New member southeast Missouri

• 2.2K Views
  • Last Post 07 October 2014
jniedbalski posted this 28 September 2014

I have been casting black powder bullets for about15 years. The last few years I have bought 6or 7 pistole bullet molds. I just got in a lee 160 2R .312 mold for my military riffles. Going to try at loading cast for my Molsen and enfield 303 . After I read Edd Harri's articles on shooting them I had to have one .  

Attached Files

Order By: Standard | Newest | Votes
tturner53 posted this 28 September 2014

Welcome to the forum. I started out with muzzle loaders and casting round balls. You can have a lot of fun working with the two guns you mentioned.

Attached Files

jniedbalski posted this 28 September 2014

I plan on having fun and shooting a lot . I have my sks also to load for. The article of Edd harris really got me wanting to cast a lot and also Elmer Keith with his bullet designs and hunting with them  

Attached Files

delmarskid1 posted this 28 September 2014

Glad you have the bug. I think you have a good start. I like the looks of that bullet. If I weren't knee deep in moulds I'd give that one a whirl. It's a nice bullet for broad implication.

Attached Files

jniedbalski posted this 29 September 2014

The mold looks well made . I wish it had a plane base instead of the one for the gas check.Edd Harris uses them as is so they should be good to go . I cast about 100 today and they look great. All I have to do now is get some 2400 powder and start loading  

Attached Files

CB posted this 03 October 2014

I've been using .060 - .065 thick PVC under GC bullets without  the checks for several years and they shoot every bit as good as PB (or even checked ) CB's.  I've reported it in detail a few years ago in TFS, but haven't convinced anyone to try it (and report results) which puzzles me.  It is easy, fun, and cheap.  Once I shot hundreds of them at the same range, I began finding fired ones all over the place, and re-used them for a test, and they performed perfectly.  They are easier to deal with than applying ordinary gas checks.  Ideally, they will be cut .003 - .005 larger than bullet size and thumbed into case mouths just before seating the bullets.  Speeds up bullet seating too, since the bullet bases sit straight on the wads, instead of tending to cock to one side unless held and guided into the seater die.  If anyone is interested, I'll look thru my TFS back issues and find which one it was. 

Attached Files

CB posted this 03 October 2014

I"n new to the forum, would someone tell me where to log in so that my by-line will indicate that I am on-line?

Attached Files

gpidaho posted this 03 October 2014

jniedbalski:  The Lee CTL312-160-2R works very well in my fat thirty's.  I also shoot it sized .311 in my .308  Handi rifle.   Best groups with this mould out of the five 30cal. moulds I own in the .308   GP

Attached Files

mike0841 posted this 04 October 2014

Mustafa,

When you log on to the forum it automatically sets your status to online for all to see.  0nce you logon to the forum it places a cookie to automatically log you on.  If you have trouble logging on just delete this cookie.

Attached Files

jniedbalski posted this 07 October 2014

I would like to try the PVC gas checks what do you use to make them out of?

Attached Files

CB posted this 07 October 2014

There are probably other sources, but I got mine from (sorry, I didn't have internet/eMail capability at the time) Lange Containment Systems,  5150 Race Court,  Denver, Co  80216. Admittedly, what he offers is scraps/remnants of the material they furnish and install in land-fills, waste-chemical lagoons, etc. , so it is (was?) just a sympathetic sideline for bullet-casters like me, but what they send  is a box of coiled strips maybe 5” wide, by about 48” long. In total, somewhat more than the nominal amount they sell.  I Suggest you write to them at that address , and in the meantime if you povide a USPS mailing adress, I will gladly send you a sample (enough for a viable test - say 100 30 cal. CB's?  The stuff is so inexpensive, all I consider is how much of it I can get into an envelope before postage gets substantial.  In addition, best you go to the nearest “Harbor Freight” store, and get a $6 set of their hollow gasket punches. Oddly, the standard diameter line-up fits our bullet needs remarkably well, but if you have the facilities, those punches can easily be enlarged (and razor-sharpened at the same time).  My most effective method has been to fix a slab of nylon plate to the bed of even the cheapest bench-top drillpress, chuck the selected punch, and adjust chuck/spindle travel to just cut the wads cleanly at full-stroke.  The drill-press is NOt turned on or rotating in this task - it merely functions as a more convenint arbor press.I Have discovered a couple of fine points to this process, beginning with polishing the inside of the punch to get the wad diameter I like-generally.003-.005 larger than bullet size

Attached Files

Close