this 30 April 2014

Thinking about getting a Handi-Rifle in 30-30Winchester. Need suggestions as far as a good bullet for that. Pat

If someone else had of done to me what I did to myself . . . I'd have killed him. Humility is an asset. Heh - heh.

Attached Files

Order By: Standard | Newest | Votes
Duane Trusty posted this 30 April 2014

Pigslayer

You won't go wrong with a lyman 311291. It was originally designed for 30-30 lever action rifles. It will crimp in the right place for almost any factory 30-30 chamber.

Duane

Attached Files

jhalcott posted this 30 April 2014

Maybe a 311041 if you and the gun like flat points. I've used a bunch of cast bullets in my Contender 30-30 with great success and a few dismal failures. every thing from 125 grain to 200 grains has taken deer for me. The handi rifle removes the need for flat nose bullets, so more streamlined pointy bullets can be used.

Attached Files

onondaga posted this 30 April 2014

http://www.castbulletassoc.org/view_user.php?id=6171>Pigslayer

30-30 Handi Rifles have a generous throat that will allow the heaviest, longest 30 cal bullets you can get. Gotta say that the RD165 FNGC and copies of it are superb in the 30-30 with any rifle. Your Handi will likely prefer bullets sized .311"

Gary

Attached Files

joeb33050 posted this 30 April 2014

Duane Trusty wrote: Pigslayer

You won't go wrong with a lyman 311291. It was originally designed for 30-30 lever action rifles. It will crimp in the right place for almost any factory 30-30 chamber.

DuaneI haven't come across a 311291 with a nose > ~ .299” in years. Small nose 291s don't shoot as accurately as 31141/311041, which shoots just great. In the handi rifle, 311/4 299 shoots great.The approx best/vg load is 14.5/IMR4227 or SR4759.

Attached Files

Pigslayer posted this 30 April 2014

Just curious. I have a LEE C312-155-2R laying around that didn't work out for a 7.62 x 54R. Wondering how the 30-30 would digest that. Comments please? These are dropping with a band diameter of .3135  and a nose diameter of .309.  

If someone else had of done to me what I did to myself . . . I'd have killed him. Humility is an asset. Heh - heh.

Attached Files

onondaga posted this 30 April 2014

Your C312-155-2R drops plenty big for 30-30, you may need to size it if they don't chamber. They may slide right in and shoot wonderfully depending on your throat dimension. try a dummy load. The pointy bullet will be no problem for a single shot 30-30.

Sizing and checking those to a different diameter is easy too. You can also just drop a bare bullet nose down into the chamber and slap the rifle action a few times to see how far the bullet will easily go and measure.

I think that if you just seat those to cover the top driving band that they will go fine with zero crimp needed for a single shot.  A light charge and you won't need a gas check either.

Gary

Attached Files

gpidaho posted this 02 May 2014

PAT     MY 30-30 HANDY RIFLE shoots LEE c-309-180-R very well lubed through a saeco 310 die          gp

Attached Files

Pigslayer posted this 02 May 2014

gpidaho wrote: PAT     MY 30-30 HANDY RIFLE shoots LEE c-309-180-R very well lubed through a saeco 310 die          gp
What diameter is your mold dropping at? Pat

Attached Files

gpidaho posted this 03 May 2014

Just under .310 with 3 parts ww 2 parts lino plus two pc tin

Attached Files

Pigslayer posted this 03 May 2014

This is an Accurate Molds 170 gr. made specifically for the 30-30 Winchester. Hmmmmmmmmm. Of course I would have whatever changes made that are needed depending on the slugged bore measurements.

Attached Files

onondaga posted this 04 May 2014

Pat,

Accuate Molds has such nice options. Consider a bigger diameter flat nose too... at .260-.270” they really slam meat and punch over deer and hogs like nothing else in 30 cal.

Gary

Attached Files

gunarea posted this 04 May 2014

Hey Pat

I have a NEF in 30-30.  Received as a gift, I have owned this rifle for over twenty years now.  Not sure if there are any significant differences between that and the H&R handi rifles. In my inventory of a dozen different 30 caliber mould designs, there is not a one this rifle shoots poorly. Being a comparatively inexpensive firearm, mine has been lent out many times for whatever to whomever. From varmit control with a 90gr plinker to beginner bench rest pushing a slug twice that weight. My loading file with the NEF is extensive with very few disappointments. It's hard to go wrong choosing 30-30 as a platform for most uses. Bullet selection to match situation seems more critical than accomodating the rifle. Get the handi rifle! 

Roy   

Shoot often, Shoot well

Attached Files

delmarskid1 posted this 04 May 2014

I've never heard of any one getting a Handi-Rifle with a goofy chamber or barrel. They seem to shoot well.

Attached Files

R. Dupraz posted this 04 May 2014

My old Savage 219 30-30 likes to put the RCBS 30-180-SP right next to each other at 50 yds. No need for any crimping when it's one shot at a time. Probably doesn't apply to what you have but it's a 30-30 and you have to break the little beast in half to load every time.

Attached Files

Close