Primer pocket swager.

• 7K Views
  • Last Post 23 June 2016
Pigslayer posted this 14 October 2014

Looking to buy a primer pocket swager. Have been eying the RCBS Swager combo #2. Any input as far as best brand to buy would be appreciated.   Pat

If someone else had of done to me what I did to myself . . . I'd have killed him. Humility is an asset. Heh - heh.

Attached Files

Order By: Standard | Newest | Votes
cityboy posted this 14 October 2014

Several years ago I used the RCBC swage and it worked good and was happy with it. Prior to getting the swagger I used a Lyman primer pocket reamer and was not happy with the results. Jim  

Attached Files

R. Dupraz posted this 14 October 2014

I have had one of those for over forty years. I got it back then to make .222's from GI .223 brass and .243's from 7.62x51 cases for my varmint rifles. Just looked at the RCBS swagers again and they appear to still be the exact same kit   Back then I found that while they do work, They didn't move enough metal to make a proper radius at the entrance to the PP. And a tiny ridge was left at the transition from the outside radius into the pocket. This made the swaged pocket pretty tough on new primers as they were seated. Lots of distortion.    Last winter, I had occasion to use the swager again. This time on a bunch of GI issue “06” brass. Same thing. So recently I bought a simple Horndy PP reamer and have gone back through the PP's on all that brass again. Much better transition and much easier seat of the new primers. No distortion.    Would I buy an RCBS swager again, No. I personally would look for a reamer. Keep in mind that the newer RCBS kits may be different. Don't know. Still wouldn't change my opinion though.   Also, I have found that there can be some variation occasionally in those military Primer pockets. This reamer took care of that. Not pushing the Hornady , however think that any quality PP reamer\uniformer will do the same.

Attached Files

norm posted this 14 October 2014

Pigslayer, I've got an RCBS primer pocket swager and don't really like it. Had problems getting it adjusted. Disliked it enough that I bought a Wilson primer pocket reamer since already had the Wilson trimmer. If you have a Wilson trimmer I'd say get the Wilson reamer.

Attached Files

delmarskid1 posted this 15 October 2014

A countersink bit in a drill press works very well and is plenty fast. I haven't had experience with the RCBS rig.

Attached Files

RicinYakima posted this 15 October 2014

Like the others, I have used RCBS, Lee and C&H. None worked well, either not enough, or pushed the case up through the shellholder trying to get pockets bigger. I have use the Wilson reamer since the 1980's and have been 100% satisfied. FWIW, Ric

Attached Files

gpidaho posted this 15 October 2014

Go for a Dillon 600 Pat GP

Attached Files

JeffinNZ posted this 16 October 2014

My club has the RCBS set. I used it to swage up the primer pockets of all the 1942 DIZ .303 British brass I have. Worked great.

Cheers from New Zealand

Attached Files

joeb33050 posted this 16 October 2014

I just reamed the pocket on the brass you sent me with a Lyman reamer-it was fast and worked fine.Thanks;joe b.

Attached Files

Pentz posted this 16 October 2014

I used the RCBS case deburring tool purchased nearly 50 years ago. Two firm twists in the primer pocket and the crimp is gone. Slow, yes, but as a bolt gun shooter those military cases last almost forever.

Attached Files

Vassal posted this 16 October 2014

Hornady has one on their new products list,,, coming in 2015,,,

Attached Files

Pigslayer posted this 17 October 2014

Thanks for all the input fellas. Decided to order the Horanaday primer pocket reamer. Found good reviews on it & the price is right.

Pat

If someone else had of done to me what I did to myself . . . I'd have killed him. Humility is an asset. Heh - heh.

Attached Files

Pigslayer posted this 19 October 2014

Received my Hornaday primer pocket reamer & yes it works just fine & is easy to use. But . . . shortly after I ordered it I found my small HSS countersink (made by IRWIN) and guess what? That works best of all!I chuck it up in my small battery operated dril & in two revoulutions of the drill the job is done.

Pat

Attached Files

delmarskid1 posted this 19 October 2014

Pigslayer wrote: Received my Hornaday primer pocket reamer & yes it works just fine & is easy to use. But . . . shortly after I ordered it I found my small HSS countersink (made by IRWIN) and guess what? That works best of all!I chuck it up in my small battery operated dril & in two revoulutions of the drill the job is done.

PatHA! I love being right!

Attached Files

Ken Campbell Iowa posted this 19 October 2014

re: countersinks in primer pockets ... having a bag of 223 military, and needing 222 brass ... and being a dandy machinist in my own mind ...i grabbed a countersink ...

being enthusiastic with power tools, i may have gone a little far . one potato, two potato ...

being a machinist, i determined that * fatigue-proof * steel works real good to reface my remmy bolthead where primer leaks ate all those holes around the firing pin. wow look at that:: a regular RING of fire !!

moderation in all things.

humble ken

Attached Files

gpidaho posted this 20 October 2014

Three potato , four That's a reamer not a swager Pat. Just had to get that in. GP

Attached Files

Smedley Up Over posted this 20 October 2014

Been using the L.E. Wilson case lathe since 1961, does a very good and easy job on mil surp cases

Attached Files

Pigslayer posted this 20 October 2014

gpidaho, Yes, I know that. But, as per Hornaday, it is to take the crimp from primer pockets, which it will do. One has to be careful though as it will scrape the insides of the pocket. Pat

Attached Files

delmarskid1 posted this 21 October 2014

Ken Campbell Iowa wrote: re: countersinks in primer pockets ... having a bag of 223 military, and needing 222 brass ... and being a dandy machinist in my own mind ...i grabbed a countersink ...

being enthusiastic with power tools, i may have gone a little far . one potato, two potato ...

being a machinist, i determined that * fatigue-proof * steel works real good to reface my remmy bolthead where primer leaks ate all those holes around the firing pin. wow look at that:: a regular RING of fire !!

moderation in all things.

humble kenYes, it takes a light touch. I made a few funnels before I caught on.

Attached Files

Pigslayer posted this 22 October 2014

"Funnels” LOL

Attached Files

Vassal posted this 22 October 2014

I used my lee chamfer tool for this job on ONE batch of 9mm. It was a functional idea but not a practical one. And yes I ended up with a bit of funneling...

Attached Files

Show More Posts
Close