LEE COLLET DIES

• 4.2K Views
  • Last Post 06 October 2014
joeb33050 posted this 04 October 2014

I just tried the 308 Win Lee Collet Die again and no workee.Wverything is clean and the collet is free. 3 different lots of brassWith no case, the shell holder goes up, touches the collet, resistance, goes up maybe 3/16” with resistance, stops.With a case in the shell holder goes up, touches the collet, stops.With the decapper out, same thing.With the die out of the press, the case goes all the way in lthe die ess ~ 1/8".I've had this die apart a dozen times, cleaned and checked.For some reason the shell holder, with a case in, stops before the collet is squozen, and force ain't the solution. i tried.anyone?

Attached Files

Order By: Standard | Newest | Votes
4060may posted this 04 October 2014

If there is dirt in the slots of the collet, it will not work I usually clean the slots with 320 grit wet dry sandpaper folded over

Attached Files

joeb33050 posted this 04 October 2014

4060may wrote: If there is dirt in the slots of the collet, it will not work I usually clean the slots with 320 grit wet dry sandpaper folded over

I cleaned the slots, run a doubled piece of paper through them. The paper came out clean, slots were open.

Attached Files

Wineman posted this 04 October 2014

I believe that using the die without a case may damage the collet by forcing the petals together. You could try to gently pry the slots open a bit further. On my 308 LCD they are 0.024” apart at the top. I also use a good dab of grease on the outside of the collet where it rubs on the collar. You need a good 25 lb of push on the press handle. Be careful though, too much force will shove the top off the die (made to do that for safety).

Dave

Attached Files

onondaga posted this 04 October 2014

http://www.castbulletassoc.org/view_user.php?id=3>joeb33050

I suspect the “some reason” you have is damage to the die from closing the press without a shell in the holder. The die should be set so the collet functions per instructions. If your collet does not activate from the shell holder and then go into the die and size the neck with the closing of the collet then die damage is preventing your die from functioning correctly.

You can check die function off the press BY HAND. Hold the die in hand and press the collet at the bottom of the die against a table top. you should be able to push against the spring action of the collet and push the collet into the die about 1/16” . Then upon releasing your pushing on the die, the collet should spring back out to it's normal resting position. This functional check of the die not working indicates the die is damaged.

You may be able to fix it by adjusting the damaged collet for correct spring action. The problem may also be grit in the die or a marred finish inside the die. If you cannot adjust function to the collet, I don't recommend polishing anything yourself. Send it back to Lee with a full explanation. They will repair the die.

This is a simple spring action collet activated by a press with a shell in a shell holder. If you are not getting any spring action, the die is damaged and the collet is out of adjustment.

The most common reason for the problem you have is the die owner polishing the fit  that regulates collet function out of specification. Or, jamming the die all the way closed with no shell in the shell holder and damaging the factory setting of the collet and bending it out of the range of being springy. This is not new news, Loaders not following Lee instructions for die setup easily damage the delicate collet finger springy fit inside the die the first time they close their press with no shell in the holder. You have stated the classic complaint for doing exactly that to your own die all by yourself..

An additional way a Lee Collet die may be damaged is to ruin the springy temper of the collet by abuse incorrectly adjusting the collet and destroying the temper that provides springiness to the part. When that damage is done the collet does not have an at rest position with any springiness left. The collet has been ruined and should be replaced. Not following directions and repeatedly damaging these dies will cause repeated frustrating damage to these dies and a non justified dissatisfaction with these wonderful dies.

An alternate way to abuse and damage these dies is to operate the die without the mandrel in place. This will cause loss of springiness to the collet and ruin the part.

Lee is extraordinarily user friendly to loaders that ruin these dies and returning the die with a complaint generally  gets  abused dies replaced or repaired for free.

Gary

Attached Files

billwnr posted this 04 October 2014

Throw the Lee collet die in the trash and get a Redding neck bushing die.

Attached Files

Redding neck bushing dies  get trashed worse for pushing necks back, poor concentricity and the need for neck turning when chambers or brass are not spot on dimension. They can work well but abusive misuse use gets horrible results from both brands.

Gary

Attached Files

billwnr posted this 04 October 2014

It helps if the brass is neck turned or LAPUA brass. A neck bushing wouldn't help much with Winchester or Remington bulk brass. Necks get pushed back when the die isn't set up to the correct case dimensions. I would think/hope that a rookie shooter wouldn't use the bushing dies with out understanding the purpose of them first.

I use the bushing dies and think they are the best thing since sliced bread. I have used the Lee collet dies and don't care for them. Too much variation in neck tension unrelated to brass hardness. I also understand the phrase, “you can lead a horse to water but can't make him drink.”  I don't have you in mind, Gary.

Attached Files

http://castbulletassoc.org/view_user.php?id=182>billwnr

Throw your Lee collet dies out and continue recommending that people unhappy with them do the same. That will have a humanitarian cost saving effect due abusive loaders that don't get free repairs or replacements from misuse and help Lee to control cost for more sincere and skilled loaders that follow directions. Then everybody wins.

Gary

Attached Files

gpidaho posted this 04 October 2014

MY only Lee collet neck die is the one in .308. It works very well, in fact I plan on buying others.  I have used the Redding Bushing dies for quite some time and believe them to be a better choice if you neck turn your brass, too much variance if you don't JMHO   I can't see why people insist on running the press ram up into the base of the Lee collet with no case present.  The instructions clearly state that the die will be damaged.  My alternate neck sizing method, and it's pretty fool proof is to size the case in a Lee Whack-A-Mole die then use a Lyman M-die once again if you do a proper job of neck turning you can eliminate the M-Die and simply flare the case mouth. GP

Attached Files

http://www.castbulletassoc.org/view_user.php?id=182>billwnr

” Too much variation in neck tension unrelated to brass hardness." That is related to instructions and work methods and is covered well in the instructions.

If your work methods do not include inside neck cleaning and consistent press operation, neck tension will suffer. A custom size mandrel based on brass and bullets you send to Lee is also available from Lee that can be made to work with non standard or out of spec brass or bullet lots.

The Lee Collet dies are designed to work well on normal standard brass up to specks that has been fire formed in your firearm before using the Lee Collet die. Bullets up to specified diameter is also very important. If you vary from that and expect excellent results, you won't fool yourself or the dies.

Brittle overworked brass or incorrectly annealed over soft brass should not be expected to behave the same as good brass in good fire formed condition. Neck tension will suffer and you won't fool yourself or the dies trying to work out of parameter of the tool design.

Gary

Attached Files

Ken Campbell Iowa posted this 04 October 2014

hi joe, i have a unused lee collet die for 308 W. that i would trade you for yours . if you want, i will send it down. pm me if

ken

Attached Files

LWesthoff posted this 04 October 2014

I use Lee Collet Dies for both my Issue O3-A3 and my Production class .308W Savage. Wouldn't trade them for anything. As I've said before, while I'm not really sold on most of Lee's stuff, I think the collet dies are the best idea he ever had.

Maybe we old guys have learned to read the directions before we start using the tool?

Wes

Attached Files

joeb33050 posted this 05 October 2014

It just started working. I cleaned inside and outside of every part, about eleven times. Just now I took q-tips to it, synthetic oil, cleaned the collet spaces with paper for the 19th time, put it in the press and it's working. Perhaps because it's Sunday? Thanks for all the comments and suggestions. I'll be back if it quits again.joe b.

Attached Files

onondaga posted this 05 October 2014

http://castbulletassoc.org/view_user.php?id=3>joeb33050

They don't quit if you take reasonable care of them. The collet can get temporarily stuck in the up position like yours did from a speck of dirt. They, unfortunately, are a sensitive tool with a delicate spring action part that has to work freely to operate correctly.

My simple remedy may also be helpful: I take the cap off over a waste barrel, vigorously spray WD40 into both ends and then high pressure air gun thoroughly blast dry, fluffy swab the inside lightly with RemOil and get back to work.

I hope everybody learned something about Lee Collet Neck Sizing Dies, you did stir up some conversation as usual.

Gary

Attached Files

joeb33050 posted this 05 October 2014

onondaga wrote: http://castbulletassoc.org/view_user.php?id=3>joeb33050

They don't quit if you take reasonable care of them. The collet can get temporarily stuck in the up position like yours did from a speck of dirt. They, unfortunately, are a sensitive tool with a delicate spring action part that has to work freely to operate correctly.  Let me make this perfectly clear. The collet DID NOT stick in the up or any other position. The collet didn't stick. NOT. It's a collet, not a watch. collets are strong and not prone to break or exceed the elastic limit-Hooke's law works like a charm. Think about the Forster case trimmer and collets. My simple remedy may also be helpful: I take the cap off over a waste barrel, vigorously spray WD40 into both ends and then high pressure air gun thoroughly blast dry, fluffy swab the inside lightly with RemOil and get back to work.

I hope everybody learned something about Lee Collet Neck Sizing Dies, you did stir up some conversation as usual.

Gary

Attached Files

http://www.castbulletassoc.org/view_user.php?id=3>joeb33050

Well, then I go back to my original summary. Your die didn't just start working because it was Sunday. Your die was abused and your subsequent handling brought the collet back to functioning and you don't realize what you have done. The fingers of the collet will bend when the die is setup or used incorrectly and then the collet will not have the springiness to function.

You inadvertently adjusted it back to functioning and called it happenstance from dissemble and cleaning. That is misleading to people considering buying one of these dies. They aren't that complex and they don't possess luckiness on Sundays.

I don't know if you followed the recommendation I gave you years ago on these dies and if you haven't, I repeat it to you and any others desiring to completely understand this Lee Collet Neck Sizing Die design far beyond the instructions in the box.

Search, read and study US Patent #4,723,472

But I sincerely bet you desire more drama on this issue and you have used your usual manner stirring me up for just that. I like these dies and I shoot better because of them. They are easy for me to use and I have no trouble with them. It was challenging for me to learn how they work and adjust them when they first appeared on the market. I got past that and I hope you can too.

Gary

Attached Files

Brodie posted this 05 October 2014

Gary;  Joe does not require drama about any issue he requires Drammy about all issues.  This is what makes Joe happy.  If he can't jump up and down and yell a lot he is miserable.  It is usually best to just let him do this as trying to adjust his behavior is like trying to stop a Donkey from throwing a fit.  You can do it but doing so is perilous to the practitioner.  Brodie

B.E.Brickey

Attached Files

http://www.castbulletassoc.org/view_user.php?id=1118>Old Coot

I know this and have been warned by two site monitors and over a dozen members. I have some haters too that don't appreciate dazzling facts and educational guidance. Such is life but I do believe Joe is a decent man with good intentions. His methods are just much different than mine.

Gary

Attached Files

Brodie posted this 06 October 2014

You may be right Gary, but somehow I just have a hard time rationalizing his tantrums. Brodie

B.E.Brickey

Attached Files

joeb33050 posted this 06 October 2014

Some shooters swear by the Lee Collet Dies, some swear at them. I've tried to make them work since 2003 or before, without any satisfaction. Because others seem to have such good luck with them, I keep trying, over and over-figuring that I must be at fault. I understand the instructions and I understand how the collet works. I have 223 and 308 dies now, my second set of each. I've also had, as I remember, 243 and 22-250 dies. Neck sizing without lubing necks, extending case life and eliminating the need for annealing would be great. I just can't make them work.You'll note that I'm not alone in my frustration with Lee Collet Dies. Lee makes some great tools. The original Lee Loader is wonderful. But, like the priming tool, it appears that there's a trick to making collet dies work, and I haven't mastered the trick.If that's drama, so be it. I'm prepared to punch TS cards.

Attached Files

Close