twist rate

• 3.4K Views
  • Last Post 08 October 2014
gpidaho posted this 06 October 2014

Can anyone out there tell me what twist rate it would require to stabilize a 35cal. bullet that weighs 240gr.  is .545 from base to the front of the driving bands and 1.040 from the flat point nose to the base.  Thanks   GP

Attached Files

Order By: Standard | Newest | Votes
jhalcott posted this 06 October 2014

what speed are you planning to send these? google “greenhill formula” for a good answer

Attached Files

Jhalcott:   Thanks, greenhill formula is what I couldn't bring to mind.   GP

Attached Files

joeb33050 posted this 06 October 2014

Greenhill says 18.4” twist, call it 18".

Thanks Joe.  I just got done looking over the Greenhill charts in the  Cast Bullets for beginner & expert book and it looks like things will work as both my 35s have 1 in 16 barrels.  Picked up a Saeco #352 mould half price on boolits swapping site now to see how it works out  In both 35 barrels the bullet nose is a very nice fit in the bore, just snug enough to leave a slight etch.  A new project to keep me entertained.   GP

Attached Files

gpidaho wrote: Thanks Joe.  I just got done looking over the Greenhill charts in the  Cast Bullets for beginner & expert book and it looks like things will work as both my 35s have 1 in 16 barrels.  Picked up a Saeco #352 mould half price on boolits swapping site now to see how it works out  In both 35 barrels the bullet nose is a very nice fit in the bore, just snug enough to leave a slight etch.  A new project to keep me entertained.   GPWe have other formulas, but I've never seen a case where Greenhill fails, up to ~300 yards.Good luck, keep us informed.

Attached Files

R. Dupraz posted this 06 October 2014

JBM Ballistics has an on line stability calculator plus some other stuff.

Attached Files

R. Dupraz wrote: JBM Ballistics has an on line stability calculator plus some other stuff.I've never seen a case where Greenhill fails, up to ~ 300 yards, maybe further. Clever fellows do arithmetic to ballistics without adding much of anything to to body of knowledge. The fact that the mathematics is incomprehensible does not mean that it is worthwhile.There IS a difference between BS and real life.  

Attached Files

R. Dupraz posted this 06 October 2014

Just another reference joe.

If you are looking for some more verbal judo, keep on looking! I am not impressed.

Attached Files

Ed Harris posted this 06 October 2014

FWIW, my Winchester 1894 in .35/.30-30 was relined witha 16” twist and stabilizes an LBT .362-260FN bullet which is an inch long, at subsonic velocity with 8 grains of Bullseye.

73 de KE4SKY In Home Mix We Trust From the Home of Ed's Red in "Almost Heaven" West Virginia

Attached Files

gpidaho posted this 07 October 2014

Okay Guys this may get overly long winded so feel free to ignore this New B post if you like. I have a new to me 35cal. mould, a Saeco #352 it is a RNFP that weighs 240gr. when cast with my alloy. It is 1.040 from base to flat nose when cast with my alloy.  I have two 35cal. Handi rifle barrels, one 357mag one 35Rem. and would like to get one or both to work with this bullet. In the 357 when you drop a bullet in the bore and measure back you get 1.140 which means at max. COL  you would have a seating depth of only .140 in a 1.280 case. Not good.  On the other hand when using the same technique with the 35Rem. you end up with a bullet seated .498 deep in the 1.915 case at max. COL  this leaves the entire gas check and most of the first driving band below the case neck. Really not good. So a bullet I had hoped might work in both barrels doesn't seem well suited to either, which is too bad as the nose of this bullet fits both perfectly. Am I missing something obvious  to the more experienced?  Thoughts and ideas please.  GP

Attached Files

Ken Campbell Iowa posted this 07 October 2014

i am not sure there is any problem with a 1/8 in. seating depth in your 357 mag., especially in a single shot. i have used ~0.050 many times. unless i am missing something.

on your 35 rem., first, it MIGHT be ok to seat that deep ... giver a try.

then, two approaches:: ( 1 ) get a bullet squozer and squoze the nose down to * bore * diameter far enough to seat out .. bumping die.

( 2 ) . find a starving gunsmith with a throat reamer and ream a tight but longer throat for your desired bullet. you probably need to buy the custom made throater, then keep it. your reamer,smithy should charge $30.

funny i thought throats were all long on the hr handi-rifles. did you do a chamber casting or lead slug upset ?

crap everybody has a 35 remmy but me. i saved back a hunnert cases for me ... someday. hey, i got a new midway 357 barrel ...

ken

Attached Files

joeb33050 posted this 07 October 2014

gpidaho wrote: Okay Guys this may get overly long winded so feel free to ignore this New B post if you like. I have a new to me 35cal. mould, a Saeco #352 it is a RNFP that weighs 240gr. when cast with my alloy. It is 1.040 from base to flat nose when cast with my alloy.  I have two 35cal. Handi rifle barrels, one 357mag one 35Rem. and would like to get one or both to work with this bullet. In the 357 when you drop a bullet in the bore and measure back you get 1.140 which means at max. COL  you would have a seating depth of only .140 in a 1.280 case. Not good.  On the other hand when using the same technique with the 35Rem. you end up with a bullet seated .498 deep in the 1.915 case at max. COL  this leaves the entire gas check and most of the first driving band below the case neck. Really not good. So a bullet I had hoped might work in both barrels doesn't seem well suited to either, which is too bad as the nose of this bullet fits both perfectly. Am I missing something obvious  to the more experienced?  Thoughts and ideas please.  GPI have never found or read a reliable report of seating depth having an effect on accuracy. If the nose on a bore rider engraves, and if a band seals the throat, from “gas-check-well-below-the-neck” to “gas-check-only-in-the-neck", they all seem to shoot accurately. All at ~1400-1600 fps, I know nothing about HV cast loads. I favor just the gc in the neck because it seems that the bullet aligns in the throat-but i cn't prove it. Load and shoot-then tell us.

Attached Files

gpidaho posted this 08 October 2014

Mr. Joe B,Alcott, Dupraz, Harris and Campbell. Thank you all for the time taken to encourage me on this 35cal. project.  I haven't tried seating below  the neck before as most loads so far have had the opposit problem(hard to get them seated out far enough to suit me in the Handi rifles) Loaded up a few today and will let you all know how it goes, again thanks.  Friends and I took a 14yr. old young man out this afternoon to scope in his new 06 as he will be heading out with all tomorrow night on an Idaho deer hunt,Iwon't make it along this time maybe later. Good to see the enthusiasm in the group all of us hoping he does well.   GP

Attached Files

Close