.300 Blackout

• 20K Views
  • Last Post 23 September 2017
technojock posted this 07 November 2014

I have a .300 BLK H&R Handi rifle on order and I'd like to make some loads for it ASAP.  However I'm not finding a much in the way of load data for it.  Since the .300BLK isn't much bigger than the .30 Carbine, would it be OK to use .30 Carbine data as a starting point?

I have unique, red dot and 2400 that I can use and maybe a few others.  I have some 120g cast bullets meant for the .30 carbine and the I plan to use the molds I bought to cast .30-30 bullets to get me started.

Any recomendations?

Tony

Attached Files

Order By: Standard | Newest | Votes
onondaga posted this 07 November 2014

http://castbulletassoc.org/view_user.php?id=3524>technojock consider the mold specifically designed for your cartridge:

http://www.midwayusa.com/product/938614/lee-2-cavity-bullet-mold-tl309-230-5r-30-caliber-309-diameter-230-grain-300-aac-blackout-tumble-lube-5-ogive-radius

Gary

Attached Files

Ken Campbell Iowa posted this 07 November 2014

i do see that there are commercial loads for the 30 b.o. using 125 gr bullets .

the new 32-20 ? the new 30 carbine ? the new 32 H&R ?

at least there will be plenty of cheap brass, especially if you have a hacksaw and a 0.311 chucking reamer.

ken

ps: you would suppose that the spec throat might be  an inch of freebore; an lbt or loverin style bullet might work better for short bullets.

Attached Files

John Alexander posted this 07 November 2014

I hate to say the obvious but ---

If you use any loading data it should only be for bullets of the same weights.  If you try heavy bullets which seems to be the thing with the BO  like the one linked to in Gary's post do not use any recommendation for the 30 carbine which will all be much lighter bullets.

John

Attached Files

technojock posted this 07 November 2014

That's what I intended to do. My Lyman manual lists .30 carbine loads up to 130g bullets and that's enough to get me started.

Later on I hope to find data for cast bullets up to around 200 grains. Data for jacketed loads is pretty easy to come by but not for cast...

Tony

Attached Files

jhrosier posted this 08 November 2014

Tony, The .300 Blackout has been around for a dozen or so years, but under other names. The cartridge started as the .300 Whisper. That name was copyrighted so the cartridge was called the .30-221 to get around the copyright. The .30-221 evolved into the .30-223 to allow the use of more common .223/5.56 brass without the need to reduce the neck thickness by turning. The .30 Blackout was originally offered as the .30 AAC Blackout.All of these named cartridges are nearly identical in dimensions and could probably use each others' loading data without any problem. The available load data is distinguished mainly by whether the velocity is above or below the speed of sound.  Jack

Attached Files

technojock posted this 08 November 2014

I'm aware of the history of the 7.62x35 and since it's been around this long, why is load data so hard to find?

Tony

Attached Files

mike morrison posted this 08 November 2014

Lee 200gr gc. sized to .311  using data2200 gives moa if I do my part. I have not tried lighter wt bullets. Have a 247gr mould but the 12 twist will not allow it to shoot well. your handi should be a faster twist. good luck it is a fun round.

Attached Files

technojock posted this 08 November 2014

I think the Handi is 1 in 10 twist but I'm not sure.

I was going through my Hornady manual (8th) and what do you know but the .300 Whisper is listed in the handgun section. There's a bunch of good data using some of the powders I actually have...

I'm kinda tapped out right now and it'll likely be spring before I get any new molds...

Tony

Attached Files

JSH posted this 08 November 2014

Do a search for 30-20 and the 30-221. Both will work in the blackout, which is supposed to be a better mouse trap of sorts. If you can't find any data specifically for cast use jacketed. I use aa9/wc820 with 155-200 grainers. You need info contact me would be happy to help. Jeff

Attached Files

Tom Acheson posted this 08 November 2014

My XP-100 and RPM XL are both chambered in .30 Silhouette. Years ago this was also known as......30 Juras, .30 Apache, .30/223, etc. It is built on a 223 Rem case necked up to .30 cal.

Using a 180-grain LBT CB I've found that 17 of 4759, 19 Re-7, 25 of N-135 and 10 of 4756 worked. Using a 160 back off on all of those a bit.

Tom

Attached Files

Ken Campbell Iowa posted this 09 November 2014

tom ... back off powder charge for lighter bullets ?

ken

Attached Files

Tom Acheson posted this 09 November 2014

Ken,

Usually you can up the charge with a lighter bullet but I was trying for less recoil in the 10 1/2” barreled RPM. The bullet is that newer one that Ed Harris had a hand in designing offered in a group buy over on the mis-spelled site. A multy cavity aluminum mould by Heavy Metal (I think). Eventually 15 of 4759 worked.

Tom

Attached Files

Ed Harris posted this 15 November 2014

Based on my experience loading for the 7.62x39, RL7 should be about optimum for the .300 AAC Blackout and you can probably just fill the case. But unless you have a barrel of twist faster than 8” I would not expect very good results with the elongated 240-grain Lee bullet at subsonic velocity.   A shorter bullet such as #311299 shoots accurately in a .30-'06 with ten-inch twist barrel at subsonic velocities with 6 grains of Bullseye, without the GC. The NOE clone of #314299 works well for me in the .303 British with similar loads and in '03 Springfield and Winchester 54 .30-'06s with worn barrels.

If you don't need subsonic loads for use with a suppressor, a bullet of about 160 grains shoots flatter and has more general application.   See the thread on a Group Buy for a re-run of the Ed Harris .312-160 grain bullet for some proposed dimensions I've put up for comments.

Rather than repeating my previous design which was optimized for the 7.62x39 and worn .30s needing “fat” bullets, I'm suggesting to AL at NOE that we make the bullet to fit the AAC Blackout chamber and this should also have general application for the majority of existing .30 cal. rifles out there.

Discussion is welcome.

73 de KE4SKY In Home Mix We Trust From the Home of Ed's Red in "Almost Heaven" West Virginia

Attached Files

technojock posted this 15 November 2014

Thanx Ed.  That's the kind of info I was looking for.  Can you suggest any Red Dot loads for ant weight bullets?

I have the Red Dot loads saved that you Posted on Fidonet many moons ago but this .300 Blackout is a whole other cat to skin...

Tony

Attached Files

18mm posted this 27 February 2015

AA1680, N200, R7, AA2200......low to mid teens with 160 to 180's. It's almost necessary to improvise on this cartridge but these four powders are a good starting point and in my opinion, the sweet spot. Do not go slower in burn rate. I want to add others but I haven't done any testing with powders other than those four. 2200 is equal to N200

Attached Files

18mm posted this 27 February 2015

Low to mid teens in grain weight.........sorry

Attached Files

gpidaho posted this 27 February 2015

My Handi Blackout just got in yesterday and is the advanced armament AAC Blackout 1 in 7 should be interesting with cast. Built for long, heavy bullets. Will pick it up Monday and start the measurements. I have a lot of 30cal. J words to use up and this might be the place to get them used. Ordered the Lee 220gr BO 5R mould so that's where I'll start. GP

Attached Files

onondaga posted this 27 February 2015

http://castbulletassoc.org/view_user.php?id=8045>gpidaho

The Lee 300 AAC mold is made on Lee's new mold block design with the round locator pins and very well made.  Even with my many decades casting experience, the mold was not easy to get started for me. The bullets are very long, so mold temperature and pot temp needed to be a bit hotter than I expected to get good fill out.

I suggest you cast hot enough so that you get a velvety or slightly frosted appearance to your bullets. If you cast shiny bullets with this mold, the fill out will be incomplete and diameter will also be low.

I have cast this bullet in Lyman #2 alloy and also in 2% antimonial lead from jacketed pistol scrap. Both alloys worked fine but took very different temperatures. For me, this worked out to 725 F. for the #2 alloy and 750 F. for the antimonial alloy. I cast fast enough to drop bullets 3 times a minute. I use an outboard PID for pot temperature control.

I tried both alloys subsonic in 7.62X39 and I tried the harder #2 alloy at 2,000 fps in 30-06. bullets were size throat diameter for each application.  The only surprise was that, personally, I got the best accuracy with the #2 alloy subsonic, 975 fps using H TiteGroup and no gas check in 7.62X39. I get consistent 5 shot groups less than 1/2 ” at 50 yards with the subsonic load and murdered several squirrels with the load from my Remington Spartan single shot 7.62X39.

Gary

Attached Files

gpidaho posted this 27 February 2015

Thanks for the info Gary, this is going to be a very interesting cal. to work with. I've never pored a boat tail before, would just as soon have had it flat based. This Handi has a 16” barrel and is threaded for a suppressor (headed that way) Am seriously looking at the Noe 247gr mould for subsonics but want to gather a little experience with a $20 dollar mould before springing for $s will let you all know how it goes. I'm guessing this rifle has a very long free bore as in the Whisper, we'll see. As always help and suggestions appreciated. GP

Attached Files

gpidaho posted this 28 February 2015

Blackout Guys: Matt Overadge(sp) goes by Grumpa at Boolits forms and anneals BO from .223 at a very reasonable price if you don't want to go the “Do it your self route” Lake City brass. GP

Attached Files

Show More Posts
Close