light loads for >.222-.223

• 3.2K Views
  • Last Post 10 October 2014
frank l jr posted this 07 October 2014

AM LOOKING FOR A LOAD FOR ABOVE USING 50 GR b Bator slug. would like to be about like a cb cap load. need to thin out cat squielrs in my neighborhood, need to be QUITE, SOME DON'T BELIVE IN PEST COMTROL.  Thanks  FL JR

Attached Files

Order By: Standard | Newest | Votes
onondaga posted this 07 October 2014

http://castbulletassoc.org/view_user.php?id=4045>frank l jr

Your biggest challenge will be propellant selection to get that low in velocity. It may not be possible safely.  You go so far down in velocity and the bullets just stop in the bore.

I have had success at near subsonic velocity in .223 with the Lyman 225646 gas check bullet cast in Lyman #2 alloy. I get an all up weight of 60 grains and with 3.0 grains Hodgdon TiteGroup they clock at ~1120 fps from a single shot NEF Handi-Rifle.

Hodgdon brags that this TighGroup powder works well in large capacity cases with tiny charges. For me that makes it the only powder suitable for your application and I suggest you try it. If you go lower than 3 grains your bullets are pretty likely to stop in the bore before getting out the muzzle. Use a lot of caution, listen for any shot that sounds different or doesn't print a hole in paper. You are on the edge of disaster with this type of load.

Gary

Attached Files

John Alexander posted this 07 October 2014

I agree with Gary both that TiteGroup works well, and that the danger is getting a bullet stuck.  I think you can improve your odds by using an alloy much softer than #2 and leaving the gas checks off.  Your lighter bullet may also help a bit.

22 air rifle pellets with only primer power are OK for starlings at short range but probably a little light for your game.

If you give up on the 222, CCI's CB longs may fit the bill in your rimfire.  A pickup load of raccoons have expired at our bird feeder after being expose to that product.

John

Attached Files

Ken Campbell Iowa posted this 07 October 2014

you could up the load a hair to 800 fps or so and then use one of those oil-filter mufflers lika i see on u-tube.

i used to dispatch stray cats that ate our quail ... used my 257 weatherby; i found that very very humane.

ken

Attached Files

RicinYakima posted this 07 October 2014

My 222 Martini shoots Lyman 223438 un-sized and dip lubed without gas check with 4.0 grains of SR7625; de-prime / re-prime and push bullet into neck, no sizing. Good groups at 25 yards, but it is super sonic. FWIW, Ric

Attached Files

delmarskid1 posted this 07 October 2014

I have driven 22 air gun pellets with just the primers in my 218 bee. Dead quiet. Power was about like a cb cap. They made a good dent in a metal trash can.

Attached Files

mike morrison posted this 08 October 2014

223 modified to accept a shotgun primer and a 22cal airgun pellet. It will accomplish your need.

Attached Files

frank l jr posted this 09 October 2014

thanks guys, as per my expection, ya'll came through. I've been out of pocket for a while. a little set of medical problems.seems to be ok as of now. appreciate it. see ya Frank Vance

Attached Files

frank l jr posted this 09 October 2014

out of a distant cloud comes a long missed name. Ken C from Delta cars. been a while since I have seen your handle.  I miss the good old days with your lovely lady. Georgia ,brother, and Arthouro, Bob Murphy. Paul, Suellen, and on and on. miss those days. long gone.  hope you and yours are well, we keep on saying GOOD  Morning and keep on going on.  be well   Frank Vance,Jr.

Attached Files

donr308 posted this 09 October 2014

A load that I used years ago to eliminate garden eating chipmunks and migratory jays was the old Lyman 22596 with no gas check and 1/2 gr. of Bullseye. I used a Ruger #1 and dropping the hammer on an empty chamber made more noise than firing a round. Doubt if it would make any difference but I used Alox lub. Had zero problems with a bullet sticking in the barrel. Do not under estimate the power of this round. Fired into a soft pine 1” board it goes all the way through and splinters out the back. Accuracy and trajectory are fine to at least 25 yds. 1st photo I've tried on new system. Hope it come through Don RossIMG_0981 The targets and grey squirrels were shot with the same bullet gas checked and 4 1/2 Unique.      

Attached Files

Ken Campbell Iowa posted this 10 October 2014

frank vance jr::  wow, nice to hear from you !  yep, those were precious days; back when u.s. was selling stuff to china !!  great people.  i get asked a lot if i don't feel guilty about having so much fun ;;:  ” not for one second !!  it tells us what life in america was, could,  and should be !! “.

i am retired now, just work on old corvairs and build and shoot old guns ... hey !  corvairs are full of lead too !!

pm me sometime, got any photos from those times ?

ken

Attached Files

Close