Never seen one

• 3.5K Views
  • Last Post 26 August 2014
csparks1106 posted this 25 August 2014

http://s777.photobucket.com/user/csparks1106/media/Mobile%20Uploads/F0A671D1-A37F-41DA-9405-967FA90E794F.jpg.html>

Attached Files

Order By: Standard | Newest | Votes
Longone posted this 25 August 2014

308 blank.

Attached Files

Longone wrote: 308 blank.

So, what good is it? Any?

Attached Files

donr308 posted this 25 August 2014

Scrap. There are warnings about attempting to reload. Apparently the brass did not go through the same process as that for ammoDon

Attached Files

Are they just training rounds for the military?

Attached Files

R. Dupraz posted this 25 August 2014

Actually it's a 7.62x51 military blank used in the M-14 and M-60 machine gun that are  fitted with blank adapters.   Don't know what manufacturing processes they went through but there is still plenty of inexpensive military ball brass around yet.

Attached Files

Ken Campbell Iowa posted this 25 August 2014

heh, wearing a glove, i could fan my garand-on-blanks about 4 times a second and drive my weasly platoon leader nuts ...

bored troopers are easily entertained...

ken

Attached Files

j35nut posted this 26 August 2014

csparks1106 wrote: Are they just training rounds for the military? Only places I have seen them used are at Military ceremonies like funerals.

-----------J

Attached Files

R. Dupraz posted this 26 August 2014

"Are they just training rounds for the military"?

Yup

Attached Files

JeffinNZ posted this 26 August 2014

A local gunsmith here makes a stretched, high performance .223 Rem out of 5.56mm blank rounds.

Cheers from New Zealand

Attached Files

csparks1106 posted this 26 August 2014

JeffinNZ wrote: A local gunsmith here makes a stretched, high performance .223 Rem out of 5.56mm blank rounds.Interesting. I wonder why you couldn't cut off the end and make a usable .308 round out of it?

Attached Files

vmwilson posted this 26 August 2014

csparks1106 wrote: JeffinNZ wrote: A local gunsmith here makes a stretched, high performance .223 Rem out of 5.56mm blank rounds.Interesting. I wonder why you couldn't cut off the end and make a usable .308 round out of it?Had some years ago and thought I'd make .243's out of em'.  I didn't have case forming dies but rough trimmed them with a tubing cutter.  Seem to remember they were pretty thick in the neck area and used a neck reamer on them.  Finally gave up the idea as it was looking like a lot more bother than it was worth.  Brass ain't that expensive to go thru all that bother and likely should have had the forming dies.

Mike

Attached Files

csparks1106:   Yes sir, been through that drill myself many yrs ago. 243's out of mil 7.62x51 issue match ball brass. They were hard and thick. Had to neck ream.   There is some 7.62x51 blank brass around here somewhere, but never had need nor desire to mess with them because of the availability of regular mil. ball cases. Other things aside, don't think that it's worth the effort to ding around with those blanks. Come to think of it, many things aren't worth the effort any more.

Attached Files

csparks1106 posted this 26 August 2014

I also have some .308 blanks that have no bullets in them, but have an unspent primer and a red plug in them. There is powder in them. When I shake them, I can here the powder shaking around. You mentioned ball brass, as others have. What is ball brass?

Attached Files

Ball brass is a universal term used to describe fired military issue rifle brass  that had been  loaded with a metal jacketed bullet (ball) and a full charge of powder.

Attached Files

Close