LEE AUTO PRIME XR

• 5.6K Views
  • Last Post 27 September 2014
joeb33050 posted this 19 September 2014

I just primed 29 223 cases and 40 243 cases-my 4th time out with the new LEE AUTO PRIME XR. 40 MINUTES, 25 HANG UPS, ONE PRIMER UPSIDE DOWN, 1 PRIMER STUCK IN THE PLASTIC CLEAR COVER SECRET PLACE. The Lee Auto Prime worked for years with never a hitch. The Zamak single priming tool was an absolute winner. LEE DOESN'T MAKE THEM NOW. The LEE AUTO PRIME XR is the solution to a non-existent problem, and FAILS. Don't the LEE people try their new designs out? How about some DESIGN REVIEW!

Attached Files

Order By: Standard | Newest | Votes
Maven posted this 19 September 2014

Your experience with the new Lee hand priming tool is very similar to mine, Joe:  don't know what they were smoking and/or ingesting to come up with that design.

Attached Files

RicinYakima posted this 19 September 2014

There is a reason the old Lee cast Zamak tools sell for $25 on Ebay and shell holders for $10. Ric

Attached Files

Pentz posted this 19 September 2014

Another item to look for at shows.

Attached Files

4060may posted this 19 September 2014

Same experience, also the Mickey Mouse clip that hold the cover broke and the primers slip out from underneath...to the floor..at least then they don't go in backwards

A reasonable tool..not cheap..K&M precision primer seater

Graf's have them,

Attached Files

Maven posted this 19 September 2014

To cite a specific example, earlier this afternoon I tried to prime 30 .30-06 cases with <30> Wolf Large Pistol primers*...using the new, “improved” Lee priming tool:  Not one would feed.  I removed the primers from the new tool tray, put them in the older Auto Prime (round tray) and hadn't a single problem.  The new Lee tool is an abomination!:X

*I'm using plain base CB's with 9.2 - 9.3gr. Unique.

Attached Files

joeb33050 posted this 20 September 2014

I wrote to Lee, then tried to prime some 308 cases, then gave up. With the Huntingdon Die specialties compac press the priming went fast and easy.The Lee prime tool is a dud.

Attached Files

Paul Pollard posted this 20 September 2014

Joe,

Please send me your Lee priming tool. PM me for address details.

Paul

Attached Files

Shell holders? Waddaya need?

Attached Files

Paul Pollard wrote: Joe,

Please send me your Lee priming tool. PM me for address details.

Paul

Just send me your address, you don't need me to ask you for your address. Do you? Am I missing something?

Attached Files

donr308 posted this 20 September 2014

Joe, found out a shortcoming on the old Lee Auto Prime that I never thought about back when I used it regularly. Recently, I wanted to load a batch of .223. The cases were all ready to load except for priming. I have a tool head for .223 for my Dillon 550B but since I was using an extruded powder I wanted to weigh charges. The old Lee was on a shelf above the loading bench and I decided to use it rather than handle every primer. I primed 25 cases and then decided to check them using a K&M priming tool that I've used for years. There was obvious movement of the primer for every single case as they were seated to the bottom of the primer pocket. I wonder what that did for accuracy back when I used it? The Lee is now retired for good.Don Ross      

Attached Files

joeb33050 posted this 22 September 2014

donr308 wrote: Joe, found out a shortcoming on the old Lee Auto Prime that I never thought about back when I used it regularly. Recently, I wanted to load a batch of .223. The cases were all ready to load except for priming. I have a tool head for .223 for my Dillon 550B but since I was using an extruded powder I wanted to weigh charges. The old Lee was on a shelf above the loading bench and I decided to use it rather than handle every primer. I primed 25 cases and then decided to check them using a K&M priming tool that I've used for years. There was obvious movement of the primer for every single case as they were seated to the bottom of the primer pocket. I wonder what that did for accuracy back when I used it? The Lee is now retired for good.Don Ross      Thanks, Don. I wrote about this here in the past. When it wears, the Lee Auto Prime lever bottoms out before the primer is fully seated. This has to do with the design and metal/plastic of the parts. Worn = primer not seated.While fumbling with the XR I thought that it had one redeeming feature:the lever is stopped by the primer seating LONG before the lever could bottom out. Lee fixed the old Auto Prime problem. Now if the XR just worked!

Attached Files

TRKakaCatWhisperer posted this 22 September 2014

I've used .002 .003 .004” brass shims in the toggle joint successfully. Been a while. It was cheaper then to buy a good used one.

Attached Files

joeb33050 posted this 22 September 2014

I have the XR packed to send to Paul, then got this from Lee. I'm going to unpack it and try it following the instructions more closely. I will then report. Sorry for the delay, Paul.joe b.

Hey Joe,Complaints on the new Auto Prime XR tool universally come from long time users of the Auto Prime.The priming pin, nylon locating area and body is virtually identical to the original. The elevator pin and flash gate have been added to allow the tool to more safely handle today's more sensitive primers. The original Auto-Prime was down to only CCI and Remington primers being safe to use.The big difference in operation of the new Auto Prime XR verses the original Auto-Prime, is that the new tool does not have a “head” of primers to push the primer onto the priming pin. To allow for this lack of “head,” one must always maintain the tool in a position that always allows the primer to feed to the primer pin. At any time during the operation you allow the tool to rotate backwards towards oneself the primer against the flash gate, it will return to the elevator pin and tip or stack onto the next primer. Also if you don't maintain the 45 degree down hill position during the priming operation, the next primer in line for the elevator pin will enter only half way onto the elevator pin. When this primer rises, it likely will catch the bottom of the cover and dislodge the cover or tip.We don't have any of the old auto primes available, I apologize for the inconvenience.Sincerely,RaquelLee Precision, Inc.

Attached Files

Michael K posted this 22 September 2014

I have gone through several of the old model Lee Auto Primes over the years. When my last once began to give out I started looking around.  Never did find consistently good reviews on their newer Auto Prime products.  I looked at a couple and I was not impressed.     To make a long story short after several weeks of looking around a RCBS Universal Hand Priming Tool found its way home with me.  Yep, it cost more than the Lee, you betcha.  Is it the perfect hand priming tool, opinions will vary.  Do I regret my purchase, not in the least.  For larger dia. cases or when a more substantial unit is needed, its bench mounted cousin as served well for the last 25 years.   Michael

Attached Files

joeb33050 posted this 23 September 2014

I was WRONG!!I just primed 170 223 cases after reaming the primer pockets. NOT A HICCUP!!!The secret is holding the Auto Prime XR at a ~ 45 degree angle. Hold it flat and it jams etc. Hold it at 45 degrees and it works flawlessly.See steps 8 and 9, it's clear but I didn't get it. Sorry, Lee!joe b. 

Attached Files

John Alexander posted this 23 September 2014

I went though the same cycle as Joe.  I had a lot of trouble with the Lee Auto Prime XR, finally reread the instructions and learned to operate it right (holding at 45 degrees) and it works flawlessly.    I didn't get in this conversation earlier because I thought you were talking about the Lee Ergo Prime which I believe has the same guts in a different configuration -- again a reading problem.

Lee could improve things a bit by finding a tougher plastic for the cover.  I broke one of the two little clips off that holds it in place.  Then as I thought I was being very careful not to break the second I broke it too. I now use a stiff rubber band which may work a bit better than the clips but is a little slower. John  

Attached Files

mike0841 posted this 23 September 2014

Joe and John,   I just ordered an XR priming tool because of your glowing reviews.  I hope it works as good as you guys stated.  Remember it's not good to fool Mister Webmaster.   Mike

Attached Files

John Alexander posted this 23 September 2014

mike0841 wrote: Joe and John,   I just ordered an XR priming tool because of your glowing reviews.  I hope it works as good as you guys stated.  Remember it's not good to fool Mister Webmaster.   Mike If all else fails, read the instructions. John

Attached Files

Paul Pollard posted this 24 September 2014

Mike,

I got my XR priming tool at the 2013 Nationals as a door prize. I read the directions and was apprehensive after reading of “problems” other people were having with it. The round priming tool was not coming back, so I decided to learn how to use the square one.

I fiddled with it and checked how it worked. It would not feed an upside-down primer in the final approach slot. It fed one primer at a time.

After priming 5000 cases with it, I feel it is a good tool. These were all small rifle primers. CCI 450, Fed 205M, Win SR and Rem 7.5. No problems. Use it with confidence.

Paul

Attached Files

LWesthoff posted this 24 September 2014

I've never used any Lee Autoprime tools, so I can't comment on them. however, I DID use an RCBS hand priming tool for a while. I got rid of it because I had to keep adding shims to keep seating the primers fully. The rod that pushed the primers kept getting shorter. I do have big hands, and I did milk cows when I was a teenager, but I'm in my late 80's now and I think I'll have to blame the tool instead of my “super” grip.

Anyway, I wound up buying a Lyman Ram Prime tool. It sits on the top of my old Herter's C Press, it's infinitely adjustable, it doesn't seem to take much longer to prime a bunch of cases than a hand held tool, and I am quite happy with it.

Wes

Attached Files

Show More Posts
Close