FLARING GAS CHECKS

• 2.6K Views
  • Last Post 07 January 2015
joeb33050 posted this 13 June 2014

FLARING GAS CHECKS   I have had trouble putting some gas checks on some bullets, but only with 22 caliber. In the past I have whacked a round head screw into the gas check, opening it up. This is not an entirely satisfactory flaring method.             I have been having trouble with bullets and checks with a NOE .228 bullet, either small checks or large bullet.             I took a 7/32” steel rod, a file, some gas checks and bullets and filed a bevel on the rod. Filing and trying quickly got me to the point where the beveled rod end flares the gas check so it clicks on to the bullet base. It takes little effort to mash the rod end into the gas check; and is much easier than whacking the round head screw.  

Attached Files

Order By: Standard | Newest | Votes
gnoahhh posted this 13 June 2014

I have had issues with checks fitting certain bullets too. Usually with non-Hornady homemade checks bought off the internet. I'm fortunate to have a lathe on which I turn custom check flaring tools that fit into a tiny arbor press.

Attached Files

m1895g posted this 27 June 2014

I have brazed an an assortment of different sized ball bearings to 4” pieces of 14” drill rod and used these to flair checks for years.

Attached Files

JRR posted this 06 January 2015

Find a drill bit with a shank diameter a couple of thousands larger that the shank of the bullet.  Put the drill in a drill press upside down.  Raise the bed up close to the drill bit.  Press the drill down into the check against the bed to swage it larger.  I use a 6” crescent wrench to just slide over the drill bit to slide down against the check to get it off the end of the bit.  Don't turn on the drill press motor unless you want to spin the check against the bed to really flatten and square the base of the check.

I learned this from the NOE forum.

Jeff

Attached Files

OU812 posted this 06 January 2015

22 Cal gas checks can be flaired easily using hand pressure. I ground and polished a tapered end on regular 1/4” steel rod (home depot). Cut a piece about 4"-6"  then chuck and spin in cordless drill to turn down taper using file and fine sandpaper. I used a Dremel to grind taper while it was spinning in cordless drill, followed with 900-1200 grit sandpaper to polish. Polishing helps check slide off easily after flairing. The Dremel also helped me grind a little concave end on tool for better fit against base of gas check.   I recently flaired about 270 gas checks in less than 30 minutes using this tool. Now gas checks fit all my fatter 22 caliber bullet shanks easily. Adding a piece of wood on end to fit palm of hand will help flairing larger/thicker  caliber gas checks. .

Attached Files

R. Dupraz posted this 06 January 2015

While I like NOE molds and use several, seating GC's can be a problem because of the large GC shanks. After trying different ways to expand the GC's by turning rods, using the ball on a small ball peen hammer and using the bottom end of a boat tail bullet, this is what works best for me.      For 30 cal. bullets, I just sharpened the mouth of a .270 case and then turn the bullet one revolution  at an angle against the mouth of the case. This just breaks the sharp edge on the base of the bullet. Simple, easy, fast and effective.

Attached Files

gpidaho posted this 07 January 2015

OUB12: That is the way I made mine also, just picked a long bolt of the closest size, cut off the threads and the head and beveled it using an old honing stone and my drill press. Got the tip from Ben at Boolits. Works great! GP

Attached Files

Longone posted this 07 January 2015

R. Dupraz wrote    For 30 cal. bullets, I just sharpened the mouth of a .270 case and then turn the bullet one revolution  at an angle against the mouth of the case. This just breaks the sharp edge on the base of the bullet. Simple, easy, fast and effective.

NOE sell a tool on their site to do just what you have done for the cost of a case. If you already have the RCBS case prep station you can use the o/s case chamfer tool as well. There are some other chamfer tools on the market that don't have the center “spud” that will work. I also find that seating a gas check on NOE molds can become frustrating unless you prep either the bullet or the check. http://noebulletmolds.com/NV/productinfo.php?productsid=28&osCsid=6le2h9dcpacc1vbh8mpub3qak0

Longone

Attached Files

Close