Suggestions for a production class rifle to grow into

• 3.4K Views
  • Last Post 16 October 2014
Pentz posted this 17 August 2014

I need to branch out from modified military and am pondering production class.  The Savage BVSS appeals to me, but a local knowledgeable shooter recommends the Tikka Varminter, no longer in production, for it's bore.  I think the Savage success speaks for itself, but has anyone experience with the Tikka?  The .308 varminter is no longer available in the States, but the Tikka T3 Tac appears to have a great bore. 

I don't mind having to grow into a rifle skills-wise.  At 67 there's not alot of time to work with Heavy 30 BR, but I want to be competitive as possible.  Thanks for any replies and opinions.

Attached Files

Order By: Standard | Newest | Votes
Bud Hyett posted this 17 August 2014

The Savage 12BVSS in .308 is the best return on investment for a rifle. I've bought good rifles and some mediocre rifles from all the manufacturers and feel the odds for a good rifle are better with a Savage 12BVSS. You might even find one used and still not shot out.

Alice Gardner put at least 10,000 rounds through one before she wore out the barrel. It still shot well at 100 yards, but not at 200. We sent it back to Savage for a new barrel and it was expensive, but still in Production Class.

This is not to disparage the Tikka, the difference in cost will buy a lot of lead, powder primers and brass for practice.

Farm boy from Illinois, living in the magical Pacific Northwest

Attached Files

Ken Campbell Iowa posted this 17 August 2014

i don't keep up with the rules, but a varmint weight barrel might pop you up a class ... or two. just a thought.

ken

Attached Files

Tom Acheson posted this 17 August 2014

I think my Savage in .308 Win. is a model 12 Low Profile Varminter. If I do my part it shoots very well!

Bought it new in 2007 (same day as the I-35W bridge collapse in Minneapolis). So far 1,791 rounds through it, all CB. At the last two matches the most notable groups were a 0.689” 5-rounder @ 100-yards and a 0.872” 10-rounder @ 100-yards. This is a 184-grain LBT 4-cavity mould over 27.0-grains of that darned expensive VV N-135. Not very close to the CBA National Records but still somewhat competitive.

The challenge....finding a way to have a consistent bench technique with that round fore-end!

My experience with Savage has been good.

Tom

Attached Files

Pentz posted this 18 August 2014

Yeah it points towards the BVSS, seems to be the hot stuff in that class. Thanks...

Attached Files

RicinYakima posted this 18 August 2014

I bought a Savage Model 10 (Police model) 20 inch barrel with a laminated stock the first year they offered the Accu-trigger. It makes the 12 pound rule with a 24 X Leupold scope. FWIW, Ric

Attached Files

Pentz posted this 18 August 2014

Ric,thanks. How does it shoot for you?

Attached Files

RicinYakima posted this 18 August 2014

Originally, not very well (for a possible match rifle) but it helped by firing 25 military 173-grain bullets down the barrel and polishing it with JB bore compound. None of my old stand-by bullets were consistently under an inch. It required the newer bore-riding designs with the 308 Winchester chamber. Both 311644 and 311679 have worked well for me.

I don't shoot it very much, as I got heavily involved in CBA Military Rifle shooting. But it is in the future as my eyesight gets worse and worse.

HTH, Ric

Attached Files

Pentz posted this 19 August 2014

I had to abandon shooting my '96 Krag with a '01 rear sight early this year due to eyesight and a small cataract. Moved to modified military with a scoped 1917 Enfield - nice to be able to shoot well again. Will take your advice under advisement, thanks.

Attached Files

OU812 posted this 15 October 2014

Does the Savage have the 308 NATO chamber with long .150” leade?

Attached Files

RicinYakima posted this 16 October 2014

OU812, mine had the sporting 308 Win chamber throat. Ric

Attached Files

Close