Accurate Molds Ed Harris Cowboy Designs In Catalog

• 4.2K Views
  • Last Post 15 October 2014
Ed Harris posted this 12 September 2014

These four designs all use the same form relief cutter, simply adjusting the tooling to cut different diameters per the caliber.  Nose diameter tolerance is negative.  Slight bevel base eases loading, short shank and long nose reduces bullet intrusion into case, reducing jump and increasing powder space.  Grease grooves are small, but adequate for smokeless loads. All four designs 31-114D, 36-155D, 43-225D and 45-245D are in Accurate's online catalog.  http://www.accuratemolds.com/catalog.php Diameters can be tweaked on your orders.

73 de KE4SKY In Home Mix We Trust From the Home of Ed's Red in "Almost Heaven" West Virginia

Attached Files

Order By: Standard | Newest | Votes
giorgio de galleani posted this 13 September 2014

I cannot resist my compulsory buyers illness .

I am a  pathological collector of aluminum gang molds.

I am thinking I'll order a 36-155-D asking   357 bands diameter in wheel weight alloy ,to get a 3575- 358 bullet in my soft alloy of antimony and tin,

I am of the opinion that sizing to 357 is a necessity in bullets destinated to be shot in matches, , as a stoppage due to oversize bullets costs seconds in my steel plate & fun gun pistol matches. 

I have benn given some cast bullets of this design  by ED and they feed  and shoot reliably in my 9 mm 911 pistol clone and a M1-9  Carbine by  Chiappa.

Next  I am going to test a few in the 9mm  double action 986 S&W revolver .

Heavier cast bullets already perform  much better in all my 9 mm guns ,than the usual 125 cast at full speed.

The requested power factor of 130 is more easily met  with slow 150 grainers. 

giorgio de galleani posted this 13 September 2014

See previous picture:

From left:Lee TL TC 130gr ,Lee RN !30 gr , Lee RF 130 , Lee RN 150 gr  and

Accuratemolds  35-147 tumble lube.

Long OAL  9x21 rounds that fit in my  STI 911 clone ,ucing 38Sa magazines ,

A 9x21 round that functions in an old Thompson Auto Ordnance 9  x23  Steyer  pistol. It should feed 9mm Largo and It digests 38 Sa fodder too. A universal 9mm pistol.

The last is a 9x19 Luger jacketed round.

Italian  enlightened gun laws allows 9x19 ammo in revolvers and carbines ,not  semi auto pistols ( which as everybody knows are wicked  instruments of war).

Attached Files

OU812 posted this 15 September 2014

It looks a little like the RCBS 44 or 45 caliber Cowboy bullet. This style bullet has always shot best in my revolvers.   I best it would also shoot verygood in 1911's that have been throted to match angle. What is the angle BTW.

Attached Files

Ed Harris posted this 15 September 2014

Nose radius matters more than the angle.

73 de KE4SKY In Home Mix We Trust From the Home of Ed's Red in "Almost Heaven" West Virginia

Attached Files

You should write a good casting and shooting book Mr. Harris. What works and what doesn't

Attached Files

All Accurate molds are CNC lathe bored. This method makes a more “as cast” round bullet.

Lee molds are also CNC lathe bored...just more pointed options. I raelly like their Harris designs, especially 160gr version. This bullet shoots best in my Remington 700 VS 308 with worn NATO chamber

Attached Files

Keith posted this 23 September 2014

'The front band tolerance is negative'.  I not am not familiar with meaning of the term as it applies to the design.  My interest in the design is that it may fit more easily in some of the 38/357s I shoot than the LBT with the large length of the front band.  The LBT is very accurate if sized to fit but after the chambers are fowled on tighter cylinders function is impaired.  For simplicity I have been only sizing to one diameter for all 38s and 357s.  A second design that avoids this would be nice especially if tumble lubing and no sizing worked. Keith DVM

Attached Files

Ed Harris posted this 23 September 2014

The front band tolerance negative is to ensure ball seat clearance in the 9mm and .38 Super, .38 Colt Auto and 9mm revolvers with tight throats, for which the bullet was designed. The .360 driving bands permit sizing to throat size in .38 S&W or Special or in British and European .380 Rimmed rook rifles and revolvers, in which it also works well.

Attached Files

Keith posted this 23 September 2014

I appreciate the comments Keith DVM

Attached Files

OU812 posted this 15 October 2014

30 or 35 caliber version. Photo retouched

Attached Files

Ed Harris posted this 15 October 2014

If you pull up drawing for 31-114D it is in proper scale.

43-225D is the .44, 45-245D is the .45, the drawings with base dimensions are shown to scale on the Web site. You can tweak dimensions on your orders.

Attached Files

OU812 posted this 15 October 2014

OK here it is. Thanks Ed  

Attached Files

Close